Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghost peppers - Need ideas

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 20:02

I impulsively bought a Ghost pepper plant. In its native environs, the peppers can be a million scoville.. really really hot. Serranos are around 100K scovilles and habanero is around 200K I think. While my california climate will not make it so hot, it is still really spicy. So what can I make with it? Dry and make chilli powder? Stuff it? Make hot sauce? Freeze it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghost peppers - Need ideas

Did not realize how hot they are. Not a good year for peppers in my garden. Certainly had hot weather but just a mixed dozen of hots, mostly habanero. I just blended mine with some roasted onion, garlic, tomato, and sweet red pepper, (a roasted sauce for freezing a big box of toms). Used a bit of that to stretch the heat and froze in ice cube trays, now in a zip-lock.
I don't have a dehydrator yet, but i would try that. Might be easier to control the heat.

o

I grew ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) one year. It blew my mind just how hot they were. Mind you, I'm not afraid of spicy foods! I tried 1 piece of a diced pepper. For the next 20 minutes I was running to the bathroom to see if blisters were forming in my mouth or throat. I felt it burning in my stomach for the next 4 hours. Make sure you were gloves when cutting them. Do not touch your skin once wearing the gloves and have cut the pepper.

I diced them and put them in a mix of lesser hot peppers. I throw the diced hot peppers in chilli, spaghetti sauce and other things when the opportunity presents itself.

o

I tried to grow some, but I did not succeed. Just as well, I'm a heat wuss.

However, Elery's son lives in California and says he got 500 peppers from 4 plants. He's making hot sauce, but also said he ate a tiny bit of the tip of one and was in such pain that for 20 minutes he wondered if it was ever going to stop. His did well:

Ghost peppers photo 9c75414d-672f-4c37-85b6-e64694a83244.jpg

I have a recipe for a peach habanero hot sauce that might moderate the heat a bit with the fruit, or perhaps hot pepper jelly? A dehydrator would be a good idea, but I'd dry them outside. Just the habaneros I dry get done in the garage so the fumes don't drive us out of the house. I'm betting ghost peppers would be worse.

They are expensive to buy, do you know any pepperheads that would like them, or their seeds?

Annie

o

Savory Spice Shop here in OKC (corp home is in Denver) does a Ghost Pepper salt. . .it only takes a few grains on a shrimp to light your fire!!

o

Savory Spice Shop here in OKC (corp home is in Denver) does a Ghost Pepper salt. . .it only takes a few grains on a shrimp to light your fire!!

o

You might enjoy this article from the Smithsonian Magazine this past summer, about a pepper-eating contest in India.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burning Desire

o

Oh, and Elery said his son took three peppers and submerged them in a bottle of vodka. The only thing I could think of that would be a suitable use for the vodka would be Bloody Marys, though there may be other applications for people who like both vodka and hot peppers.

Annie

o

Hi, Annie,
I sent you an email... in case it gets lost in cyberspace, here it is...

Hi, Annie,

If there happens to be any seeds for the ghost pepper lying around, I'd love to give them to my brother in law. Somehow, he has a hankering to try them! I think he may regret it! We're all in California, so they should grow well.

Thanks for any consideration!
Smiles,
Sooz

o

I think I am going to try a hot sauce and maybe indian style stuffed pickles and dried peppers. I will report back on how it worked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here