SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richardj_gw

garage sale haul and questions

richardj
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm new here, been doing some canning for the past year. Yesterday I went to a garage sale and bought a whole mess of canning jars, rings, and lids. The lids include the zinc lids and the glass presto lids with the red rubber seals. I also got the rings with the little windows for the glass presto lids. I have some questions. First will the red seals for other brands of lids work on these presto lids? Second, the rings have some light rust, can they still be used? Third, will the red rubber seals work with the zinc lids? Or do you just use regular lids with the zinc lids?

I did a count of what I got.

56 zinc lids

162 glass presto lids

21 regular mouth pint jars

13 regular mouth 1/2 gal. jars

1 wide mouth quart jar (bummer)

22 regular mouth quarts!

woo hoo!!!!!

There was also about 100 wide mouth rings

about 250 of the presto rings

and about 100 regular rings

Plus about a dozen collector jars.

Now to find something to fill all these jars up with. The weather here wasn't much better than last year, every thing burned up in 30+ days of 100+ temps and NO rain, so not much in the way of garden produce. I'll have to get some more red rubber seals, as most of the ones that came in this batch don't look great.

I like the idea of canning meat, as I hate buying meat and getting it out of the freezer to use it and it's freezer burnt!!!

Thanks!

Richard

Comments (5)