SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

What's for Dinner - #328

wizardnm
11 years ago

Last night was a pizza night.

This was a fun pizza and I loved it. I started by roasting cherry tomatoes which I had tossed with olive oil and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning blend. I did enough to pretty much cover the pizza dough. Then I added mini pepperoni to all and pineapple tidbits to my half. Kim had chopped portabella mushrooms on her side. Fresh mozzarella pearls over all and fresh basil. Kim added some parm reg to her's.

The cherry tomatoes are so sweet when roasted, I've been thinking of different ways to use them as the are very prolific out in my flower bed.

Nancy

Comments (100)

• shirl36
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Been trying all week to make this post, last Sundays was the day of our family (of 16) pictures. Taken here at home on our front porch. I offered to fix a lunch afterwards for all of us and can you imagine I got 15 takers.

The menu was simple, deli sandwiches, homemade rolls, pasta salad, hot pizza dip, assorted chips, and don't laugh... mimi tater tots for the little ones and they all were eaten. I always have the fear of not enough food and my DH just laughs.

The homemade rolls was Moonies Buns recipe and I made 4 batches with 10 rolls each. A nice size for sandwiches.
    I hardly had any left overs by the time they left.

• shirl36
    11 years ago

And then the rest of the story...

With my new Zojirushi BB-Pac20 breadmaker I Have been making bread now for a week. 5 loaves of KA Maple Oatmeal bread recipe, 4 Batches of cinnamon rolls made with Moonies Bun recipe, the 40 sandwich rolls, and Annie1992's Honey WW Bread recipe.

I have a 12 yr old Zojirushi V20 that is trying to die, so we just upgraded to the Zojirushi Pac20, now I have two.

Here is Pic of Annie1992's Honey WW Bread. The loaf was so good.

I have not figured out to send two pics in one post with comments between them. I will work on that. Shirl36

• Related Discussions

Samsung 328 Washer and Dryer review

Q

Comments (13)
    I too have recently purchased the 328's and love them. The they are in a main floor laundry room (wood subfloor with wood laminate flooring) and the washer is very quiet. The only time I hear it is when it is filling for the rinse cycle. Don't know why that is noisier than filling for the wash unless it is the sound of the water going thru a different compartment of the dispenser?? Its unbelievable how quiet it spins when its really revved up. Sometimes it will wobble slightly when its first starting to spin and then once it gets balanced and takes off - doesn't move at all. I don't think there is any cycle other than sanitize that will heat the water, but I don't understand why that would be an issue?? I mean, if you want the water that hot, why wouldn't you just choose that setting? I really like the dryer also. As far as the wrinkle release option, I think it heats for awhile then cools down. The refresh cycle I think just heats. The wrinkle prevent will intermittantly tumble on just air for 90 minutes after clothes are dry. I didn't see spending $300-400 more for the set for the steam option. We don't have alot of clothes that need to be dry-cleaned, so I don't think I would have used that option enough to warrant the cost. I have used the SilverCare option once. Just wanted to see if there's a difference in the way the clothes smell, but they smell fresh regardless of the option I use. I think SilverCare is great for scrubs that would be ruined if they were bleached but yet they need sanitized. I just forget to use that option :) Overall - thrilled with my purchase. We were replacing Maytag Neptunes purchased on '01, which are still fine (gave them to son and DIL) Never had a mold issue with them, so don't intend to have one with my new ones. I do leave the door open on my new Samsung washer so it can dry out. I didn't do that with my Neptunes because it had an interior light. Hope this helps in your decision making. I don't think you can go wrong with the Samsungs.
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

Question for today 3/28

Q

Comments (13)
    I save from 2 inch size square fabric on - I have the stuff sorted in baggies or baskets by size... my 2 inch squares come in handy often -- for example for blocks being made for charity items... the other sizes I have by strip lengths comes in handy for log cabins, braided strips, etc - and really great for making binding for children's quilts... lots of color that way! As stated, the pieces you have still worth money that you already spent, so I feel it is better to find a use for it as much as you can.
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More
  • mustangs81
    11 years ago

I know this is a cooking forum but you all are just over the top!! Such and inspiration, love it and envy your skills at the sometime.

• Jasdip
    11 years ago

Oh, those rolls are really calling me, Shirl! They look fabulous!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I agree, shirl, those rolls look delicious and the bread looks darned good too. I have an older zojirushi that I use all the time, I'll cry when it dies.

Like you, I have a fear of running out of food. I don't mind having leftovers but I hate to run out. It sounds like you figured it out just right.

What's for Dinner? I'm in the process of making shark cupcakes and hula girls for Bud and Makayla's birthday party tomorrow, so Cooper had leftover pot roast and I had raisin bran. I'd love one of Shirl's rolls instead!

Annie

• cookingrvc
    11 years ago

Tried Giada's recipe for Pasta Fagioli (fazool) using my homemade chicken stock. Added a garlicy, warm dense bread for dipping. Very good.

Sue

• Hellion
    11 years ago

I have 3 things to say about this thread:
    1. It is only 4 am and now I am ravenous!
    2. My grocery list just got longer
    3. Don't know what to make first!

LOL

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Annie, now that is a beautifully popped popover.

Nancy, thanks for sharing the recipe. I always loved the wet burrito from the Belt Line Bar in Grand Rapids.

Ruthanna, you are the one most responsible for giving me a craving for something. In this case it is your cannelloni. Boy that looks good.

Shirl, I love the buttery shine you have on your rolls and bread.

Sue, glad you are posting and sharing your meals with us again.

Some of what we have been eating:

Roast Pork

Breakfast Quiche with bacon, tomato and cheddar.

Wings and homemade potato chips

Roast Chicken Dinner

Ham, Cheese and Chive Biscuits

Chicken Livers with Onions and Green Peppers

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Shirl, your rolls look wonderful. I wish I could have one right now for my lunch.

Annie, I like the idea of cabbage and pears together. I hope you took pix of the birthday cakes.

Last night, we had chicken Tetrazzini and a kale and golden raisin salad.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

ruthanna, the cabbage and pears were a very nice mix, I'll make that again. How did you make the kale salad?

Ann T. those biscuits look wonderful, I may have to make biscuits for breakfast. The chicken livers look good too, but will have to wait. We "processed" 25 chickens yesterday and after plucking and cleaning them all, I just don't want any right now. We have 25 more to do next week. (sigh) I must have lost my mind, ordering 50 baaby chickens!

Anyway, what's for dinner? Um.....chicken. Yeah. BBQ'd chicken in the smoker, with kale from the garden and a vegetable "stew" with lentils and butternut squash.

This wasn't for dinner, it was breakfast. I used Alton Brown's recipe for seasoning breakfast sausage but used ground chicken in place of pork. It was very good, good enough that we ground another 10 pounds of chicken. I also remember someone had a chicken burger recipe with Thai flavorings, I'll have to look that up.

As some of you may remember, I have a nephew-in-law (is that a relative?) who lives at the farm and takes care of my animals, my fence, etc. He managed to shoot a 4 point buck in the back of the hayfield and was packaging that while Elery and I were processing chickens. In return for a couple of chickens he gave us the venison "backstrap". Elery loves venison so we went home and cut some medallions then marinated them. Elery seared them quickly in my cast iron pan and with a baked sweet potato from the garden made a nice meal:

Saturday was the birthday party. Ruthanna, you KNEW I'd take pictures. (grin)

Makayla wanted a tropical theme, Bud was somewhat underwhelmed until we started talking about sharks and their possible victims. So......I made hula girls from chocolate cupcakes:

A strawberry cake with strawberry mousse filling and decorated with gummy fish, since any cake that also utilizes candy is a good thing for a 7 year old boy:

And finally, the shark cupcakes, made from the good old Hershey's recipe, I've never found one I like better. The shark mouths were "edible images", simply peel off the backing and stick to the top of the cupcake. These sharks, though, had victims......(cue music from "Jaws")

I liked the strawberry cake, made from scratch and containing strawberry puree, but the littlest guest preferred the Hershey's chocolate cake:

And I'm not gonna argue with that little guest, she's too darned cute!

Annie

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Okay, I have to jump in here instead of lurking because of the cute baby!! Love those cupcakes too.

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Ann, all your meals look so tempting and you reminded me that we haven't had chicken livers for a while. If they're nice, I'll be getting some on Friday to have this weekend, unless Annie wants to give me the 25 from her last batch of chickens.

Gellchom posted the kale salad last year and I've made it quite a few times. I also used the same dressing on a spinach salad with apples and walnuts.

KALE SALAD WITH PINE NUTS AND GOLDEN RAISINS

Makes 4 servings (sez she; I think more)

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 teaspoons maple syrup
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    Scant 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    6 to 8 ounces kale (I use more; there's plenty of dressing)
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, syrup, mustard, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a nonreactive bowl. (The dressing can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes before using.)

Remove and discard the tough stems and center veins from the kale leaves. Then cut the leaves crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide strips to yield 6 cups well-packed kale. (I often just chop up the leaves rather than worry about pretty strips; it's a LOT quicker.)

Place the dressing in a salad bowl and whisk well. Add the kale and toss to coat greens thoroughly with dressing. Divide salad evenly and mound on 4 salad plates. Garnish each serving with raisins and pine nuts. (I like to serve it in a big bowl instead of on individual plates, so I just put the raisins and nuts on top and eventually it all gets tossed together.)

I love those cupcakes, Annie, and it looks like your GD does too.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Thanks for that recipe, Ruthanna. I remember when Gellchom posted it, but I didn't have quite the harvest of kale then that I do now!

Yes, maddie loved those cupcakes. But then again, she loves any cupcakes, LOL, so that's not an endorsement. (grin)

So, what's for dinner?

We had a corned beef brisket with cabbage and potatoes one day:

Elery started a container of kim chee:

One night I made some butter chicken, coconut curry vegetables and a pasta/farro dish:

I took the leftovers from the pasta and made some pesto using kale in place of basil. I like basil but I think pesto tastes too strongly of basil, I liked this better. Italian sausage on the side:

tonight we had October beans that Elery grew a couple of years ago, along with a loaf of bread from Bernard Clayton's bread book. It was a batter bread filled a mixture of cheese with a bit of hot sauce. I didn't have cheddar so I used Dubliner:

I had the beans in the crockpot cooking all day while Elery and I went to get our flu shots. The bread was very good, but made a huge "loaf", baked in a tube cake pan:

I think I could toast it on a baking sheet in the oven and it might make a pretty good grilled cheese but that cheese in the middle might be problematic.

Annie

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Annie that is one big beautiful loaf of bread. Is it a yeast bread?

Roast Pork Tenderloin with a mushroom sauce.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Ann T, it is a yeast bread, but only needs to be beaten with the dough hook, no kneading required. It's very good, but hard to make grilled cheese because of the cheese filling. Also not good in the toaster, LOL.

Your roast pork looks delicious. I'm going to get some pork shoulder in the smoker this week, Amanda's 30th birthday party is Saturday. She wants pulled pork, homemade buns, a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. She's easy to please!

Annie

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Too bad it doesn't toast well. I love toasted Cheese bread.

I keep coming back to look at Madison. Such a little sweetie.

Sesame Chicken

Meatloaf with Sage

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Wow, no one's eating?

I can tell you that I have been, although I left my camera at Amanda's last weekend when we had her birthday party. Now it's time to catch up!

Yum, Ann T, I love sesame chicken. I ought to make some, I sure have enough chicken! As for the cheese bread, I finally figured out how to toast it. I didn't use the toaster because the cheese just melted down into the bottom so I plopped it into a hot dry cast iron skillet, worked like a charm! (picture is a couple of meals down)

Amanda was 30 last Friday, so we had a party. You know how we are, any excuse to eat, LOL. I took two pork shoulders out of the freezer, 17 pounds worth. I spread them with mustard, made a rub from paprika, salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic, some other stuff and smoked them at 230F for 6 hours, until they were 165F internally. I removed them, wrapped them in foil and put them into the refrigerator. On Saturday I plopped them into the big Nesco roaster and finished them to about 200F. When they shredded nicely I made pulled pork. I didn't think to take a picture afterward, here they are before.

