Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's for Dinner - #328

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 19:59

Last night was a pizza night.

9-14-12, Roasted Tomato Pizza

This was a fun pizza and I loved it. I started by roasting cherry tomatoes which I had tossed with olive oil and Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning blend. I did enough to pretty much cover the pizza dough. Then I added mini pepperoni to all and pineapple tidbits to my half. Kim had chopped portabella mushrooms on her side. Fresh mozzarella pearls over all and fresh basil. Kim added some parm reg to her's.
The cherry tomatoes are so sweet when roasted, I've been thinking of different ways to use them as the are very prolific out in my flower bed.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's for Dinner - #328

Nancy, what a good use for all those Sungolds that I've been picking by the bucket full, I'll bet the kids would love them on pizza.

It wasn't very cool today, but Elery wanted chili. I used about a pound of coarsely chopped local venison, courtesy of my nephew Philip, added a big sweet onion and two sweet potatoes from the garden along with 8 or 10 large tomatoes that were just cored and chopped, also from the garden. I didn't even peel them. Some leftover black beans that I didn't grow but came from Carlson-Arbrogast farms about 30 miles away, because I like lots of "stuff" in my chili. Seasoned with Penzey's Chili 9000 and a bit of extra cumin, and it was good:

IMG_0192

I added some cornbread, baked in my cast iron skillet. Plain old cornbread, used the Betty Crocker 1969 recipe from my old cookbook, and added a can of creamed corn:

IMG_0196

I had a glass of milk with mine, but Elery had some of this:

IMG_0199

Yes, that's jalapeno wine, from Cascade Winery in Grand Rapids. 90% jalapeno and 10% grape wine, LOL, Elery said it was good. I didn't have the nerve to try.....

Last night I made some whole wheat pasta with a sauce from our homemade Italian sausage, a big bunch of kale from the garden and a handful of parmesan:

IMG_0170

Instead of garlic bread we had asiago cheese bread topped with avocado and white tomatoes:

IMG_0168

A few days ago I baked maple oatmeal bread:

IMG_0156

We've been having tomato sandwiches regularly, because this is my current project, courtesy of way too many tomato plants in the garden:

IMG_0161

A lovely mix of Great White, Mortgage Lifter, Golden Jubilee, Rutgers and Bonny Best, with assorted Sungold thrown in, they just got ripe overnight. I had nearly given up ever getting a ripe tomato and suddenly they exploded into a sea of ripe tomatoes! The only thing that's outgrowing the tomatoes is the kale.

Annie

o

Yummy Yummy....I want to know more about that maple oatmeal bread?

o

Yummy, yummy is right! Nancy, that pizza looks absolutely perfect! Annie, while I was MIA from the CF, you have become quite the food photog. Gorgeous pictures! I am very jealous of your tomatoes, my lack of time this past year meant only a few pathetic porch containers and a sad gardening year for me.

Tonight is the first night of Rosh Hashana, so we are having a fairly traditional meal. Chicken matzoh ball soup, salad, roasted veg and potatoes, sweet and sour meatballs, spicy chicken with cashews and brown rice. Desert is brought by friends and family, so I'm not sure what it will be. Oh! And apples and honey, of course.

Happy, healthy and prosperous new year to you all. This forum has enriched my life over the past 15 years, and for that I am very grateful!

AM

o

AM, I'm glad you're back!!! Next year will probably be a better gardening year for everyone anyway. That's the good thing about gardens, there's always next year!

LindaC, it's one of my favorite breads, also a favorite of Lpinkmountain. The sweetener is grade B maple syrup and the only liquid is leftover coffee. "Oatmeal" bread is kind of a misnomer, as there isn't really all that much oatmeal in it. Anyway, here's the recipe and it makes a BIG loaf.

MAPLE OATMEAL BREAD

3 ��" 3 ¼ cups flour
1 pkg dry yeast
¾ cup prepared coffee
1/2 cup quick cooking rolled oats
½ (scant) cup maple syrup
2 tbls butter
1 tsp salt
1 egg

Combine a cup of flour and the yeast. Heat coffee, oats, syrup, butter and salt until just warm and butter is almost melted. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3-5 minutes kneading). Shape dough into a ball, place in lightly greased bowl, and turn over once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about an hour.

Punch down dough, cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile lightly grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Shape dough into a loaf and place into prepared pan, cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes). Bake at 350 F about 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf (14 slices)

Each slice contains 149 calories, 3 grams total fat, 2 grams sat. fat, 1 gr fiber, 26 gr. Carbs, 196 mg sodium, 4 gr protein. (Contains 8% of daily requirement of iron)

It's great toasted and makes a good tomato sandwich, because it's kind of soft and "squishy".

Annie

o

Sounds yummy....can't figure out how much flour.....but I will just add what feels right...but in case I need to pass it on....might should know!
Linda c

o

LindaC, I don't know why this darned computer does that, it looked fine when I previewed it.

It's 3 1/2 to 3 1/4 cups of flour, 3/4 cup coffee, 1/2 cup maple syrup. (sigh)

Annie

o

A few leftover comments from the last thread:

- Ruthanna, thanks for posting the recipes, I'll definitely be trying them out. Esp the stew - calling something "Greek" is half the battle of getting DW to enjoy it, LOL.

- Nancy, it might almost seem odd how people picked out gravy of all things to compliment, but yours really does stand out as looking extra delicious!

- Speaking of looking delicious, Ann and Adam, stuffed eggplant is on my short list of to-do's. VERY short list.

Annie, your tomatoes have me jealous and that jalepeno wine has me curious.

Tonight's dinner was a recipe from Food & Wine. The shrimp stew was wonderful, as was the rouille for the crostini. However DW and I were both left wondering why the two were paired together. (And I was left wondering what the difference is between rouille, aioli, remoulade, and um, flavored mayonnaise. Explanations welcome.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Marseille-Style Shrimp Stew

o

First, the shrimp stew looks marvelous. Which F&W issue? Secondly, I've included a link to a post I did more than a year ago about remoulade. It's a staple in my neck of the woods, but Carnival Cruise Lines can't seem to get it right.

Photobucket

As for my latest meal worthy of a photo, I was missing my grandmother and made my version of her Chicken & Dumplings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Confession No. 4 - I've never made Five-star cuisine, but I know the difference between bearnaise and remoulade.

o

Thanks Adam - Appears to be Oct '11; I linked to the recipe in my post above. Your link, however, seems to take us to your admin site. I know I can (and will) search, but thought I'd mention it.

o

I made, again, FOAS' seared tuna & ginger-shiitake cream sauce.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Slightly different from the recipe, used red onion not green onions, and the green onion version is better.

o

Jalapeno wine falls under: "just because they can doesn't mean they should." ;)

There is a winery in Iowa that also makes jalapeno wine - with raisins. They have the decency to call it a cooking wine.

Here is a link that might be useful: lavidalocawinery.com/

o

Eileen, I don't like wine and I'm not crazy about jalapenos, so I didn't try it, LOL. Elery likes both and said it was "better than he expected".

The owner of the winery here said that most of her clients didn't drink it by the glass as a wine, they used it in "dirty martinis". I'm not all that sure about mixing gin and the stuff either!

Annie

o

I like my gin in the form of Bombay Sapphire and mostly untainted. Ice and a lime wedge.

Elery's statement falls a bit short of an endorsement. Grins.

As for WFD here. Not much. Some rosemary bread from a good bakery and a glass of wine.

Eileen

o

Thanks for all the compliments on the gravy in the last thread. My family was all about meat and potatoes, my dad and brothers would put any extra gravy on bread when the potatoes were gone. My DM taught me that good gravy was the most important component of a good dinner. I learned all her tricks first hand.

Annie, I've just got to make that bread one of these days, been meaning to for a long time.

FOAS, your shrimp stew looks wonderful, I love anything shrimp.

The chicken and dumplings are true comfort food.

Fresh tuna is hard to find around here but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Last night I tried a new recipe that I found on Pinterest, call Double Crunch Fried Chicken a L'Orange... (link below)
Photobucket

I made mine using chicken tenderloins, a little over 1 1/2 lbs so I cut back on the flour mixture to 1/2 from the recipe. I wasn't sure about all the seasonings and spices in the flour mixture but I do like to follow the recipe the first time and then alter it, if needed, the next time. I wouldn't change a thing! I made the full recipe amount of the orange sauce and it was wonderful, glad I did. Extra sauce could be used on many vegetables, I'm thinking sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans.... I loved it! I may have to make more of the sauce all on it's own.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Crunch Fried Chicken a L'Orange

o

Oh yum, Nancy, that looks really good, I've definitely got to pick up some orange juice and make that!

that's funny about the bread and gravy, when my brother was younger he'd go to a restaurant and order a "hot beef sandwich with no beef". Yup, he just wanted bread, mashed potatoes and gravy!

Annie

o

Wizardnm...I would definitely fit in, in your household. I think gravy should be considered a beverage. :)

o

I vote yes for gravy as a beverage. ;-)

o

Nancy, I would be happy with both your pizza and your chicken.

I have to agree with "gravy as a beverage".

Adam, now that is what I call comfort food. Love Chicken and Dumplings.

Annie, nice tomato haul. Evenings are starting to cool off here. So I picked all my green tomatoes yesterday. Hoping they will ripen in the house.

John, Tuna looks and sounds delicious.

Lemony Butter Cake with Cream Cheese Filling

Almond Soo Guy

o

Woah. What is the almond soo guy?

o

John just follow her blog.

http://www.thibeaultstable.com/

o

Nancy, colorful yummy pizza. I make Sungold pizza all the time.

Annie, as usual, your meals are always complex, diverse and delicious. White tomatoes are great. I urge you to try GWR tomatoes also. They are so good.

FOAS, I can tell those are high quality shrimps.

unorthodoxepicure, Chicken dumpling may sound ordinary, but not the way you have made yours.

John, Wow! A very beautiful seared tuna & ginger-shiitake cream sauce dish.

Ann_t, Whatever Almond Soo Guy is, it looks inviting. Soooo Gooood!

- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -
Cooking for me is always opportunities for trying something new.

Came across some interesting seasoning from a place called Mad Hunky.

The stuff worked very well for these two dishes. Sous Vide Flank Steak and Sous Vide Lamb Loin Chop. The long cooking time of sous vide lets these interesting seasonings to work wonders.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

dcarch, what is GWR?

Annie

o

Wonderful looking dinners, everyone.

HillSept1_zpse59a5f19

The new potatoes are from the farm in the above photo and are stuffed with the centers, minced cooked green beans and herbs. Stuffed some of my little red onions with peppers and mushrooms and pepper cabbage and baked bronzini were the rest of the meal.

Bronzini_zpsecd9c6aa

More red onions marinated with cukes, tomatoes and green pepper and a pork stew made from sirloin pork chops.

PorkStew_zpsd11450a0

o

Nancy - That chicken looks and sounds so good. Sounds like it'll cost a small fortune in spices though, relatively speaking for a chicken dinner. I'm definitely going to try it.

John - Your version of the tuna looks good, if quite different from the original. I really have to make this soon; DW has been asking for years and I always resist because of all the cream.

Ann - Sometimes your pictures almost drive me to bake. Almost.

dcarch - Lamb, in one form or another, has been on my to-do list. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm glad I checked back on the grilled chicken thread and noticed a recipe that Lpink linked. I love Aleppo pepper and this dish sure showcased it. I'm already picking at the cold leftovers this morning - still good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs with Aleppo Pepper

o

LOL FOAS, I made that recipe this week too, but I used bone in, skin on chicken breasts and it didn't turn out very photogenic. Actually it wasn't all that flavorful but that's because I think I didn't marinate it very long and the skin got charred and removed and with it most of the flavoring. It was good and moist and flavorful, but just not as much as it should have been. But I got two whole packages of boneless chicken breasts so I hope to try it again and also the orange chicken.

As for Annie's maple oatmeal bread, I can definately vouch for it, I make it a lot in the bread machine. It's a great way for me to use up leftover coffee! Plus BF's favorite bread type is oatmeal.

o

Ruthanna, Elery was looking over my shoulder and says your dinner of stuffed potatoes, stuffed tomato and stuffed peppers looks delicious! I agree.

FOAS, I have that recipe on file to try, yours looks good so I'm using your opinion as a recommendation.

L, it's funny, neither you nor I want to throw out coffee, LOL. Of all the things to have leftover...

OK, I'm still working with tomatoes, so I made a tomato cobbler. It was very good, the cobbler part was made like biscuit dough with fresh thyme from the herb garden and some mustard. I'll definitely make it again.

IMG_0230_zpsc43558a1

Elery grilled lamb chops marinated in Jessica's Lime Chipotle marinade and I stir fried some broccoli with sesame oil. The eggplant was left over from a couple of days ago. All the vegetables came from the garden, so they were nice and fresh:

IMG_0232_zps2a9c0d1e

Last week I made some eggplant parmesan for Stepmother's freezer, she loves the stuff. I made my own version with baked breaded eggplant slices, slices of fresh garden tomato, a bit of sauce, and cheese:

IMG_0217_zpsca8165c9

I made some "stacks" for myself, a slice of the baked eggplant topped with a slice of roasted sweet onion and a slice of tomato, topped with just a tiny bit of cheese:

IMG_0221_zpsd6ba5f96

They didn't look as pretty cut, LOL:

IMG_0222_zpse8ba1b18

I alsos tuffed some acorn squash with some of our homemade italian sausage mixed with brown rice and seasonings. That was also for stepmom's freezer:

IMG_0226_zpsd7fab82b

Still more tomatoes left, so I made a batch of KatieC's Roasted Tomato and Garlic soup and canned it.

IMG_0224_zps559e7451

I'm so happy it's cooler, I think tomorrow I'm going to bake bread and make yogurt!

Annei

o

FOAS, great looking Kabobs.

Annie, everything looks good, but it is your stuffed squash that I'm craving. I can't remember the last time I made stuffed squash. Might have to put it on the menu next week.

Linguine with Chicken, Roasted Tomatoes and Olives.

Lemon Crinkle Cookies

Jacques Torres's Chocolate Chip Cookies

o

Man make fire!

I am bad at grilling, but after ruining dozens of birds over the years, I have finally figured out how to grill a chicken.

Spatchcock the bird (cut out the backbone), spread it flat, season inside and outside with salt and oil and whatever rubs you like. Heat up grill (I use a gas grill), cut ten branches of fresh rosemary, pile the cuttings on the grate, place the chicken on the pile of rosemary, "inside" down (all the meat at skin is facing up, the internal bones and cavity are facing down). Cover the chicken loosely with foil. Turn the gas to sort of medium-ish. Close lid and walk away. Come back in 1/2 hour and stick thermometer in the breast, then re-check every 10 min. When the temp is 20 F below what you want (so for me, 120 F; for everyone else, higher) remove foil, flip bird to be skin and meat side down. Grill until skin is browned to your liking, I usually turn the heat up at this point.

At some point in this process, there will be flame as the oil and fat from the chicken drips through the grate and ignites, catching the rosemary on fire. Maybe quite a bit of flame, like coming out even though the grill lid is closed. I actually hosed down the wood fence behind my grill, just to be safe. Other than safeguarding your life and property, ignore the flames. When thr dodo juices caught fire, did our caveman forbearers rush to tamp down the red flowers? No, they settled back with their cold beers and scratched comfortably, secure in the ancient truths. Flame -> crusty -> good.

Okay, it doesn't photograph very pretty. But it will be juicy, and taste yummy.

o

It looks good to me, John. Are those brussels sprouts on the grill with the chicken?

Ann T, I haven't made stuffed squash in a long time either, I like mine just plain, with a bit of salt and pepper, maybe some butter. Stepmom, though, wants it stuffed, says it's not a meal unless there is meat involved. Mac and cheese is a side dish, not a meal, and soup and a PBJ isn't a meal either. I'm finding it a bit difficult to cook for her!

She also is on coumadin and can't have pork or "anything green". Too bad, I made fried green tomatoes!

IMG_0275

In my family, fried green tomatoes were a breakfast food, many people think that's unusual but I like them. I also made some whole wheat waffles with toasted almond slivers, topped that with maple syrup. An egg on the side. This was way more brunch than I could finish!

IMG_0274

Tonight Ashley and Kevin were here and so I fried fish. I used my very high tech fryer, LOL:

IMG_0323

I made extra fish so I can take some to stepmom, but I don't know how it will re-heat. I'm sure she'll microwave it, she doesn't like to "mess with" the oven.

IMG_0326

Elery took one of our home grown chickens out of the freezer on Sunday and put it in the rotisserie. I didn't quite get a picture before he "deconstructed" it. (grin)

IMG_0267

We roasted a turkey breast one day and had that with home canned pink half runner beans and mashed fresh rutabaga from the garden.

IMG_0273

We had grilled shrimp one night with the leftovers of the tomato casserole and white sweet potato fries.

IMG_0237

I baked a couple of loaves of rye bread...

IMG_0240

And this morning I made Grandma's Farmhouse White. I had a helper, and while we were kneading bread I told her about her Great-Great-Grandmother, Delphia Powell, and how she was my Grandma and taught me to bake the very same bread:

IMG_0280

I don't know if she enjoyed the family history lesson, but she sure liked the results!

IMG_0300

It must be cookie time of the year, because I also baked cookies. Mine weren't as perfect as Ann T's, they never are. Sigh. They were good, though, oatmeal with white chocolate chips and dried cranberries:

IMG_0316

OK, I'm caught up! What else is for dinner?

Annie

o

Don't let her fall off the counter!

Yes, those are brussel sprouts being grilled too.

o

No, John, I would never let her fall off the counter. I'm right there, just out of the picture that Ashley took, LOL. Her mother sat on that same counter, as did her Aunt and both of her cousins, kneading bread and stirring pancake batter. I've never let a single one fall off although I considered pushing Ashley a couple of times, she still sat on the counter when she was in her teens and watched me bake bread.

I never thought of grilling brussels sprouts, for some reason. I love 'em, but I've never had them grilled.

Annie

o

John, based on the Cliff Experiment (General Psychology 101), babies do not fall off that easily. Very respectable grilled chicken.

Annie, I just returned from a trip to Detroit and Berkley. I probably could have come over and pinch Maddie�s cute cheeks. I see you have been eating very well. GWR tomato = Green When Ripe. I think you will enjoy this type of super great taste tomatoes.

Ann_t, beautiful as well as delicious looking Linguine with Chicken.

FOAS, I think you can do very well operating a food truck selling those yummy looking Yogurt-Marinated Chicken Kebabs with Aleppo Pepper.

Ruthanna, what a wonderful baked bronzini!

------ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A couple of dishes:

Baked Ox Tail

Pan Fried Shrimps on Chuck�s Yellow tomatoes.

dcarch

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

dcarch, you should have let me know you'd be in Detroit, that's only a couple of hours from Elery's and I'd have been happy to meet you. Or you could have come 4 hours north and played with Maddie, LOL, she'd have loved it.

Green When Ripe, that makes sense. I did grow Aunt Ruby's German Green one year, but it was hard to tell when it was actually ripe.

I made a tomato cobbler again today, we'll have frost probably Thursday night and that'll be the end of the fresh tomatoes. Sigh.

Annie

o

Oh man.. Fried fish. Eggplant. Grilled Brussels Sprouts. Ox tail. Let's face it. If there is one place on the whole World Wide Web to come get high on food, this is the place.

Before I get to my own foodporn, I'd like to ask each of you to come show me a little love beginning Wednesday on my blog. I'm calling my new feature the 'Food Snob Chronicles.' Hopefully, you'll learn as much as I do when I put on my reporter cap to write these things.

Now, onto the food...
Photobucket

I call these the 'World's Best Eggrolls' because ... Well, it all started about 15 years ago when I threw a whole batch of them in the trash after my wife was honest with me and said "They aren't the best I've ever had, but they're good." I've tweaked the recipe since then. And she also learned to lie to me. All is well now. ;-)

Photobucket

Leave it to my baby girl to make it all better. For her 14th birthday, she asked for my baked potato soup.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Unorthodox Epicure: Confessions of an Aspiring Food Snob

o

Adam, that is the best looking bowl of Potato soup I've ever seen.

Some of our recent meals:

Pork Schnitzel with fried onions and potatoes.

Ham dinner with acorn squash and potato gratin made with caramelized onions, thyme and chicken broth.

Grilled Burgers

Pizza - Pepperoni and Mushrooms

o

Wow, I'd like dcarch's shrimp as an appetizer, Adam's soup to start and Ann T's burger, along with a piece of the apple tart she posted on her baking thread. yum.

Instead I had maple glazed pork tenderloin, butternut squash from the garden, and leftover coleslaw.

Photobucket

A few days ago we had the last of the fried fish, leftover tomato cobbler, coleslaw and some mashed rutabaga. I love fall vegetables.

We've been at Elery's, packing boxes because his house went on the market last Monday, we had an offer by Thursday. Because it's a VA loan, although the parties were pre-approved an appraisal and inspection is required. Inspection is tomorrow, appraisal should be ready by next week.

Anyway, we've been packing books, blankets, kitchen stuff, everything we can. If the loan goes through we'll only have 7 days after closing to remove everything, so we're getting a headstart now.

So, breakfast has been a lot of instant oatmeal and cold cereal, lunch has been fast food so many times I don't wnat to think about it. I'm happy to be back home, where I can cook.

Annie

o

Annie - Good luck with that sale; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Last night was chicken marsala. The production took a while because I was interrupted with kids' baths, wrapping up work, etc. but it still earned a compliment of "best chicken marsala I've ever had, anywhere" from my wife. I'll take a compliment like that any day of the week!

o

Annie, that is great news on the sale. Nice to sell so quickly.

FOAS, great compliment from your wife. It must taste as good as it looks.

I used up the other half of the puff pastry I made earlier this week and made an old favourite - Poulet En Croute Lutece.

The chicken is topped with a mushroom duxelle and wrapped in puff pastry.

o

Ann - That looks amazing! So here's the question: even with the "quick" method you used (as opposed to other recipes I've seen that can take a couple days) is there a real benefit to making homemade puff pastry? Aside from the satisfaction of having done it? The ingredients list on the store-bought stuff doesn't look too scary.

o

I'm standing up, waving my arms and jumping up and down....let me answer.... :)

It's all about the flavor!!! There is a definite difference.

Side note... I used frozen puff pastry for something I took to the Farmers Market and when I started to make the labels I cheated and just listed puff pastry when I should have listed all the ingredients that were in the puff pastry. I sold them all but have not made them since then. When I do, I'll make my own pastry....

Nancy

o

FOAS, Homemade puff pastry really does taste better than frozen. BUT, the traditional method isn't worth the effort, in my opinion. Easier to just buy some quality frozen puff pastry. But, I must say that this quick version does taste better than frozen and it is so easy to make. Ready to use after an hour in the fridge. Enough for two tarts or in my case a tart and another dinner. I probably won't bother to keep frozen puff pastry on hand, unless it is my own.

~Ann

o

Ann T, Elery is wondering if we priced it too low, we had 5 or 6 people look at it the first week and already have an offer of the full listing price. I'm cautiously optimistic, Elery is still thinking that something will go wrong.

Oh, and thanks for that puff pastry recipe, I'll have to try it. I also think the traditional method isn't worth the final product, but your linked recipe seems much simpler.

FOAS, the chicken looks good, and so does Ann T's. Must be a chicken kind of day.

So, what's for dinner? Yesterday we had grilled tri tip with mashed potatoes and a new recipe for cabbage that contained chilies, tumeric, peanuts, lots of stuff. It was good but as usual for me, I overcooked the tri-tip on the grill.

IMG_0360

I made Ann T's stacked enchiladas today and added.....chicken, go figure!

IMG_0372

Since I had to pick all the tomatillos because of frost, I also had 6 pints of the sauce for the freezer, I'll have stacked enchiladas all winter!

IMG_0364

Elery made some vegetarian chili from Cook's Illustrated, it was very good:

IMG_0377

I baked a multi-grain bread to go with the chili:

IMG_0367

We had seared ahi tuna one day with brown rice and edamame:

IMG_0352

I made popovers for breakfast today and they actually "popped" nicely:

IMG_0354

o

Last night's supper was cider brined pork roast, some of the leftover cabbage and a new recipe that Mother wanted me to make with brown rice, roasted butternut squash, the rest of the peanuts, various cruncy vegetables and a olive oil based dressing. It was good, but I thought it was oily. Elery liked it, Mother liked it, my girls liked it, even Bud and Makayla ate it. I was the only one, I guess, with reservations.

Elery went back home today, the buyers backed out of the house deal. Since they'd put down $1,000 security with the agreement that they'd only get it back if the house didn't pass inspection or their loan fell through, they're complaining. They've accused us of being "deceptive" because Elery didn't tell them that the place was inspected for termites in 1993. Um, that's when Elery bought the place, termite inspection is required before purchase and the report was negative. They also announced that they expected that the appliances would stay and the curtains. That's pretty common but they also wanted the lawn tractor, the snow blower, the freezer in the garage, the washer and dryer and they wanted us to pay to tear the old barn down. Um, no. So the house is back on the market as an active listing and we'll see how long it takes this time.

I started a roaster full of bones for stock this morning so I may can some beef vegetable soup. Cooper had some of the beef from those bones, the rest will be shredded off and added to the soup. I had an egg sandwich, but at least I used homemade bread!

Annie

o

Good looking food...everyone!

Annie, sorry the sale of Elery's house fell through, it sounds like it will sell soon, since there was good response. I think there is a rule someplace that says we always second guess our price.

I made a new recipe for burritos tonight and for once I remembered to take a picture. They were good....

fall2012027-1

Nancy

o

Fantastic pics!!!!
I haven't been making anything news or pic-worthy. Lots of Thanksgiving leftovers, and whipping something up in a hurry.

Annie, I'm sorry about the house, sounds like those people would have been a major PIA anyway, and they'd be forever hounding you with "problems". Taking down the barn, Yeah, I'd jump right on that one!

Good job on the popovers! Wow. I love popovers, and mine sure don't pop like that.

Nancy, your burrito looks so good. Would you share your recipe? I love the healthy salad with it, too.

o

Jasdip, no problem,glad to post the recipe.

Wet Burritos Recipe

Posted By Bobby On August 15, 2011 @ 12:10 pm In Recipes : 8 Comments

Being a lover of Mexican cuisine it came as a shock to me that I had never heard of wet burritos. After looking over the ingredient list I knew this was something I had to make. If you are not familiar with wet burritos they are flour tortillas filled with a ground beef mixture and topped with a chile sauce and cheese. The burrito filling consists of hamburger, green chilies, and refried beans. What really impressed me about this dish was the chile sauce. This sauce uses condensed tomato soup, enchilada sauce and canned chili. The combination was excellent. If you are looking for a slightly different take on the burrito, give this one a try.

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 garlic clove (minced)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
1 (15 ounce) can chili without beans
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
6 (12 inch) flour tortillas (warmed)
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
1/2 cup green onions (chopped)

Cooking Instructions:

Step 1: In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook ground beef while chopping up with a spatula or spoon. Cook while chopping until browned. Add onion and cook until translucent. Drain the grease and season with garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in green chilies and refried beans. Mix until well blended. Turn off heat and keep warm.
Step 2: In a medium saucepan combine chile without beans, tomato soup, and enchilada sauce. Cook until heated through and bubbling. Keep warm.
Step 3: Place a warmed tortilla onto a platter, and spoon about a 1/2 cup of the ground beef mixture onto the center of the tortilla. Roll up the tortilla over the filling. Spoon a generous amount of the chile/enchilada sauce over the top of the burrito and sprinkle cheese over the top of the sauce. Microwave for 30 seconds or until the cheese has melted. Top with lettuce, tomato, and green onions.
(Makes 6 Servings)

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog Chef

o

Annie, that is one popped-up popover! I hope you'll have better luck with the next prospective buyer.

DH and I are in the midst of working on the political campaigns so dinners have been more of the soup+bread+salad type. We're starting to get ready for our church's November CraftFest by making 250 lbs. of candies last week and it will be pierogie day on Wednesday.

I did make a good dinner yesterday - pork tenderloin with PA Dutch potato filling and leeks with mushrooms.

PotFill

A friend of DH's was wishing he could taste his grandmother's cannelloni once again. Based on his description and what I remembered of them from Neopolitan Italian restaurants in the 60's, I was able to duplicate a taste of our youth. Main ingredients in the filling were veal, spinach and minced mushrooms. They were wrapped in sheets of fresh pasta and baked in a bechamel sauce with cheese and crumbs on top.

Canno1

o

Leftover asparagus, 1/2 a king crab leg and Swiss cheese turned into a frittata last night.

Frittata

o

Grilled some hanger steak that had been briefly marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and s/p. Served with sweet potato and saut�ed baby bellas.

Next will add some Dijon mustard to the marinade.

Sue

o

Ruthanna, that was a nicely "popped" batch of popovers. Of course, I don't know what I did different, so it'll probably never work again, LOL. They would have gone nicely with your frittata, that looks really good.

Nancy, we have another "looker" tomorrow night at 4 pm. At least it's on the market, that was a big step. Nice burritos, by the way, I've been hungry for some Mexican food.

jasdip, I think you're right, they'd have been a PIA. Now they are saying we should pay the inspection fee because they didn't buy the house. If we don't pay they're going to sue us for the $350.00. I told Elery I'd had it, we were NOT paying them $350.00 and they could go ahead and sue. I worked for lawyers long enough that getting sued sure doesn't scare me, they can just go ahead and go for it. And they were the very first people that looked at the house. I hope it gets better. Ugh.

On to more cheerful things, like food! We had chickens left in the freezer, so I put them through the grinder and then used Alton Brown's breakfast sausage recipe to make Scotch Eggs, although it was breakfast and not dinner.

IMG_0407

I'd been hungry for fish, so Elery baked some cod with panko and we had a celery root and parsnip puree on the side and some red cabbage sauteed with fresh pears. The fish was pretty bland, so I added some Asian sweet chili sauce.

IMG_0410

Elery had to go back to the house, a guy is coming tomorrow to pump the septic tank. Cooper and I had pot roast with potatoes and carrots. I'm not crazy for well done beef but Cooper disagrees, LOL.

IMG_0412

At least it's cool enough to cook, the summer was awful. Unfortunately, the baseball game got rained out, I thought maybe the Tigers could finish it tonight. It was beautiful earlier though and the cows were enjoying the pasture while it lasts, in a couple more weeks it'll be all hay for them and the horses.

Photobucket

IMG_0394-1

IMG_0387

Annie

Annie

o

Been trying all week to make this post, last Sundays was the day of our family (of 16) pictures. Taken here at home on our front porch. I offered to fix a lunch afterwards for all of us and can you imagine I got 15 takers.

The menu was simple, deli sandwiches, homemade rolls, pasta salad, hot pizza dip, assorted chips, and don't laugh... mimi tater tots for the little ones and they all were eaten. I always have the fear of not enough food and my DH just laughs.

The homemade rolls was Moonies Buns recipe and I made 4 batches with 10 rolls each. A nice size for sandwiches.
I hardly had any left overs by the time they left.

o

And then the rest of the story...

With my new Zojirushi BB-Pac20 breadmaker I Have been making bread now for a week. 5 loaves of KA Maple Oatmeal bread recipe, 4 Batches of cinnamon rolls made with Moonies Bun recipe, the 40 sandwich rolls, and Annie1992's Honey WW Bread recipe.

I have a 12 yr old Zojirushi V20 that is trying to die, so we just upgraded to the Zojirushi Pac20, now I have two.

Here is Pic of Annie1992's Honey WW Bread. The loaf was so good.

I have not figured out to send two pics in one post with comments between them. I will work on that. Shirl36

o

I know this is a cooking forum but you all are just over the top!! Such and inspiration, love it and envy your skills at the sometime.

o

Oh, those rolls are really calling me, Shirl! They look fabulous!

o

I agree, shirl, those rolls look delicious and the bread looks darned good too. I have an older zojirushi that I use all the time, I'll cry when it dies.

Like you, I have a fear of running out of food. I don't mind having leftovers but I hate to run out. It sounds like you figured it out just right.

What's for Dinner? I'm in the process of making shark cupcakes and hula girls for Bud and Makayla's birthday party tomorrow, so Cooper had leftover pot roast and I had raisin bran. I'd love one of Shirl's rolls instead!

Annie

o

Tried Giada's recipe for Pasta Fagioli (fazool) using my homemade chicken stock. Added a garlicy, warm dense bread for dipping. Very good.

Sue

o

I have 3 things to say about this thread:
1. It is only 4 am and now I am ravenous!
2. My grocery list just got longer
3. Don't know what to make first!

LOL

o

Annie, now that is a beautifully popped popover.

Nancy, thanks for sharing the recipe. I always loved the wet burrito from the Belt Line Bar in Grand Rapids.

Ruthanna, you are the one most responsible for giving me a craving for something. In this case it is your cannelloni. Boy that looks good.

Shirl, I love the buttery shine you have on your rolls and bread.

Sue, glad you are posting and sharing your meals with us again.

Some of what we have been eating:

Roast Pork

Breakfast Quiche with bacon, tomato and cheddar.

