SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Fast, High Energy, Non Filling Snack?

John Liu
9 years ago

My son came to me with a problem. He has dance classes after school three or four nights a week. High school lets out at 3:15 pm, he rides his bike about 20 blocks to the dance studio, dance class starts at 3:30 pm. So he barely has time to get to the studio, change, and join the class. Dance class goes to 6:00 pm at least, but sometimes to 8:00 pm. There are 5 minute breaks during the dance class, but no more.

The problem, as you may imagine, is that going from 1:00 pm to 6:00 or 8:00 pm, with all that physical activity, on no food . . . isn't working.

So I need to send him to school in the morning with not only a lunch, but also a couple of late afternoon/early evening snacks. The snacks need to bounce around a book bag or stew in a warm locker all day, then be eatable in five minutes, not be messy or require heating, not be too bulky (his book bag is pretty full) or heavy in the stomach (gotta be able to dance right after eating it), provide quick energy, and still be tasty and appealing enough, to eat once or twice a night, four nights a week.

I face this issue when bicycling, and in that sport we eat plastic pouches of energy gel. Each is basically a 100 calorie dose of sugar in glutinous, artificially flavored form. You start a long ride with a few of these in your jersey pocket. Every 20 miles or so, you rip open a pouch, squeeze it into your mouth with one hand, force yourself to swallow - hmm, blueberry? - and drink some water to get rid of the taste - ick, not blueberry! - pedaling all the while.

Call me a hippie, but I don't want feed my son energy gel four nights a week. Nor would he want to eat it, although he doesn't mind them when cycling.

I'm looking for suggestions: healthy, maybe but not necessarily homemade, meeting all the listed criteria. Ideally, enough different foods for him to rotate through a couple different choices during the week.

Thanks !

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH