SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sands99

Hi Honey I'm home! With tons of maple syrup...

sands99
16 years ago

Hi guys I went to Vermont for a week and change and now I'm back with a quart of grade A Amber and a quart of Grade B cooking quality maple syrup and armed with the Vermont cooking pamphlet but I'd love to have the board's favorite uses of maple syrup and in return I will post any recipes I use that work well from the pamphlet.

Comments (30)

• booberry85
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maple Pecan Cookies

At first these didnt strike me as anything spectacular, but yet I couldnÂt help but eat more of them. IÂd find myself craving them! I like the Grade B maple syrup in the cookies. This recipe is from Penzeys Spices Harvest 2006 catalog. This makes 3-4 dozen cookies.

Ingredients

2 sticks butter, softened
    ½ cup sugar
    1 egg yolk
    3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 cups flour
    1 ¼ cups pecans, coarsely chopped

In a medium bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar until well blended. Add the maple syrup, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until well blended. Mix in flour and pecans until blended. Divide the dough in half and shape into long logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Take the dough out of the frig one roll at a time. Unwrap. Slice the dough into ½ inch thick slices. Place the disks on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes until golden.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I use quite a bit of maple syrup...good to sweeten many things, a favorite for oatmeal, baked beans (both the doctored up and from scratch) and I really can't use anything else on pancakes or french toast. I buy 3 gal of the dark every spring.

Maple Pecan Muffins

2 Cups all purpose flour

1/4 Cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1-1/2 Teaspoons baking powder

1/4 Teaspoon salt

1 egg

1/2 Cup maple syrup

1/2 Cup milk

1/2 Cup butter or margarine melted

1 Teaspoon vanilla

1 Cup chopped pecans

1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

1/8 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
    . Heat oven to 400° F.

Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl, set aside.

Beat egg in small bowl, stir in syrup, milk, butter and vanilla.

Add to flour mixture, stir until just moistened (batter will be lumpy) stir
    in pecans.

Spoon batter into paper-lined or greased muffin pans filling each section
    2/3 full.

Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon sprinkle evenly over each muffin.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden
    brown.

MAPLE\-OATMEAL SCONES 2 cups all purpose flour 1/4 cup sugar 2 tsp cream of tartar 3/4 tsp baking soda ½ cup butter ½ cup quick\-cooking rolled oats ½ cup B&R Farms Dried Apricots 2 eggs 2 tbsp maple syrup 1 tbsp milk 1 tsp maple syrup 1 tsp milk In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cream of tartar, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in rolled oats and B&R Farms dried apricots. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. In a small mixing bowl, combine eggs, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon milk. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened. Form dough into a ball (dough may be sticky.) Transfer dough to a cookie sheet. Roll or pat with lightly floured hands into a circle, 3/4 inch thick and about 7 inches in diameter. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges (do not separate wedges). Brush scones with mixture of 1 teaspoon maple syrup and 1 teaspoon milk. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, with additional maple syrup, if desired. Makes 6 to 8 scones.

MAPLE-SOY GLAZED SALMON with GINGERED BOK CHOY
    ~~from Cook's Illustrated

serves 4 time: 25 minutes

½ C maple syrup
    ¼ C soy sauce
    1 Tabsp grated fresh ginger
    1 Tabsp plus 1 tsp veg. oil
    1 large head bok choy (about 2 lbs) root end removed, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces
    4 center-cut salmon fillets (each about 6 ounces and 1¼ inches thick) remove pin bones and pat dry
    2 tsp sesame seeds

Adjust one oven rack to the lowest position and a second rack to the upper middle position. Heat oven to 500°

Bring the maple syrup and soy sauce to a simmer in a small saucepan over med-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until syrupy and reduced to ½ cup, 8-9 min.

Meanwhile, combine the grated ginger and 1 tabsp oil in a largebowl. Add the bok choy, ¼ tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Spread the bok choy on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Grease a second rimmed baking sheet with the remaining 1 tsp oil and position the salmon fillets, skin side down, on the sheet, with at least 1 inch between them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Place the bok choy on the lower oven rack and the salmon on the upper oven rack. Cook for 5 min, then pull the salmon from the oven and spead a thick layer of the maple glaze over each fillet, top and sides. Use a pastry brush. Return to the oven. Continue to cook until the bok choy leaves are wilted, stems tender and the salmon is firm to the touch, about 3 min. longer.

Transfer bok choy to a platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Brush the fillets with another layer of glaze and transfer to individual plates. Serve immediately, with any remaining glaze.

Notes, I almost always double the glaze as some like the extra at the table. Since the glaze also flavors the bok choy so nice, I have served the slamon on the same platter as the bok choy.

If you use the glaze in other ways, remember to wait and add it late in the cooking so it doesn't burn.

Maple\-Glazed Salmon with Pineapple Salsa 4 to 6 Ounce salmon filet per person Marinade: 1 Tablespoon maple syrup 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce 1 tablespoon pineapple juice 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger 1 clove fresh garlic, mashed Place salmon filets in a resalable plastic bag. Combine marinade ingredient in a non reactive bowl or measuring cup. Pour marinade over filets and refrigerate from 1 to 24 hours. In a grill basket sprayed with cooking spray, grill the salmon skin side down first over hot coals. Flip after 2\-3 minutes and cook for another 1\-3 minutes, or until desired doneness. Serve with pineapple salsa spooned on the side. Pineapple Salsa 1 medium sized ripe tomato, chopped into small cubes 1/4cup chopped red bell pepper 2 pickled jalapeno pepper slices, deseeded & finely chopped 1/2 cup pineapple chucks, fresh or canned 1 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon sugar Place all ingredients in a small non reactive saucepan. Let simmer over low heat about 5 minutes. Cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve with salmon. Yield: 4 filets ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PORK TENDERLOIN WITH MAPLE GLAZE \-\- Weed Found this recipe on Epicurious and the third time I made it I accidentally burned the beginning part. That mistake made the sauce about ten times better than it already was. 3 12\- to 14\-ounce pork tenderloins, cut in half 2 Tbl crumbled dried sage leaves or rubbed sage 2 Tbl crushed garlic Oil to moisten sage/garlic Salt, pepper 2 Tbl. Oil 2 Tbl Butter + 1 more for shallots 1 cup pure maple syrup + ¼ cup to finish sauce ¾ cup apple cider vinegar + ¼ cup to deglaze pan 2 Tbl. Dijon mustard ½ cup shallots, finely diced Mix sage and garlic, add a little oil to moisten. Rub all over tenderloins, sprinkle on salt and pepper and let sit one hour. Mix 1 cup maple syrup, ¾ cup apple cider vinegar and the Dijon and set aside. Melt butter and oil in a deep pan or pot over medium\-high heat until hot and bubbling. Add pork tenderloins and cook, turning to brown on all sides. The garlic and butter will start burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan that is ok and will make the sauce delicious. Pork will be very dark too, and almost crispy on the outside. Cook pork until internal temperature reaches 140. (pork will be med\-rare, it will cook further as it rests and in the last step.) Remove pork from pan, put on a platter and cover loosely with foil. Keeping the heat on med\-high, add the shallots to the pan along with another tablespoon of butter. Saute shallots, stirring constantly, until they are limp and taking on a bronze color, about 3 minutes. If they start to burn before they go limp, lower heat, but bring it back up for the next step. Deglaze the pan with ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, scraping up as much of the burnt stuff on the bottom of the pan as possible. Add the maple syrup/vinegar/Dijon mix to pan. Lower heat to a lively simmer and cook until sauce thickens. Keep digging around on the bottom to get even more of the burnt stuff. Sauce will be very dark, almost black, from the goodies on the bottom of the pan. When sauce is desired consistency, add ¼ cup more maple syrup and return pork and any accumulated juices to pan. Heat the pork through in the simmering sauce. Do not overcook pork inside should be nicely pink, like a med\-well steak. I just cut it open and peek :) Put one piece of pork on each plate and cover with sauce. Serve with white or brown rice and smother that with the sauce too. Bon Appétit October 2000 (with changes and additions by weed!)

Corn Cake Breakfast Stacks with Maple Butter

Featured on Food tv network 40$ per day, hosted by Rachel Ray.

Corncakes:
    4 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk
    3 tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder

Maple Butter:
    1/2 pound softened butter
    1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup

8 strips thick-cut smoked bacon
    2 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
    Ground cinnamon to taste
    Salt
    1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup, warmed
    1/4 cup melted butter
    Mint, confectioners' sugar and blueberries for garnish, if desired

For the corncakes, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and melted butter in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in corn kernels. Sift together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk-corn mixture and stir until just combined. Let stand for 20 minutes in a cool place.

For the maple butter: blend the softened butter with 1/2 cup maple syrup in a small bowl and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, brown the bacon strips. Drain them on paper towels and transfer to a cookie sheet. Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon and salt to taste. Sear them in bacon renderings until golden brown and place them on the sheet pan with the bacon.

Wipe out your skillet and return to medium heat. Add just enough butter to coat the bottom of the skillet and ladle 1/4 cup corn batter. Let cook until the edges of the pancake start to brown and bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip, cook another 2 minutes, then transfer to the cookie sheet with the apples and the bacon. Repeat until you have a dozen corncakes. Place the cookie sheet and your serving plates in the oven until everything is warm, about 4 minutes.

On each plate, place 1 corn cake, top that with 2 strips of bacon, another corn cake, 2 slices of apple and another corn cake. Top with maple butter and drizzle the plate with some of the warmed maple syrup. Garnish with a sprig of mint, powdered sugar and a few fresh berries if you desired.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Making maple syrup

Q

Comments (6)
    We live in Central Ontario. We've only tapped 6 trees so we're not going to get any more than we can use ourselves and maybe give a few 350ml bottles to some friends. He's cooking to the recommended 4 degrees celcius over the boiling point of water (this is what the local syrup supplies store advised, as well as a couple books). It's really quite light. Tastes amazing, but it's reeeally light. We are cooking outside using a propane fire and stock pot set up. When it gets dark and he only has about a half hour to hour left, he brings it inside to finish on the stove. So far, we have just under 5 litres of finished syrup, with another ~60L of sap waiting to go, plus whatever we'll collect today. The filters are staying relatively clean compared to what you've described, brendasue. Where are you located? This is our first attempt at doing this, so we're definitely learning as we go! It's producing far more than we imagined. My boyfriend is already talking about "expanding operations" to tap a few more trees at a different property that his dad owns.
    ...See More

Maple syrup

Q

Comments (15)
    bcskye, Yes, you can tap hickories - and walnuts, too for that matter; there was an article published in the Proceedings of the Northern Nut Growers Assn annual meeting several years back, where they'd done just that - and the black walnut syrup came out pretty well-received in taste tests(IIRC, it beat out maple syrup). The only potential drawback I can see for you is that weather conditions in your area may not foster the sort of 'sap run' that folks farther north of you get(or, I may be totally wrong in this theory.). I'll hazard a guess that the shagbark hickory syrup you're seeing is made by boiling strips of bark peeled off the trees, straining that liquor, adding sugar, and boiling it down further. It's a well-known(well, at least in the nutgrowers circle I run in) procedure - and I've made hickory syrup in that manner, using shagbark/shellbark nut fragments left over after cracking and picking, whole cracked mockernut hickory nuts, and nice clean mockernut husks. I just couldn't get past the thought of all the lichens, bug frass, and poison ivy rootlets that might be present on strips of exfoliating shagbark bark and what off-flavors they might impart.
    ...See More

Pure Maple Syrup

Q

Comments (21)
    Not sure i've ever had the same twice. Seems different year to year, batch to batch. I usually get mine from smaller production sellers or neighbors. Must be a hundred different flavor profiles but i've never had more than just a few at a time. Not enough to really do a taste test. I do have a grade A amber dark right now that is rather pale and just has a hint of vanilla. Not very interesting so i prefer the darker maple B flavors. I like the smokey caramel. I built an outdoor evaporator probably ten years ago but put it in the worst spot. Under 10 ft of snow now, maybe more. It gathers wind drift snow. When it is time to tap, this year maybe march 1st, we'll have easy access to the trees up the hill but the wood fired evaporator is way down by the garden and is the last area to thaw. And no way to dig it out. Pre-heating on the barn wood stove way uphill. Dumb planning. We'll figure something out. I only have 10 taps and my pan in tiny. About 2x3 ft. I'm just hoping for a gallon, 1/2 would even be super. Any more will be gifted. As long as we have fun, i'm game.
    ...See More

WOW! Maple syrup prices have sure gone up!

Q

Comments (7)
    Last weekend my daughter came home from college and we went shopping to stock her pantry. I paid $18 for 32 oz. of maple syrup at Sam's Club. I darned near had a heart attack! But it's still cheaper for me to have her cook her own breakfast than to eat in the dining halls so I bought it. I refuse to buy it for home. My next door neighbor sells the most wonderful honey for $4 a quart and it goes a long way so that's what we use at home.
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    16 years ago

My favourite way to use Maple syrup is in desserts. Here are a three tried and true.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

=================
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup cream
    1/3 cup of butter
    1/4 cup of maple syrup
    pinch of salt
    vanilla
    . Add the two sugars, butter and cream maple syrup and salt into a sauce
    pan. Place over medium heat. Stir while bringing to a boil. Lower the
    heat and continue to stir slowly while the mixture cooks. After about
    7 minutes, test by pouring a small amount into some cold water. You
    want it to form a soft ball. You might need to cook it for another
    minute or two. Remove from the heat, add a couple of teaspoons of
    vanilla and start stirring. It takes about 14 or 15 minutes for the
    fudge to cool and thicken. Pour into buttered dish.

Option: Replace the cream and cup of white sugar with one can of
    Sweetened Condensed Milk and increase the maple syrup to 1 cup.

To make Carmels instead of fudge,

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    1/2 cup white
    1/2 cup white corn syrup
    1 cup butter
    1 cup cream
    pinch of salt
    vanilla

Cook to almost hard ball stage.
    Let cool slightly, stir and then pour into butter pan or mini muffin
    tins.

Maple Mousse With Walnut Praline
    ================================
    Source: Marg (Friend)

1 Tablespoon Gelatin
    1 1/4 cup cold water
    2 eggs beaten
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 Cup whipping cream - whipped
    . Soak gelatin in cold water. Beat eggs and combined with maple syrup in
    top of a double boiler. cook stirring constantly over boiling water
    until it coats a spoon. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Strain if
    necessary. Refrigerate until thick. Whip cream until stiff. Whip
    gelatin mixture. Fold in whip cream until well combined. Pour into 3
    1/2 cup mold and refrigerate until set.

Praline

1 cup walnuts
    1 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup cold water

toast walnuts at 350 for 10 minutes. Do not burn Add water to sugar in
    heavy sauce pan and stir until sugar has dissolved. Cook until sugar
    turns a golden brown. Add nuts and immediately pour on to a buttered
    cookie sheet. Let set for one hour. Chop coarsely. Sprinkle chopped
    praline over each serving.

====================
    Source: Foodtv.ca
    Anna Olson

Dough

* 2 cups all purpose flour
    * 2 tbsp oats
    * 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * 1/2 tsp salt
    * 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
    * 2 tbsp sour cream
    * 2 tbsp maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2. Combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter the texture of coarse meal. Stir sour cream and maple syrup and add to dough, Mixing until it just comes together. Chill dough for 15 minutes.
  • Marigene
    16 years ago

Here is another, that you can add to your "try" list.

Maple-Cream Apple Tart

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup butter

Apple filling
    3 Macintosh or green apples, peeled cored, and sliced
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Cream filling
    2 egg yolks
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup maple syrup (no substitutes)

In a large bowl stir together the flour, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of cornmeal. Press the crumbs firmly into the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan.

Arrange the apple slices on the crust in rows. In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and sprinkle over the apples. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl beat the egg yolks and stir in the cream and maple syrup. Pour evenly over the apples and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes.

Serves 8-10

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Boy, I cut and pasted like mad! I can't wait to try Boo's cookies, and Nancy's cornbread thingy. Ann your dough sounds good. How do you think that would be as a pie crust with pumpkin or squash filling?
    Sherry

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

I love this salad and I easily increase the quantity when cooking for more people.

Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad with Maple Dressing Recipe
    courtesy Rachael Ray

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 2 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

1 (10-ounce) sack baby spinach
    1/3 pound blue cheese, crumbled
    1 (6 ounce) can walnut halves, toasted
    1/4 cup maple syrup, warmed
    1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Salt and pepper

Place spinach on a large platter. Top with blue cheese and walnuts. Warm maple syrup in a small saucepan. Pour vinegar into a small bowl. Whisk oil into vinegar in a slow stream. Whisk maple syrup into dressing in a slow stream. Pour dressing down over the salad platter and serve. Season with salt and pepper, to your taste.

NOTE: I added pear havles with this and it was wonderful. At Christmas time, I added some fresh cranberries.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Only two quarts? Nope, that's not enough, LOL, I love maple.

This is one of my favorite bread recipes. It's dark, moist, a bit sweet. The surprise ingredient is the coffee, I just use whatever was leftover from the morning's pot.

Maple Oatmeal Bread
    Makes
    1 loaf
    3/4 cup warm coffee, plus a bit extra if you need it
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1 tablespoon soft butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 1/2 cups bread flour
    2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in the order recommended for your bread maker. Select basic bread setting. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing and add 1-2 T flour or coffee if needed.

This can also be made by hand, just warm the wet ingredients (coffee, butter, syrup), add the yeast, then the dry stuff. Knead 5-7 minutes, let rise, punch down, shape into loaves, let rise again until doubled. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until nicely browned. I like mine crusty and a little darker, so I bake it a bit longer.

Annie

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

Maple syrup lasts a long long time in the fridge; although with all the above yummy recipes, I give you 3 months and you'll be looking for more, lol....

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

I use maple in lots of cooking, but then again i live in Vermont. LOL!! I use it in vinaigrette, marinades for meat, mixed with butter and soy sauce as a marinade for salmon, in place of honey in many recipes including bread (although i also use honey sometimes), and yeah also over pancakes and waffles etc.

btw, in this house the ONLY maple syrup we use is Grade B. We just went to the fair where we could taste any syrup we wanted and my boys (2 and 5) would only take the B. Yup, they know what they like.

-Robin

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Robin, I absolutely agree with your boys, it's grade B for me, I love that dark, maple-y flavor.

BTW, I made your prize winning nectarine freezer jam for the Michigan Run, we'll have it on Ann T's scones, I think. It's very yummy but my favorite is still your tomato marmalade.

Annie

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

I use it in so many things! cause we have good maple syrup also:)

Salad dressings.. Asian sauces.. it's my favorite sweetener!

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Another Grade B fan, in fact I just bought some more this weekend.

I think I only once used maple syrup for anything other than breakfast, but some of these recipes sure sound tempting!

• msazadi
    16 years ago

This is one we got at our cooking class in Stowe. It seemed ho-hum also but was darn good and we just kept eating them...

Quite similar to Boo's recipe

DESSERT Maple Pecan Drop Cookies via Trappe Family Lodge Stowe VT
    2c maple Syrup
    2 eggs
    1c melted butter
    2 tsp baking powder
    4c All Purpose flour
    1 c chopped pecans
    1. Mix all ingredients together
    2.Scoop (we used sm ice cream scoops - 1T?) or drop cookie glob on parchment or greased cookie sheet
    3. Bake 375 for approx 12 min. Cookies will be light and will have risen.
    The notes she told us were that these cookies can go very close together on the sheet since they rise (baking powder) and do not spread (baking soda). Cindy also said they usually keep the ovens at 350 and bake accordingly, by sight and touch.
    I think we made about 80+cookies. They were glazed with a powdered sugar, maple syrup glaze

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I adore Ann's Maple Oatmeal crust..It's the best darn crust for anything! Berries, apples....give it a whirl...

Terri...who needs to find some grade B...well any maple syrup at the moment..I'm out!

Oh and my fav chicken recipe comes with a Maple BBQ sauce..
    I'll go find it!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1 cup ketchup

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons dry mustard

1/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 teaspoon kosher salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.

Yields approximately 2 1/2 cups sauce

You don't get alot of maple flavor, but I bet with the B you would..or add just a touch more..

It came with a Beer Butt Chicken recipe for the grill..but I make up a double batch and keep some in a canning jar, for when hubby does any meat on the grill and wants "good" BBQ sauce..

