Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to get frozen butternut squash?

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 22:32

Hi all,
I have a recipe that calls for butternut squash. I used to buy it frozen all the time, but now I can't find it anywhere. I suppose I could substitute pumpkin?? or cook my own. Have any of you seen it anywhere? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to get frozen butternut squash?

It's so easy to cook your own it's not worth running from one store to another. Just put a chunk of butternut into a covered dish with about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom and micro wave on high for about 4 minutes or more ( depending on the power of your micro) until it's very tender and soft, drain water off and mash.
Linda C

o

Catherinet, are you near a large city? I can't get it in this small town either and I really hate peeling and slicing a butternut squash.

Beverly

o

Thanks Linda and Beverly,
Yes, My shopping has been in a large midwestern town. That's why I don't understand. I guess I'll try some places like Meiers. I tried Kroger's, Payless, and Marsh.
And they don't always carry the actual squash either.
Do you think I could substitute pumpkin? I think squash is a little sweeter and lighter, but I'm thinking pumpkin would do.
If I can't find any frozen, I guess I'll have to grow it myself next year! I used to grow it and freeze it in ice cube trays for my kids when they were babies. They loved it.

o

Birdseye has cooked winter squash and most of the grocery stores here in Baltimore sell their own house brand of cooked winter squash, too. I know it takes some searching amongst the frozen foods to find it. I think they stock very little so there may only be a few boxes of it hidden away. I've sometimes had to look at the shelf tags to find it behind something else.

Good luck.

o

THanks mom,
I got their phone number off the link you provided and I'll call them Monday and see who sells their squash. Thanks!

o

Meijers carries frozen butternut squash, as does Jewel (I just bought some for a soup recipe). The Meijer squash is organic and a bit pricier. If you have a Trader Joes near you, they often have cubed butternut and or acorn squash that you can easily cook and mash. I make one or the other once a week.

o

Thanks jcrowley!

o

In San Francisco the Rainbow Grocery definitely sells frozen butternut squash. Trader Joes's said they did not.
If you are still interested in locating frozen squash in your area contact:
Stahlbush Island Farms
Corvallis, Oregon
SIF@Stahlbush.com

o

Publix carries it!

o

Publix doesn't carry it here! As much as I love Publix I have to say their frozen veggie section leaves a lot to be desired here.

o

Maybe Trader Joes

o

Whole Foods market sells organic frozen butternut squash.

A link that might be useful:
www.stahlbush.com/products_retail_detail.php?sheet=1

o

Just bought some Birdseye today at WalMart.

o

Thanks everyone,
I still haven't found it yet, but haven't been able to get to Meijer's or Walmart. The ones with grocery stores are pretty far from here.
I've decided to grow it myself in the garden next year.
I can't believe Kroger and Marsh don't carry it. Maybe its too old fashioned a taste?? Its a great source of vitamin A.

o

Just so everyone knows, canned "pumpkin" is mostly canned butternut squash. The FDA has no legal definition of "pumpkin," and food processors use butternut because it is the richest, most dense, deepest orange, and least fibrous of all of the squash/pumpkin type things. I have read that they often use a variety of butternut called "Argonaut." So, feel free to use canned pumpkin in any butternut squash recipe.

That being said, I hope I'm actually correct in relaying this information. I recall reading this a few years ago. I actually grow my own butternuts every year, and store them in my basement. Often, they keep until well into the following summer. I personally find it extremely simple to cut one in half and nuke it until it's ready to scrape from the shell.

o

I'm in the Midwest, too, (MI) and have not been able to find frozen squash at any of my grocery stores - Walmart, Meijer, Kroger, even a local mom/pop store. I have been looking since winter, and it's now spring but still no frozen squash on the shelves.

o

The FDA has no legal definition of "pumpkin,"
That's just so...typical. They define some things to the nth degree and others they can't even be bothered define at all.

When I lived in the ohio valley, Meijer had it. Here I've seen it at Trader Joes and Whole Foods and Raleys.

o

where to get butternut squash in north wales flintshire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here