Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplant Parmigiana

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 21:06

I stored my recipes on an external hard drive that is currently not working, and now I cannot find my recipe for Eggplant Parmigiana. It was based on a recipe that I found here that used Panko breadcrumbs - that's the only way I can really identify it, other than that it was posted four or five years ago, I think.

Does anyone have the original eggplant Parmesan recipe that uses Panko? I know that the eggplant was salted and drained and then fried with the breading, but the recipes I'm finding now do not salt the eggplant. I would prefer to go back to the original method, although at some point I might try the baked (instead of fried) method.

I will be able to fix my hard drive eventually, but it is going to take a while, and I cannot predict when that will happen.

Lars

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplant Parmigiana

Is this it - posted by cookingrvc?

Eggplant Parmesan with Panko
Servings: 2
1 1/2 Cup Panko , Can substitute seasoned breadcrumbs
1 oz Grated Parmesan cheese
2 t. Dried basil (eliminate if using seasoned breadcrumbs)
3 Egg whites
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 t. Salt
2 Medium eggplants - peeled & sliced into 1/4 " rounds
Olive oil cooking spray
1 1/2 C Tomato sauce
4 oz. Shredded, part-skim mozzarella
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray 2 cookie sheets with olive oil.
In shallow bowl, combine panko, parmesan cheese, and basil.
In another shallow bowl, combine egg white, lemon juice, and salt
Working one at a time, dip eggplant slices into egg white, then panko.
Place slices on baking sheet, spray tops with oil.
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, turn them over, spray again with olive oil.
Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more.
To assemble casserole, layer 1/2 eggplant in 9 x 13" baking dish.
Spoon 1/2 the sauce, then 1/2 the grated mozzarella.
Layer remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella.
Cool at 400 degrees uncovered for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
(Can assemble, them freeze or refrigerate for another day).

Or this one posted by publickman?

Eggplant Parmigiana

Ingredients:

2 medium eggplants (select ones that are long and somewhat narrow)
Kosher salt
Flour, for coating
2 eggs
2 tbsp water
1-1/2 cups Panko or dry breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp cayenne
Canola or grape seed oil, for deep frying
1 pound Mozzarella
1/4 pound sharp Provolone
1/4 pound Parmesan cheese

Sauce:
2 cups (16 oz.) prepared tomato pasta sauce
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced

Directions:

Slice the eggplant into 3/8" to 1/2" rounds and place in a large bowl with a large amount of salt, enough to coat all cut sides. You can toss the slices in the bowl if it has a cover to get the salt more evenly distributed. Then place the slices in a colander or other large pan (such as a steaming basket) with the slices vertical, and allow it to drain for at least an hour. I usually give it at least two hours for this. When sufficient water has drained from the slices, remove them from the colander and wipe off the excess salt with a brush or towel, and dry the pieces with a clean towel if they are very damp. Note: Do not leave overnight!

While the eggplant is draining, add the basil, olive oil, and garlic to the tomato sauce for extra flavor. It is not necessary to cook the sauce at this point. Prepare the mozzarella by cutting it into fairly thin slices, and grate the Provolone and Parmesan.

Heat the oil in a deep frying pan to 375 degrees and have a platter ready with paper towels for draining. Place about a cup of flour in a bowl for dipping, and mix the breadcrumbs with the cayenne in another bowl. Blend the eggs with the 2 tbsp water in a third bowl, and place the bowls in a row for coating. Prepare each slice by first lightly coating it with flour (shake off excess flour), dipping in egg, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture. Deep-fry each slice in the oil until lightly golden on both sides and then drain on paper towels.

When all the slices have been fried, get an 8"x13" (or equivalent) glass or ceramic baking dish and brush olive oil on the bottom and sides to prevent sticking. Spread a very thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish, and then place a layer of eggplant over that. Put a small amount of tomato sauce over each slice and then a slice of mozzarella over each piece, and sprinkle a bit of Provolone and Parmesan over that layer. Repeat this process until the baking dish is full, but do not overfill. The final layer will be tomato sauce with no cheese. I prefer to have all the cheese between the layers of eggplant, but you can put some on top as well.

Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant Parmigian thread

o

Yes! This is the one that I posted and have subsequently lost!! I am so glad that you found it. The reason I could not find the thread that you linked to is that kframe misspelled Parmigiana by leaving off the final "a", and therefore his thread did not show up in my search. There are so many ways to misspell Parmigiana (and mispronounce it, which is even more common), but I did check for Parmigiano, the masculine version.

This is one of my all time favorite recipes, but I hesitate to make it during the summer or hot weather, but when I saw the eggplant in the market, I caved. I generally prefer to make this in the winter, even though the eggplant is better during hot weather.

Thanks to your help, I will be able to make this recipe again the way I love it most. I already have all the ingredients, although I will be buying more Mozzarella. I have plenty of fresh basil and fresh oregano at this time of year also.

Lars

o

So glad I could help. I think my Google search was "Garden Web eggplant parmesan panko"

I love eggplant parmesan, and would like to make either recipe, but DH steadfastly refuses to eat eggplant. When we were getting large quantities of eggplant through our CSA this summer, I tried to slip some in on him, but no dice. It must be a childhood thing, because neither of his siblings will eat it either.

o

Glad you posted this, Lars! What do you like about this recipe as compared to others? I'm going to give it a try.

Sue

o

Sue, I like the eggplant fried before it is layered into the casserole. I know this adds calories and oil, but it comes out tasting very light. The texture is what I especially like, and the Panko breadcrumbs give it a bit of crunch that it does not get with regular breadcrumbs.

I'm making this tonight and perhaps I will be able to take pictures, although I do not find it a particularly photogenic dish.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here