Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Good News :-)

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 22:23

Hi everyone,

Lots of cooking related news to share!

First of all, mom bought a new set of cookware and we love it! It's Rachel Ray and it's in one of my favorite colors: orange! She got it from a catalog and she it was kind of an early Christmas present lol.

Second, I made my dill refrigerator pickles, using a mix from the store. I gave one jar to my sister and one jar to my gram, my mom's mom (NOT the one who's lemonade I always share about lol). Both got rave reviews. My eldest niece and our one cousin ate the jar that I gave to my sister! Gram loved them too and she said she ate half of a jar in one setting!

Lastly, it'll be canning time again this Christmas, because she's getting me a new canning rack from Kitchen Krafts along with a jam/jelly/preserves/pickles book and a strainer for her. We'll be making some strawberry jam. I found a recipe from a canning website called Pick Your Own. They have a Triple Berry Jam recipe that they say has been very popular when they've made it and gave it away. Triple Berry Jam is strawberry, blackberry and raspberry. They use low/no sugar pectin, in which you use 4 cups of sugar instead of the usual 7 cups and it has made their jams set extremely well :).

Hope you're all doing well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

P.S. I'm writing out a few recipe cards for a friend as a Christmas present. I was lucky to find the cards at a local Dollar General where they were on sale. Cute little cards lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Good News :-)

OK, I'm happy for you, but you're making me feel guilty because you're already talking Christmas and I haven't even started planning my DH's birthday party for the first weekend in October......LOL!

o

Wolfie, your excitement is contagious! I'm so glad to see things going well for you and that you're enjoying your adventures in cooking!

o

Your excitement is contagious! I'm happy that your pickles were so good. Anxious to hear about that mixed berry jam.

/tricia

o

That's great! It's so gratifying to create something people like! Pats on the back for you!

Sally

o

You sound like you are really enjoying all the new equipment! I'll bet those orange pans brighten up the kitchen!

Do you have any soup recipes in your planning as the cooler weather moves in?
Linda C

o

Good Morning Moonwolf, I grew up in a household in which
my Mother canned 'everything'. Out of necessity, not
because it was something she liked to do. When I was
your age, I was newly married, and my bride was clueless
about such things. Looking back on my life, I have always
tried to recreate my youth, whenever I could, and canning
was one of those things. Cherish the adventure, as it is
a very rewarding one. And . . . I can't wait for your
first attempts at making bread, so don't forget to share
those with us.

o

Thank you. everyone!

Linda C, I have some soup/stew recipes that I have in my recipe box that I can try this fall/winter. I have one called Easy Oven Stew that looks yummy. I'm on the hunt for a French Onion soup recipe now. It's rainy today, so that'll be one of the things on my to-do list for today. Plus I have some other goodies that are good for cooler weather: hot chocolate, baked beans, mushroom onion round steak, scalloped corn, bread pudding, just to name a few lol.

I personally believe canning is a dying art, but it's very useful to learn in the long run. My gram (the one I always talk about-dad's mom), used to can a long time ago and I always enjoyed her canned peaches and pears. Yum :D.

Bread baking...mmm...one of the most refreshing scents in this world.

As for the jam, the Triple Berry Jam is one I'll have to make one of these days. Right now, it's just plain strawberry jam for this Christmas :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here