Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meals for a new mom...

Posted by agmss15 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 20:54

So my step-sister and hubby just and I do mean just had a baby boy. A friend arranged for a meal wheel for the baby's first few weeks. I think the idea is dinner with leftover's for the next day. So I have to come up with something for the next few Saturdays. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meals for a new mom...

What a nice idea, the new parents are sure going to appreciate that.

First, is the new mom nursing? If so, some things may upset the baby, things like lots of tomatoes, cabbage, etc.

That aside, a beef or chicken stew would be good, with fresh bread. Lasagna is always better the next day, I think, so that makes good leftovers. Macaroni and cheese rewarms well, as does swiss steak, roast chicken, meat loaf, meatballs, Italian beef.

Good luck and have fun, and be sure to snuggle that new baby!

Annie

o

Steak, baked potatos and a salad and fresh veggie, a whole roast chicken with oven roasted potatoes or rice pilaf, pork roast, sweet potatoes and green peas.
Simple, basic food.

o

I have organized "meal wheels" (never heard it called that) many times both for new mothers and for people recuperating from surgery/illness. I think it is one of the most needed and appreciated gifts. Some of my go-to menus for simple, easy and well liked are:

1.) 5-hour oven stew with a loaf of good bread.

2.) a beef or pork roast cooked all day (night) in a crock pot, can add potatoes & carrots or use for sandwiches.

3.) BBQ brisket w/cole slaw and good hoagie rolls or a vegetable.

4.) a good meatloaf (great next day sandwiches) w/ baked potatoes, veg/salad

5.) a nice green salad w/cold grilled chicken breasts to slice on top (enough breasts to make a sandwich the next day).

Hope you find something that works for you. Am sure your sister and BIL will appreciate the thoughtfulness of your gift and time.

o

Link below for Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Tetrazzini

o

Chicken pot pie

o

My cousin just had a baby. She's in Washington & I'm in NY. So I sent her a care package which she was grateful for. I just sent her easy things to make meals with: peanut butter & jelly (jelly was homemade) & crackers; tomato sauce (homemade) & pasta (some fun shapes and colors); Annie's Mac & cheese (I know she's fond of it); herbal teas; and cookies (not homemade but a good kind). This way its easy stuff that can be put together in minutes.

She really appreciated it. I know not quite what you had in mind but this works!

o

I've heard that new parents sometimes find it helpful to have things that can be eaten with one hand, so maybe homemade hot pockets, quiche muffins, drinkable soup, a snacky dinner of cured meat, cheese, and crackers, wraps, burritos, panini, kabobs, or stuffed potatoes.

o

This is one of those things that's really difficult to do without knowing what they like. Sometimes a new mother might want things very bland, other times not. Are they fussy eaters? Sensitivities/allergies? How close are they - is the idea to bring it to them hot so they can eat then or have to reheat? Do they have any favorites? I'd try to find out what is a "comfort food" to them and give them that as a treat.

So, going totally blind, some things come to mind:
-Pot roast
-Pork chops/roast
-Fried rice
-Chicken salad/tuna salad
-Taco fixins
-Meatloaf/Meatballs
-Soup, stew or chili
-Any sort of casserole, one-pot spaghetti or the like
-Swiss steak
-Salisbury steak
-Ribs
-A big chef's salad
-Pasta salad with meat
-Subs
-Lasagna/Baked Ziti
-Turkey breast/chicken & fixins
-Ham
-Roast beef
-Scalloped potatoes & ham
-Pizza
-Sloppy Joes or pulled pork (pocket bread makes it easier to eat if needed)
-A properly made burger & sides. (Fries don't transport well) Potato salad and slaw would go well.

I guess if they're close it'd be easier to just double up whatever you're making and drop it off. Doesn't necessarily have to be different.

o

Yummy - Though I had responded to all the lovely suggestions. Sometime GW baffles me completely. I either post 2 times or the post disappears.

The parents are serious foodies, run the cafe at the local farmer's market, plan on owning a restaurant. Her mom has reconnected with her italian roots and spends winters in the ancestral village. They also love Italy enough that they gave their son a very italian name. My take on it is that they love organic, artisanal food for health/philosophical reasons - but it also has to taste good.

Thanks all...
Amanda

o

My first thought was "not pasta." When my 2nd child was born 22 months after the first, I made a lot of pasta early on because it was fast.
I was in a Newcomer's Club & they would have a few folks provide a meal for new moms. I was really looking forward to it, & what did they bring, but pasta with tomato sauce from a take out buffet. I was grateful for the gesture, but so dissappointed as I was getting really tired of pasta & sauce.
If they aren't vegetarians, I would have appreciated a hearty meat dish that took some preparation time, since that wasn't something I would have had time to make myself.

o

I just looked at this thread because I'm going to be cooking for a new mom, new dad, 16mo old older sister this weekend (or soon after depending on when the baby comes). I'm going to make spanikopita because it's great freshly made and yummy heated up and can also be frozen (although the filo never crisps up). I'm going to stay away from too many onions or cruciferous veggies, as I think those are supposed to be hard on the new babe's system.

I was looking at some of my clippings here and think I will also make this posted by loves2cook4six. I'm going to get some TJ's precooked rice to go with, since I'm not sure if the chicken will be put in the freezer or not.

Baked Coconut Curry Chicken
2 1/2 lbs. chicken (I use chicken legs and boneless, skinless thighs & breasts, but you can use whatever combination of chicken you enjoy most)
1 can coconut milk
2 cups chicken broth
2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like your food)
2 tablespoons curry powder (again depending on how much you like curry)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon sugar
salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Wash and pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Pour the chicken broth and coconut milk in a baking dish then lay the chicken in the broth. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then sprinkle the rest of the spices all over the chicken and broth.
3. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, carefully remove the foil and turn chicken and mix up the broth mixture so the coconut milk breaks up. Put the baking dish back in the oven uncovered for another 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and very tender.
4. I cook this chicken a little longer than necessary because I like the thighs and breasts to sort of shred and since the chicken is in a broth, it does not dry out with the extra cooking time.
5. Once you remove the baking dish from the oven, carefully pour the sauce into a saucepan and add 1 tablespoon butter. Mix using a whisk, bring the sauce to a boil and whisk till smooth and reduced. Taste the sauce to make sure it is spicy enough for your liking...if not...add more cayenne pepper and curry powder. Serve chicken over rice and pour the sauce over the chicken and rice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here