I also made one of Amanda's favorite cakes, the Hershey's chocolate layer cake. Four layers with peanut butter frosting and a coating of dark chocolate ganache:

Elery made some kimchi. Or is that kim chee? Anyway, his gallon jar of vegetables became 2 quarts of some seriously hot stuff:

the kids and I baked some halloween cookies:

One day we had corned beef and so I made corned beef hash to go with our eggs and homemade cheese bread. I had to toast the bread in a hot skillet because the cheese layer in the middle tended to melt, but it was good.

I used the leftover corned beef to make a kind of odd calzone, and some leftover butter chicken to fill another one:

Since we've picked up this yar's pork, there's kind of a pork theme going, I butterflied a loin roast, flattened it and stuffed it with apples and cranberries, served with butternut squash and mashed rutabaga:

tonight Elery put some glazed salmon on the grill and we had that with sauteed brussels sprouts and quinoa.

Yes, we have been eating well. Last night I made some rye bread and tomorrow we'll probably have salmon patties made from the leftover salmon and some homemade rye bread.

So, what else is for dinner?

Annie

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Annie, you and Elery certainly have been eating well. I love Kimchi.

Halibut season closed yesterday. So the last of the fresh halibut will be coming in off the boats today.

Decided to make a Cioppino for dinner last night with all fresh seafood.

Dungeness Crab, halibut, clams and mussels. Lots of crusty baguette to sop up the wonderful broth.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

ann t, your such a tease ;-)

• pretty.gurl
    11 years ago

Mexican Stuffed Pepper

{{gwi:1570428}}

• annie1992
    11 years ago

caminnc, I agree.

Ann T, that Cioppino looks delicious. I really like halibut, it's one of my favorite fish, but I've never had it fresh, only frozen.

There's an Open House tomorrow by the real estate company, so we'll go to Ann Arbor and stop at Trader Joe's and the Asian market, then maybe Horrocks before we start back to my house.

dinner tonight was at Elery's son's, since we didn't want to mess the house up by cooking. Chicken breast, salad, breadsticks and some of the peanut butter filled chocolate cookies that I brought with me. It was a whole lot better than fast food.

Annie

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Ann, your Cioppino photos should be in a magazine. Beautiful!

Between cleaning up Sandy's aftermath, the election, and preparing for our church craft show last weekend, the only good dinner I remember making was a chuck eye pot roast with carrots, turnips and mashed potatoes.

I finally got back into my regular cooking mode today with a baked marinated chicken breast and butternut squash custard.

I had made a variety of baked goods for the fair. Fastest sellout were these marshmallow fudge cookies.

• John Liu
    11 years ago

Oxtail in progress. Browned, red wine, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Simple. The lid of the pressure cooker is about to be closed for 90 minutes at high pressure, equivalent to 6 hours' slow cooking.

Improvised chicken and mushroom cream sauce using gluten-free flour. The stuff thickens effectively, though it isn't bleached so the sauce is a bit more yellow than I'd like. Next time I'll use corn starch. Used leeks instead of onions, a more delicate flavour I think. Was served with gluten-free (corn) noodles, which are not bad although, frankly, not very good either. Still looking for a good gluten-free pasta.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Ruthanna, That dinner looks soooooo goooood. I love the idea of the squash custard.

John, you can't go wrong with chicken in a mushroom sauce. I love oxtails. One of my favourite meals.

We had them Sunday for dinner. Served with Spaeztle.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

After a few weeks of not much cooking going on, I made Lidia's Italian American Meatloaf last night. Her program was on our PBS station Sunday afternoon. It turned out to be a very delicious take on meatloaf. I will make it again; maybe make some mini-loaves to freeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lidia's Italian American Meatloaf

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

Anne_T, Many gorgeous dishes, especially the oxtails.

