gadget for bakers...or not

mustangs81
9 years ago

What is your take on this item?

Here is a link that might be useful: Even Baking

Comments (26)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

I'd rather spend the money on having my oven calibrated, if things were bad enough to need something like that.

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago

If I baked brownies in a pan like the one shown, mine might not bake evenly either. That's what metal cake pans are for....they bake cakes/brownies/breads evenly - at least mine do. I'll have to pass on that.

Teresa

• plllog
    9 years ago

Agreed. This isn't a problem I have, so I don't need a solution. I've seen similar for making brownies with all crispy edges, but I don't know anyone who wants crispy (i.e., dried out) edges. The device looks like it would have to go in just the right pan. It would be so much easier to just use a tube pan, which accomplishes the same thing in a time tested manner.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

I don't seem to have that problem either, my baked goods are done in the middle way before the outside edges are crispy.

I have the world's cheapest stove, and it bakes just fine, so I'm happy to save my $20 and not buy something to stick in the drawer as an unnecessary gadget.

Annie

• pkramer60
    9 years ago

It reminds me of the baking nail for potatoes. By the time I would find them, the potatoes would be done. I can't see this gizmo doing much.

And even I, the non-baker, know not to put brownies in a casserole dish.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

They succeeded in picking a metal which is one of the worst in thermal conductivity for conducting heat.

About $1.00's worth of scrap for $19.50, S.H. not included.

No brownie points for this gadget.

dcarch

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I don't own a metal pan so I make my brownies in a glass/ceramic dish.
    They turn out perfectly, but take much longer than the 1/2 hour stated in the recipe.

I'm going to search out a square metal baking dish at the second-hand stores.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for confirming that my conclusion about this product was in line with the experts...you.

Appreciate the feedback as I don't need any more gadgets.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

jasdip, you can also look at Marshall's, HomeGoods and TJ Maxx. They carry a good selection of bakeware and you can get a new pan with good weight and a lifetime warranty for less than $10.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip lascatx. Marshall's just came into Canada last year, and I thought it was strictly a clothing store, which doesn't interest me.
    I'll have a noodle around sometime and see if I can find a baking pan.
    Is there a particular brand I should look for?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Ok, I make my brownies in a glass 8X8 dish. They do take longer but they turn out perfectly and the edges are like the center and not crispy. And I do own nice metal pans.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Bumbebeez, glad to know I'm not the only one. We love the edges....they are nice and chewy, not crispy at all.

I'd hate to get a metal pan and find that it cooks them too crispy for our tastes. ;-)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

The Marshall's near me is also a Home Goods store. They had kitchenware before they became a Home Goods also, but now they have more plus rugs, furniture, lamps, mirrors and framed art, etc. Hope yours up there will have at least the basics now that I've got you going to check them out. Haha They often have Nordic Ware shaped pans, Chicago Metallic, Calphalon and Cuisinart. Those are all good brands, but the ones I bought most recently are the Cuisinart Chef's Classic. I like the weight and the rounded corners that are easier to clean.,

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

Dcarch - LOL about stainless' thermal conductivity. Too bad comments aren't open anymore, that'd have been fun to post. Took a look around grommet; most of what I saw is similar - overpriced crap barely solving problems that don't exist. I've got a very good friend who I should introduce to the site. He's about a decade into waiting to get rich on an invention he hasn't even thought up yet. But he's still researching it. Instead of working.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I've always used a Pyrex dish for brownies, too. Not my clan, but some people do actually like crunchy brownies!

The problem of under done middles does really exist, however, though not so much for brownies. Bundt pans, coffee cake, pans, angel cake and sponge cake pans (which actually are slightly different, though interchangeable if you scrub carefully between), etc., all have that flue up the center to draw the hot air to the middle. It's an excellent design using physics to solve problems. I can't help thinking that this gizmo would wreck a cake, however.

I notice that they have a loaf pan version. Has anyone ever had a zucchini bread that was overdone outside and under in the middle? If so, may I suggest baking at a lower temperature next time?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Lascatx, that is the only thing I despise about the glass pans! Those rounded corners! I want beautifully equally sized perfect squares: in the glass pan I am forced to eat 2 pieces! (Dad gets 2 also)
    Well, family notwithstanding....I often bake brownies for company, events, and want the full pan to turn out perfect.

9 years ago

FOAS, "---I've got a very good friend who I should introduce to the site. He's about a decade into waiting to get rich on an invention he hasn't even thought up yet. But he's still researching it. Instead of working."

I would be interested in talking to him. Get him to join CF.

May be I can get him rich.

dcarch

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Bumblebeez, I don't care that much about the corners, but it is easier to trim the edges and make those slightly smaller than to scrub with multiple brushes to try to get the crumbs out of the corners of the last pan I had. I think Chicago Metallic and Calphalon both have sharp corners. But beware pleated metal in the corners. Corners are one thing, but those are a royal pain in the tail feathers (as my mom would say).

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Hmmmm I think with these latest comments, I might just as well stick to my glass pans. They work well enough, we don't mind the rounded corners, and I didn't even think of trying to clean sharp corners of a metal pan.

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

A very generous offer, dcarch, thank you. I'll introduce him right after you make me rich. I'm all ears! :)

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Speaking of DCarch's offer, I would love to his comments on the following...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sous Vide

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I put everything in the dishwasher :-)

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

Cathy - I'd go for Anova, $100 cheaper, marginally better reviews. Seems to be the brand getting press, last I paid attention. I might actually buy one even though I don't SV much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anova

• foodonastump
    9 years ago

Lascatx - does the "royal pain in the feathers" include your nonstick pans rusting in the corners? All of the "nice" Calphalon I got for Christmas did that.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I picked up a Wilton square pan with rounded corners. It's nonstick, and was 1/2 price. $3 isn't too much of an investment if it doesn't bake my brownies properly. I'll keep using my glass dish if that's the case.

9 years ago

" ----Speaking of DCarch's offer, I would love to his comments on the following...
    Here is a link that might be useful: Sous Vide"

I don't think you will have problems with either Anova or the Nomiku. I don't like the Nomiku because it has a separate power unit. Kind of clumsy to me. Why make that main unit smaller then have a separate power control?

dcarch

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company