Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pecan Pie

Posted by olga_6b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 22:31

I am interested in good recipe for pecan pie which does not use corn syrup. Several members of my family have severe intolerance of corn syrup, so really need to find something w/o it.
Thank you very much.
Olga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pecan Pie

Pecan pie was made before the advent of corn syrup and there are any number of recipes available. See link below.

Other options:

-Steen's Pure Cane Syrup - http://www.steensyrup.com/recipes260.html

-Lyle's Golden Syrup (which is also made from cane sugar syrup, but much lighter and more buttery than Steen's). King Arthur has a Pecan Pie Recipe using Lyle's Golden Syrup - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lyles-golden-pecan-pie-recipe.

Maple syrup - http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1737,154174-235202,00.html

I'm going to give it a try with low-glycemic Palm Sugar and Homemade Palm Sugar Syrup:
4 c. palm sugar
2 c. water
1 T. natural Maple Flavoring (optional)
Heat until sugar dissolves.

Low-glycemic Agave Nectar - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-sanchez/pecan-pie-recipe/index.html

Here's a recipe for Homemade Corn Syrup someone shared here several years ago:

2 c. white sugar
3/4 c. water
1/4 t. cream of tartar
dash of salt
Combine all ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and put cover on for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off side of pan. Uncover and cook to softball stage - 325-degrees F. Stir often.

Cool and store in a covered container at room temperature. It keeps about 2 months. Yield: almost 2 cups.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Eddy Van Damme - Corn Syrup Free Pecan Pie

o

I have a great recipe for Maple Pumpkin Pecan Pie. It started as a Gourmet recipe but I've made a number of changes. You can find it on the link below at my recipe blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Pumpkin Pecan Pie

o

Here's a pecan pie recipe from Steen's. I have not made it, but I do use Steen's Syrup (in gingerbread instead of molasses) and it is delicious. I order it from Louisiana. Those in the South can buy it in stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steen's Pecan Pie

o

Thank you. This is wonderful. I just LOVE pecan pie.
Will need to try them all:)
Olga

o

I started making Nick Malgieri's "Heart of Dixie" pecan pie recipe after it was posted here by Lakeguy. It's the only one I make now - not too sweet and lots of pecans; sometimes, I add more.

Heart of Dixie Pecan Pie
Source Nick Malgieri

One batch Sweet Pastry Dough, for a 1-crust pie

Filling
1 cup dark corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons Bourbon
2 cups pecan halves or pieces, or a combination
Prepare and chill the dough.

For the filling, combine corn syrup and sugar in saucepan and stir to mix. Place over low heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. Remove from heat, add butter and allow butter to melt. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs to break up and whisk in salt and Bourbon. Whisk in syrup and butter mixture, being careful not to over mix. Allow to cool while preparing bottom crust.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set a rack in the lowest level. For the bottom crust, lightly flour the work surface and the dough and roll it to a 12-inch disk. Fold the dough in half and place it in the pan; unfold the dough and press it firmly into the pan. Trim away all but 1/2-inch excess dough at edge of pan. Fold dough under and flute edge.

Arrange pecans in crust. Skim foam from top of filling (or the top will have an unattractively mottled surface) and pour over pecans. With the back of a fork, press the pecans down into the filling so that they are immersed.
Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until the crust is baked through and the filling is set and well puffed in the center. Cool the pie on a rack and serve warm or at room temperature.

o

Oops - my apologies. I just noticed that you said you needed a recipe without corn syrup. (Someday, I'll learn to read and comprehend at the same time!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here