• diana55
    16 years ago

"CANADIAN" LIQUID GOLD!!! It's flows freely here in Canada. Here is a good website for recipes....http://www.pinecone.on.ca/MAGAZINE/maplerecipes.html Enjoy !!! Diana55

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

I strongly recommend Ann's Maple Cream Fudge. Make a ton of it, and send some (or all) to me!!

Maple Self-Saucing Pudding
    1 1/2 cups flour (preferably unbleached)
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 cup milk
    3/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup maple or white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk. Spread batter in a 23cm greased baking pan or dish. Combine syrup, water and butter in saucepan and heat until butter is melted. Gently pour the heated liquid over batter in the pan and bake about 45 minutes until cake is lightly browned. The maple syrup mixture will sink to the bottom where it forms a pudding-like sauce. Cool briefly, and top with whipped cream or ice cream.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

My dad grew up in New Hampshire and stared making this fudge way back in the early 1940's. It was always a special Christmas treat growing up. After he died 20 years ago, I have carried on the tradition.

Maple Fudge

1 Cup Maple Syrup
    1 Cup White Sugar
    1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
    1/4 Cup Butter
    1/2 cup Black Walnuts or Butternuts
    1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla

Boil syrup, sugar, cream and butter to the soft ball stage. Remove from heat.
    Add nuts and vanilla.
    Beat until ready to pour into a buttered pan.
    Let cool till set.
    Cut, eat and enjoy!

He also loved maple syrup over fresh snow. Of course that was back in the days before pollution, or before they worried about it! I love maple syrup over homemade vanilla ice cream. Yummy!
    Clare

• sands99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh. My. God.

Alright I have already told my husband he is gonna be soooooo fat! LOL

Can't wait to make'em all. BTW, If I kill my supply my VT farmer guys ships!!! woo hoo

I'm making seared scallops with a bacon maple cream sauce over rice glass noodles tonite...if dh ever gets home.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Grade B, all the way! I am definitely saving this entire thread. I'm thinking maple candy for the holidays (if any makes it to the recipients).

Oh my gosh, so many wonderful recipes. To add to the links, here's one from Ontario I really like.

Carol

• khandi
    16 years ago

I pour maple syrup over vanilla frozen yogurt (or ice cream) and add frozen blueberries!!! Yummo! Actually, I can just drink the stuff! LOL

• woodie
    16 years ago

Grade B girl here. Love anything maple! I really love it best over vanilla ice cream so as not to mess up the great flavor!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Okay so then steer a girl in the direction of a reputable reasonally priced online shopping/shipping source...

We've got apples and honey in WA..but I've yet to see Maple Syrup.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Terri, how rural are you? Do you ever get to Trader Joe's? They have excellent prices on maple syrup, for us left-coasters.

Carol

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Carol, I'm on an ISLAND...So everthing "good" is a distance.
    LOL

I think the last bottle I had was from TJ's. But it was small and didn't last long.

I'll have to put it on my shopping list for hubby. I make him stop at TJ's since he drives by it (sorta) with his commute.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I guess it is! Not everyone would ferry over for maple syrup!

I'm sorry I don't remember the price, but I remember it was very reasonable. I got a 25 oz. bottle of Grade B (from Quebec) at TJ's.

Carol

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

Costco also has maple syrup at a pretty reasonable price. It helps this New Englander survive in CA. It is under their own brand, Kirkland. It is Grade A, Medium Amber 64 oz. bottle, imported from Canada.
    Clare

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

LOL Carol, I do have a bridge at the north end..but it's still a trip...I don't know how my hubby commutes daily so far..but he does it and I'm grateful for the ability to stay on my Island.

I have purchased at Costco in the past too, and yep it's Canadian.. (BTW, Costco is exactly 33 miles from their gas station to my front door, over 2 bridges, and 45 minutes on a good day. TJ's is another 40 plus minutes on a non existant traffic day down I5.)

I was kinda wanting to see if there was a difference from Canadian and NE syrup. I think I need to call my brother, he's supposed to be heading to the NE this fall or winter. I'll beg him to send me some... :o) Yeah that's it...

• readinglady
    16 years ago

And I thought driving over Cornelius Pass 26 miles to Costco and T.J's was trouble enough!

I can see you becoming a maple syrup connaisseur, LOL, trying syrups from all over the place. A maple syrup tasting perhaps?

Carol

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Terri, I sent you an e-mail.

Linda