John, your oxtail ain't bad either.

Ruthanna, I made broccoli and chicken breast too. I admit yours look better.

Pretty.gurl, very pretty Mexican Stuffed Pepper.

Annie, there is love in all your dishes.

Nancy, delicious burritos.

shirl36, Nice bread!

FOAS, you deserve "best chicken marsala I've ever had, anywhere" from your wife.

Various simple dishes in the past few days.

dcarch
    Odds and Ends Pork Shoulder with Asparagus

Pulled Sous Vide Flank Steak with Broccoli Stems

Sous Vide Chicken Breast, Asparagus, Tapioca in Baked Kabocha Squash

• annie1992
    11 years ago

John and Ann T, you remind me there are oxtails in the freezer, I should make some.

Ruthanna, is that squash custard kind of like pumpkin custard? Sweet? Or is it savory? It looks good and very interesting, since I grew a BUNCH of butternuts this year.

dcarch, I do love my family and I love to cook, so I guess there IS love in it all, although Ashley would not have agreed during those times when I was insisting that she eat her vegetables, LOL.

Is that wasabi on the chicken or a puree of the asparagus? And what makes the tapioca red? I have a bag that Elery just bought at the Asian market and it's the large tapioca, so now I have to find something to do with it.

OK, so what's for dinner? We've had a conglomeration of things this week, very "multi-cultural", LOL. Plus, they've done some significant changes on the photobucket website, so I'm finding it time consuming to beat the darned thing into submission, but here goes. Forgive me if the pictures are not the right size, I'm working on it!

I got a great buy on cabbage at a local farmer's market, 13 cents a pound. Mine didn't do well in the heat, so I bought 25 pounds and promptly packed 20 pounds of it with salt for sauerkraut. Then I made cabbage rolls. Some I cooked on a bed of homecanned sauerkraut, with a sauce made from my homecanned heirloom tomatoes. The filling was half grassfed beef and half homegrown chicken, ground. Grandma always made mashed potatoes with cabbage rolls, so I had to do that too, with a slice of bread.

the bread was very good, a King Arthur flour recipe that was new to me but sounded good with parmesan cheese and black pepper. It was very good with supper, but it's wonderful toasted. Crescia al Formaggio, an eggy cheesy bread:

One evening we had salmon burgers on toasted buns with home canned sweet pickle slices and another night we had some locally raised pork chops with some homecanned beets and a side of very convoluted nasi goreng, something Sheshebop taught me to like. I used edamame in place of the peas, and copious amounts of kecap manis:

Finally, we had a meal of venison and broccoli stir fry with rice and a steamed spinach filled Chinese bun. The stir fry was good, as always, it's a favorite of Elery's, but the bun was one of the most non-plus things I've ever tried. The dough had a cottony texture and no flavor at all, and the filling seemed made with very fibrous greens and something else I couldn't identy. Those were tossed into the bucket for the chickens, neither of us nor Cooper would eat them. Since I've never had a steamed bun I don't know if that's how they are supposed to be, but somehow I doubt it.

We roasted a homegrown chicken, this was not one of the broilers we raised specifically for the purpose, it was a young rooster who was sent as an "extra" when we bought the laying hens. A nice size, but even at 5 months of age he would have benefitted from a braising instead of the rotisserie. We had a side of fresh brussels sprouts and some quinoa simmered in chicken stock along with Elery's pink half runner beans:

We had to have at least one dessert in there, so I made some cookies to take to Elery's grandkids. The peanut butter filling is rolled into a ball, the chocolate dough is shaped around it and the cookie is flattened and then sprinkled with sugar. They were good with coffee and the grandkids loved them, as did their parents, LOL.

OK, I'm caught up. What else is for dinner?

Annie

11 years ago

Annie, I have to laugh. That roasted homegrown chicken sitting on the table, looks like it is clapping its hands (wings) watching you going crazy cooking!

You know, those steamed Chinese buns may go very well with Jacques Pepin's steamed turkey, LOL!

No, that is not wasabi sauce on the chicken breast.

