SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

BBQ for 70

jeri
11 years ago

The pizza dinner was canceled, so this will be my first dinner for the High School band. The kids will be on the field practicing their show and the director would like to do a BBQ. There are 2 large gas BBQ's at my disposal.

Aside: After giving this a great deal of thought, I'm thinking a BBQ for a crowd this size is a lot more work than other menu ideas. The director would like to do 5 BBQ meals over the next several weeks...

Goal: With all these meals, my goal is to make it *very* easy to replicate for whom ever my successor will be - 4 years down the road :-)

My biggest hurdle is with quantities. Corn on the cob for example, I know not everyone will take one, but perhaps someone will take 2? Do I just plan on serving 70, or should I go with less? I'd hate to run out, yet I don't want to wast food/money either.

Menu - with quantities I think is appropriate:

BBQ Chicken Drumsticks: 2 per person

Vegetarian Baked Beans: 3/4 cup per person

Corn on the Cobb: 1 small ear

Watermelon Slices: 1 slice per person, 28 slices per melon - 3 melons?

Lemonade & Water

Cookies: 2 per person

Please let me know if you think my quantities are wrong!

Chicken: Thinking about cooking the drumsticks in the oven first, then just finishing them on the grill with the BBQ sauce. My current plan is to season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook at 350 for 30 minutes or until the internal temp reaches 160. Then just use whatever sauce CostCo or Smart & Final sells. How much sauce do I need? About 1 cup per 12 drumsticks???

Baked Beans: Just open several cans of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans and heat. Lindac, I know you doctor your beans and I am totally open to this if you think I can still make my goal. You have tons more experience at serving crowds on the cheap! Does 3/4 cup per person sound right? So about 13 quarts?

Corn on the Cobb - I found and used this "Cooler Corn" method for my dad's 90th birthday party. It worked like a charm!

Thanks everyone! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooler Corn

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH