SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Another Fall recipe to share.

caflowerluver
16 years ago

I was talking to my Mom today and we were talking about our favorite things to bake. She sent me this recipe back in 1975 a year after I graduated from college and was on my own in Chicago. I have been making it ever since. The loaves come out very flavorful and moist. They are always a hit when I take them to social gatherings. It makes 2 loaves so you can freeze one for later. It was a Betty Crocker recipe she saw in a magazine. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have.

Clare

HARVEST LOAVES

Apple Raisin Loaves

3 eggs

1 ½ cups vegetable oil

2 cups chopped unpared apples

1 ½ cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 1/3 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon cloves

2/3 cup chopped nuts

2/3 cup raisins

Heat oven 350 deg. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans, 9x5x3 inches. Beat eggs, oil, apples, sugar, and vanilla on low speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 1 minute.

Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Beat on low speed, scraping bowl occasionally until moistened, about 15 seconds. Beat on medium speed 45 seconds. Stir in nuts and raisins. Spread in pans.

Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely before slicing. Refrigerate leftover bread. You can also freeze the loaves once cool.

Carrot Loaves  Substitute 2 cups shredded carrots for the apples. Add 2 Tablespoons grated orange peel with vanilla. Omit raisins.

Rhubarb Loaves - Substitute 2 cups chopped rhubarb for the apples. Add 2 Tablespoons grated lemon peel with vanilla. Omit raisins.

Zucchini Squash Loaves - Substitute 2 cups chopped unpared zucchini for the apples. Omit raisins.

Sweet Potato Loaves - Substitute 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes for the apples. Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut with vanilla. Add 1/4 cup water with the flour mixture. Omit raisins.

Squash Loaves - Substitute 2 cups shredded squash for the apples. Omit raisins.

These next three I have came up with on my own and they work also.

Pumpkin Loaves - Substitute 2 cups mashed cooked pumpkin (canned is fine) for the apples. Raisins are optional.

Persimmon Loaves - Substitute 2 cups mashed very ripe persimmon for the apples. Raisins are optional.

Banana Loaves - Substitute 2 cups mashed very ripe banana for the apples. Add 1 cup chocolate chips  optional but good!

Note: Unbleached flour can be used in this recipe. If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Comments (15)