For some reason,cooking always ending up trying out ideas for me. I got some very nice asparagus, which was interesting in this season. But they came with tough stem ends. The first dish shows if I peel them good and cook them separate, they are very edible.

Then I was wondering with all the fiberous asparagus peelings, perhaps I could make that into a sauce. So instead of the compost bin, the blender they went. With a few other ingredients, The green asparagus sauce was pretty good.

The Flank Steak with Broccoli Stems dish is a anti-social dish against all those people who only use flank steak cut across the grain and people who throws away broccoli stems, the best part of broccoli.

dcarch

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Annie, I love when you post all of your meals together. I like the sound of that loaf of bread. You can't go wrong with Parmesan cheese and black pepper.

I made Moe one of my infrequent salads.

Gorgonzola, Candied Walnuts and Pomegranate.

A late breakfast

Steak Frites

And my version of Clam "Chowder".

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Yum, AnnT, the clam chowder looks especially good and I really like the shape of that bowl.

Here we had dinner that we'd been working on all day. We boned a turkey, flattened it, rolled it up with a filling made of ground chicken, eggs, cream, bread crumbs, seasonings. It was a recipe courtesy of a Todd English video.

Elery liked it well enough that I think we're making it for his family's Christmas meal, although I think the stuffing would benefit from the addition of some chopped apples and maybe some dried cranberries and since his daughter has celiac disease and cannot have gluten, I'm going to go with cornbread in the stuffing. So, maybe cornbread, cranberries, apples, perhaps pecans? I'll have to think about that.

Ours we had with sauteed butternut squash from the garden and some of the leftover nasi goreng from a couple of nights ago.

Annie

• whgille
    11 years ago

Ann t, Dcarch, Annie

Wow! those plates look so delicious!!! I would like to try every single one of them. A lot of thought and work involved in those dishes, it is great to learn from the masters of the fine art of cooking!

Here is my humble contribution this morning for a potluck, heirloom tomato caprese salad, to be used later with a sun dried tomato dressing and a zucchini bread.

Silvia

11 years ago

Silvia, you are not a very nice person!

Teasing us those incredible heirloom multi-color succulent big beef steak tomatoes from your own garden, when all we have are rotting green tomatoes in the basement, how cruel! :-)

The zucchini bread slices will be gone in 15 minutes if you lay them out in front of me.

dcarch

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Silvia, I also envy you those tomatoes, mine are long gone here in Michigan.

There's always next year, though, and I still have bok choy in my backyard garden here in town. That stuff lived through the snow we had the other day, tough stuff indeed!

Annie

• whgille
    11 years ago

Dcarch - All your pictures and Annie's showing the chickens also got me wanting my own chicken. I did not take the bones but it was still good,lol.

Dinner tonight, roasted small chickens

And a simple salad from the garden

When you are in the South, you get to eat Southern food, collards from my garden

Annie - I love bok choy, I am growing a baby Chinese cabbage this season that I really like.

Silvia

• John Liu
    11 years ago

Picked up some saba (mackerel) at the Asian grocery.

Mackerel is one of my favorite sashimi fish, but at home I cook it. Filet the fish, which is most fun part of this dish. Dissecting fish is fun! Remove errant bones, which is a pain. When I was a kid, we didn't bother with pulling out pin bones, and I find it irritating that today's diners need every last bone removed. The process tears up the flesh. You can do it after cooking, when the bones don't cling to the flesh so hard.

Marinate the carefully deboned filets in sake, which eliminates any fishy taste, important for SWMBO. Then poach filets in a miso broth, which tonight was leftover chicken stock instead of dashi - lazy! - green tea - not enough stock - and white miso paste. Poach just like you'd do an egg: turn off heat, let the broth cool to 180, slip the fish into the broth and leave it for two to three minutes. The filets will curl up around the skin, that's okay. Then lightly salt the filet and sear it, skin side down, in a hot pan with plenty of oil (or a well seasoned cast iron pan with a little bit of oil). The curled filets will relax, with a bit of gentle spatula petting. Finally, portion and coat with sauce. Again, it being lazy night, this is store-bought Yoshida sauce.

The other stuff is purple yams, carrots, and mushrooms, all pan fried.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Yum, Silvia, I love collards. My husband is from Tennessee, he loves them too and oddly enough, never adds meat to his, I always add smoked pork hock or another "pig product" to mine.

John, I just realized I've never seen a mackeral that wasn't in a can! For some odd reason, I thought they were huge fish. It looks good, I never met a fish I didn't love.

So, What's For Dinner? A couple of days ago I found some turnips for $2. A fifty pound bag of them, LOL. Also a 50 pound bag of parsnips for $3. They were meant for deer bait, that's what the local producers do with oddly sized produce that doesn't meet the exacting standards of consumers, who can't stand something too big or too small or too strangely shaped. Very odd indeed, but I benefitted, so I'm happy. I also bought half a bushel of rutabaga at the local farmer's market while looking for potatoes, so I cut up one of each for supper, and quickly seared a grassfed ribeye in my cast iron pan:

Elery has been experimenting with kimchi, he loves the stuff. Gina told me to try cucumber kimchi, so I did, it was sitting in the fridge in a quart jar waiting for a good use. I decided to make Upper Peninsula Cornish pasties for supper with venison, onion, potato and rutabaga and Elery decided that kimchi would be the ideal accompaniment, LOL.

The pasties were moist but not runny and the pastry came out flaky and crusty:

Elery was right, the cucumbers were a nice accompnaiment, not too spicy, but cold and crunchy and a bit salty. I was surprised. I'm a heat wuss, so I had a cube of cucumber with a bite of pasty, LOL:

Elery says he doesn't think anyone else in town had pasties and kimchi for supper. Somehow, I think he's right...

Annie

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Silvia, I'm not a big salad fan, but I would be happy to eat both of yours. Especially that gorgeous Insalata Caprese.

John, unlike Annie, there are very few fish that I actually like. Unfortunately, Mackerel isn't one of them. Which is too bad, because your presentation looks quite delicious.

Annie, as always, perfectly cooked steak.

Roast leg of pork (This was actually Moe's breakfast). We had breakfast for dinner the night before, so since I was up early I put the roast in the oven and made dinner for breakfast. I took some with me to work and had mine for lunch.

I baked baguettes on Monday.

For lunch we had escargot with slices of baguette for dipping up all the wonderful parsley, garlic and butter sauce.

Baked again yesterday - Bagels.

Bagels with cream cheese and lox for lunch.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Made a big pot of chili and served with homemade flour tortillas.

• Teresa_MN
    11 years ago

Silvia - your simple salad of fresh lettuce and tomatoes looks divine. What type of dressing did you make for it?

Teresa

• whgille
    11 years ago

Annie - Those pasties look so yummy! I don't remember eating them. I am going to get one of these days yours and Ellery's recipes for cooking collards, I love to try new ways of cooking.

Ann t - I love, love your well presented dishes! You have an eye for beauty, eating at your house must be a pleasure and you always tempt me with those breads, they are works of art just as those wooden boards.

Teresa - Thank you, I love vegetables and fruits and at this time of the year I have an abundance of greens and tomatoes for my salads, also citrus. I just use a simple dressing of 1 part red lime or meyer lemon to 3 parts of extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Silvia

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Wow, this is loading slowly, maybe all the pcitures. Soon we'll be starting a new thread anyway.

Silvia, pasties are an Upper Peninsula "thing", the miners up there carried them for their lunches, they could be warmed on a shovel over the fire. They are really Cornish pasties, but here they're just U.P. Pasties.

So, no one is eating or have we expended all possible calories for Thanksgiving? (grin)

I've been eating pretty well here. We've had shrimp with baked sweet potatoes, those purple ones I got at the Asian market after Sylvia said she grew them. I expected them to be purple in the middle but they weren't, they were white. Odd, but very good. Elery especially liked them and said they tasted like the white sweet potatoes he had when he was a kid.

