SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Low - Carb Eating . . .

John Liu
11 years ago

Our household, excepting the cats, is considering shifting to or toward a low-carb way of eating, also known as the primal or paleo diet.

(The cats inform us that they already live such an existence.)

It is still very early in our thought process. My experiment with a no-grains bachelor diet this summer was quite promising. We've started to read a well-recommended book by Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat". I found a very interesting magazine, "Health And Wellness", which summarizes Taube's book in a far more succinct fashion. I've browsed the "Mark's Daily Apple" website occasionally. And you may recall my predilection for raw meat and fish, if we can go off on the tangent of raw foodism.

This will be as part of a - okay, you remember the "Summer Of Love" in 1967? No, neither do I. But work with me here. This is going to be the "Winter Of Health" chez moi. We're going to join a gym, SWMBO will try out the bicycle lifestyle, I'm going to work on the cyclist chicken arms, and basically we're going to get a jump on New Year's Resolution season.

The part of this that is most interesting to me is the eating. Interesting in the positive, anticipatory sense - mmm, what shall we cooook? - and in the negative, apprehensive sense - what do you mean, cut down on fruit?

I'm looking now for thoughts, tips and pointers on how to successfully go from what we eat now to what we want to be eating.

Trying out a new ethnic cuisine, that's something we've done. We've not ever tried a fundamental change in our eating habits.

So:

- Good books to read? Both "for" and "against"?

- Useful websites? Apps?

- Common lessons, myths, pitfalls and blunders?

- What's a realistic goal? Not zero-carb, I assume, but some level of low-carb?

I guess I'm just looking for a general talk about low-carb eating, with emphasis on the cooking part.

Comments (33)