SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shersto

Canning First Time.....uh oh?

SherSto
10 years ago

So I decided to can a bunch of sweet and jalape�o peppers pulled from our uncles garden so they didn't go to waste. I found an easy recipe to try but wanted to avoid canning with a pressure cooker. So I sterilized the jars using our dishwasher, like the person said they had done. Cut up the peppers and a few small onions from the garden. I added minced jarred garlic bought from the grocery store and then canning salt, vinegar and water. I brought all ingredients to a rapid boil, filled the jars with the peppers first by spooning them out of the mixture, then added the liquid to the jars. I then had my husband screw the kids on tightly for me. We let them sit about an hour before I checked them and when I did, I thought, success! The lids sealed and they didn't bobble. But now reading up on canning some more because I thought that was way too easy, I am afraid I screwed up and have 4 pint jars of unsafe product. Does anyone know if this will be safe to consume? Reading in this now makes me believe that I did everything wrong and I am afraid to try them.

Comments (9)