SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Habanero harvest time

Lars
9 years ago

Yesterday we harvested some habanero chilies (fewer than half of the ones that are ready), and then we grilled them over mesquite charcoal and wood for a smoky flavor. After those were done, we grilled a large piece of salmon using the fish holder shown empty in the photo.

Today I made habanero sauce with the grilled chilies, and I think I have enough to last me about six months. This batch was more potent than the last one, and I might roast some more bell peppers to use as filler/extender. I also used a head of garlic in the grill basket, but that is not in the photo.

This time instead of using the food mill, I used a coarse strainer, and I think that maybe was not the best idea because I had to scrape the bottom of the strainer to get the puree out. First I had to find my swim mask and snorkel to wear while making this sauce. I had inadvertently put those in my closet when we had our counter tops installed, and so it took me a while to find them. Normally I store a snorkel in the kitchen, to use when I'm chopping onions, but it is particularly essential when making habanero sauce. I had to keep Kevin out of the kitchen so that he would not succumb to the fumes. After a while, I took my gloves off, and afterwards, I washed my hands with baking soda and then soap, and that seemed to work pretty well.

The salmon came out really good also.

Lars

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures