SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Freezer Roulette And A Heart And A Liver

John Liu
10 years ago

I am playing Freezer Roulette.

You know the game.

Poor organizational skills, insufficiently permanent ink, or simply lack of moral character, have cursed you with many anonymous bundles of white paper-wrapped meat-things in your freezer. SWMBO has ordered that the frozen fractional cow that seemed like such a good idea last year be Eaten! Before! she sees you bring home One More! cut of fresh - and identifiable - meat from the butcher.

Your protests land on deaf ears. SWMBO is unmoved by the prospect of unearthing the kids' pet rat or Aunt Maggie's head. Possibly she thinks you're making it up. Possibly she grew up eating her pets, or her aunts. Sometimes you wonder.

So you place the revolver's muzzle to your head and pull the trigger. One pull on the trigger yields a whole beef heart. The second pull lands a hunk of beef liver.

Preferable to Aunt Maggie's head, this surely is. But how, err, do I cook a beef heart or cow liver?

My request is two fold. First, recipes for heart and liver. Second, stories from your own sessions of Freezer Roulette.

(By the way, Squeakers or at least his mortal coil did inhabit our freezer for a couple years. As for Aunt Maggie, I really don't know everything that goes on around here.)

Comments (18)