Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food mill?

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 21:02

I want to make grape jam so I am considering a food mill, or whatever I need to remove the seeds and skins and whatever bits of stems I miss. What should I purchase? Can I also use it to remove skins and seeds for tomato sauce? What else is it good for? I've never used one.

I will do almost a lug of grapes so I want it to efficiently handle quite a lot of produce.

Thanks,

Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food mill?

Eileen, I have a Squeezo, it's similar to the currently available Victorio food mills, but mine's all metal, no plastic. There are several screens, including one for grapes.

Mine can do bushels of apples or tomatoes without blinking, the fruit goes in the top, the seeds and peels come out the end while the juice and pulp get spit out the side. Slick as a whistle, here it is being used for applesauce:

Photobucket

Annie

o

I got a cheaper Victorio style one from Lehman's Hardware two years ago for Christmas. Changed my life. I make tomato sauce with mine. Prior to that I was using a Foley style mill and going nuts! If I had the time I would use it to make all kinds of stuff. I love playing with my mill!

o

Oh, that's beautiful. Shall I look on Ebay for a Squeezo?

o

I've lost faith in eBay, I can't believe what people pay for used stuff! You might get lucky, though, although it's canning season.

You can buy them new, but they're pricy, more expensive than the Victorio is. The cheaper model would probably also suit your needs if you aren't doing bushels of produce.

I love my Squeezo, though...

Annie

o

The prices start at about 50.00. And up, way up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squeezos.

o

I debated myself about going for an all metal one. I just couldn't justify the expense. So far mine with a plastic hopper has done good, but I am gentle with it. The Squeezo ones are around 190 bucks last I checked. I actually like the fact that mine doesn't need to be clamped to a table. I really don't have a set up in my current kitchen that would work that way. But if you could get a line on a used one, you might get something good. But that is the drawback of the Squeezo food mill, you have to clamp it to something to set it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roma Food Mill at Lehmans

o

You are talking less than one lug....
Unless this will be a regular thing, I would use a Foley food mill. Not as easy nor as efficient....but for what you need, it's fine.

o

The price isn't much different between the item Laurie linked and a Foley.

o

But...I thought everyone had a Foley....if you lived closer I would lend you mine.

o

If I lived coser, I'd lend her to Squeezo. Heck, I'd help her squeeze the grapes because although I don't care for wine, I love grape jam!

That said, I don't have a Foley either. I gave mine to Doucanoe when I got the Squeezo because I never used it. It didn't work all that well and I found I was nearly as efficient with a spoon and a sieve.

Annie

o

I have an easy way to remove skin and seeds of many fruits and tomatoes using a regular blender.

I will have to take time to make a video to show.

dcarch

o

LindaC can use a Foley mill to make tomato sauce. I have better things to do than spend all that time grinding and grinding away. It took me about ten times as long. I got wore out and BF helped by rotating shifts and we both wondered why the heck we were even bothering to do that. And I thought the same thing as Annie and DC, "Heck, I should have just put this through the blender and then sieved it to get rid of the seeds, would have done just as good of a job with a whole lot less wear and tear on the arms and shoulders." Now, I make LOTS of tomato sauce because once I get the Roma mill set up it does the tomatoes so fast that I always wish I had MORE to do! Plus the spring and pivot bar on my Foley mill was evidently made of steel because as I was grinding away, rust was dripping into the sauce. I appeared to be either impossible or impractical to replace the rusty part. I scrubbed the outside but the pivot bar was inaccessible in the area between the inside and outside of the mill. The plastic Foley style mills are totally worthless unless you are maybe just pureeing already cooked applesauce.

But if you are just doing one batch of this or that, then by all means have a ball with a Foley mill!

o

My grandma made lots of jams & jellies. For jelly, I remember her using a chinois. I have one that I picked up cheap at a rummage sale. Also have a Foley, again cheap find at rummage.

I stick with these two gadgets because, given the am't of produce I process, I've never been able to justify the expense of Squeezo. I've only seen one at rummage and that was prolly 10 years ago. IIFC, it was priced at $50, no doubt a bargain, but even at that price, I couldn't justify it.

I use the Foley for tomato sauce & applesauce...whiz the toms up in the blender first. The Foley gets most of the tomato seeds but not all. (I quarter & core apples so no seeds there.) Just barely whiz the toms in the blender because you don't want to be chopping up the seeds. Alternatively, you lightly cook the toms before putting them thru the Foley.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinois

o

I just got the strainer attachment for my kitchenaid mixer. It works with the meat grinder so you need both. It pushes food through the strainer, separating seeds and skin from pulp. Works like a charm (so far).

I also have a foley which hasn't been used in years. It's painfully slow and tedious. Before getting the KA strainer, I used my blender or food processor to puree foods, then a sieve to remove seeds, skins etc.

Cheryl

o

A grape lug holds 36 pounds.

I'd like to avoid the description of Laurie's Foley experience. The Foley looks like it would do a nice job of ricing a few servings of mashed potatoes, though.

I read this review on Amazon about the Roma: "The only reason I give less than 5 starts is that the suction on the bottom kept releasing periodically, even when I tried sending fewer tomatoes through. I tried dampening the bottom, which helped, but it still eventually lost its grip. Also, the plastic gasket that is supposed to keep tomato guts from squeezing out the top of the screen (top as in end closest to strainer body) doesn't fit well (at least in mine), and won't stay in the machine."

So I am wondering about the suction. I don't really have a completely smooth surface to attach a suction (tile counter). I see it comes with a clamp but it looks a bit flimsy. I do have a table that I could clamp to. I clamp my Atlas pasta machine there. So I'm looking at the Victorio which has a nice sturdy looking clamp. I see both require the purchase of a separate accessory kit. I assume I will need that?

I see the new Squeezo on Amazon at 195 and up. Yup, a bit steep. Ebay has a few but also no bargains.

Laurie, what is your take on the Amazon review above?

Thanks,
Eileen

o
KitchenAid

Oh, I don't have a KA or it would certainly make sense to purchase the attachments instead of a food mill.

E

o

I read the review too. Have not had either of those two problems. I don't beat it up though. As for the suction loosing it's grip, that's the nature of the beast. I haven't had it loose it's grip, and if it does, it takes 5 seconds to re-suction it. Just go a little easy on it and it isn't a problem. My apple peeler has the same system. I imagine you can beat the heck out of one of those Squeezo ones and not have it skip a beat, so maybe folks are comparing it to that. So if you want that level of durability, go for the big bucks. I couldn't justify it, but then I got mine for Christmas and could have pretty much chosen whatever I wanted. And if you want a Foley mill let me know and I'll send you mine!

o

I had a Victorio strainer for umpteen years. We ran tons of food through that thing...everyone in the neighborhood used it. The screen and some inside parts finally started rusting out, so I sold it at a yard sale for $20 and bought a new Model 200 for $40, lol. It's running about $55 on Amazon now. We don't run nearly as much through it...maybe a hundred pounds of tomatoes and a box or two of apples a year, but it's been great.

Messy, though. I toss my tomatoes and apples in roasters and bake until they soften a bit...that probably makes it worse, but I'm lazy. Love the salsa screen for canning chopped tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here