We had breakfast one evening, with homemade chicken sausage, fresh eggs, potato patties made of leftover mashed potatoes and toast from homemade bread.

tonight we had ahi tuna, grilled rare, with roasted fingerling potatoes from the garden and parsnips from that 50 pound bag I bought for $3.00.

With that we had a salad of chopped romaine, avocado, fresh pineapple and some of Gina's cucumber kimchi. Honey mustard dressing made with some of my homemade yogurt and it was surprisingly good.

Other than that, I took the last of the Meyer lemons beachlily sent me a few weeks ago and made some lemon curd, and I had the obligatory Thanksgiving meal, which I'll post pictures of later.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Now, what's for dinner?

Annie

• whgille
    11 years ago

Thank you Annie for explaining the pasties to me, I will try them one day for sure.

And you are amazing, all your dishes look so delicious! You probably had a different variety of sweet potato than mine, they are so many different kinds, I am glad that Elery like them, he is a good sport.

After making the turkey and having all turkey days recipes, we tried to stir away from that and made a very simple dishes, they are pale compared to yours.:)

Made BLT sandwiches with grilled bread and aioli sauce, more bacon is underneath the lettuce,lol.

Scalloped potatoes

I had them simple with roasted tomatoes

Hazelnut, strawberry crumb pie

Silvia

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Great pictures Silvia. I like how you did your scalloped potatoes - springform or tart pan?

And your BLT looks amazing. We had the same thing for breakfast this morning. I split and toasted a homemade baguette.

What we have been eating:

Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage gravy for me.

Moe had his topped with poached eggs.

Wings and Salad

Simple Tossed Salad

Peppercorn Steak with baked tomato, Parisienne Potatoes and broccoli.

Breakfast for Two - Toasted Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich on homemade baguette.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Ann t - Thank you, I did the scalloped potatoes in a springform.

Your dishes are all so perfect and dreamy! and your breakfast for two with your baguettes is fit for a Queen and King.
    Those wings look so appetizing! A feast for the eyes.

Silvia

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Wow, I agree, the scalloped potatoe3s look delicious and much neater than mine do, just spooned onto plates!

The BLTs are calling my name, both of them. Sigh. No fresh tomatoes here, I'll have to wait for, oh, 7 or 8 months, LOL.

I had vegetable soup and a sandwich made with leftover tuna for supper. I'm spending tomorrow with Maddie, Ashley has a 12 hour shift so I doubt I'll cook much and Elery has a head cold so nothing smells or tastes good.

I'll just have to come here and drool...

Annie

• annie1992
    11 years ago

What, no one is eating?

When I get my new computer whipped into shape (I've ben watching YouTube videos on Wndows 8, LOL), I'll post pictures. Well, when AT&T manages to get a reliable internet connection again too!

Dinner tonight was leftovers. I had some ribs from a couple of days ago, pinto beans, mashed rutabaga and red cabbage with pears, quite an odd conglomeration.

I've got some cookie dough in the freezer and venison jerky in the dehydrator and tomorrow is Makayla's "Holiday Concert" so I'll do that after I take care of Stepmother.

I've got some pictures of prior meals but haven't been able to get them off the camera and onto the computer yet!

Annie

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

I had some mac-n-cheese last night if that counts, without pictures. I'd eat your odd conglomeration any day. Just one question, did you eat any biscotti with it? Looks like I sure missed a row! But glad you're still posting. I'd eat anything you made. Tonight? Dunno. Prosecco maybe. And chocolate! If I could, I would.

• ann_t
    11 years ago

Rob, Prosecco and chocolate!!! I like the way you think.

~Ann

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

c'mon down! I'll have enough. For you, anything.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Rob, I was just in a snit, I'd had a long difficult day with the computer, the internet connection, an $800.00 repair to the water pump at the farm, I wasn't happy and just didn't want to deal with it. I'm fine and sorry I started such a row, I'd normally just shrug that off.

Dinner? Lobster bisque at my favorite dive bar, Schuberg's. Makayla's class had their "holiday concert" and she had a speaking part, all 4 sentences, LOL. Then they sang and danced. "Jazz Hands" and "White Christmas". It was a bit......different.

Annie