Wings and homemade potato chips

Roast Chicken Dinner

Ham, Cheese and Chive Biscuits

Chicken Livers with Onions and Green Peppers

o

Shirl, your rolls look wonderful. I wish I could have one right now for my lunch.

Annie, I like the idea of cabbage and pears together. I hope you took pix of the birthday cakes.

Last night, we had chicken Tetrazzini and a kale and golden raisin salad.

o

ruthanna, the cabbage and pears were a very nice mix, I'll make that again. How did you make the kale salad?

Ann T. those biscuits look wonderful, I may have to make biscuits for breakfast. The chicken livers look good too, but will have to wait. We "processed" 25 chickens yesterday and after plucking and cleaning them all, I just don't want any right now. We have 25 more to do next week. (sigh) I must have lost my mind, ordering 50 baaby chickens!

Anyway, what's for dinner? Um.....chicken. Yeah. BBQ'd chicken in the smoker, with kale from the garden and a vegetable "stew" with lentils and butternut squash.

IMG_0466

This wasn't for dinner, it was breakfast. I used Alton Brown's recipe for seasoning breakfast sausage but used ground chicken in place of pork. It was very good, good enough that we ground another 10 pounds of chicken. I also remember someone had a chicken burger recipe with Thai flavorings, I'll have to look that up.

IMG_0467

As some of you may remember, I have a nephew-in-law (is that a relative?) who lives at the farm and takes care of my animals, my fence, etc. He managed to shoot a 4 point buck in the back of the hayfield and was packaging that while Elery and I were processing chickens. In return for a couple of chickens he gave us the venison "backstrap". Elery loves venison so we went home and cut some medallions then marinated them. Elery seared them quickly in my cast iron pan and with a baked sweet potato from the garden made a nice meal:

IMG_0468

Saturday was the birthday party. Ruthanna, you KNEW I'd take pictures. (grin)

Makayla wanted a tropical theme, Bud was somewhat underwhelmed until we started talking about sharks and their possible victims. So......I made hula girls from chocolate cupcakes:

IMG_0418

A strawberry cake with strawberry mousse filling and decorated with gummy fish, since any cake that also utilizes candy is a good thing for a 7 year old boy:

IMG_0417

And finally, the shark cupcakes, made from the good old Hershey's recipe, I've never found one I like better. The shark mouths were "edible images", simply peel off the backing and stick to the top of the cupcake. These sharks, though, had victims......(cue music from "Jaws")

IMG_0420

IMG_0421

I liked the strawberry cake, made from scratch and containing strawberry puree, but the littlest guest preferred the Hershey's chocolate cake:

IMG_0433

And I'm not gonna argue with that little guest, she's too darned cute!

Annie

o

Okay, I have to jump in here instead of lurking because of the cute baby!! Love those cupcakes too.

o

Ann, all your meals look so tempting and you reminded me that we haven't had chicken livers for a while. If they're nice, I'll be getting some on Friday to have this weekend, unless Annie wants to give me the 25 from her last batch of chickens.

Gellchom posted the kale salad last year and I've made it quite a few times. I also used the same dressing on a spinach salad with apples and walnuts.

KALE SALAD WITH PINE NUTS AND GOLDEN RAISINS

Makes 4 servings (sez she; I think more)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Scant 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 to 8 ounces kale (I use more; there's plenty of dressing)
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts

Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, syrup, mustard, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a nonreactive bowl. (The dressing can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes before using.)

Remove and discard the tough stems and center veins from the kale leaves. Then cut the leaves crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide strips to yield 6 cups well-packed kale. (I often just chop up the leaves rather than worry about pretty strips; it's a LOT quicker.)

Place the dressing in a salad bowl and whisk well. Add the kale and toss to coat greens thoroughly with dressing. Divide salad evenly and mound on 4 salad plates. Garnish each serving with raisins and pine nuts. (I like to serve it in a big bowl instead of on individual plates, so I just put the raisins and nuts on top and eventually it all gets tossed together.)

I love those cupcakes, Annie, and it looks like your GD does too.

o

Thanks for that recipe, Ruthanna. I remember when Gellchom posted it, but I didn't have quite the harvest of kale then that I do now!

Yes, maddie loved those cupcakes. But then again, she loves any cupcakes, LOL, so that's not an endorsement. (grin)

So, what's for dinner?

We had a corned beef brisket with cabbage and potatoes one day:

IMG_0472

Elery started a container of kim chee:

IMG_0479

One night I made some butter chicken, coconut curry vegetables and a pasta/farro dish:

IMG_0474

I took the leftovers from the pasta and made some pesto using kale in place of basil. I like basil but I think pesto tastes too strongly of basil, I liked this better. Italian sausage on the side:

IMG_0483

tonight we had October beans that Elery grew a couple of years ago, along with a loaf of bread from Bernard Clayton's bread book. It was a batter bread filled a mixture of cheese with a bit of hot sauce. I didn't have cheddar so I used Dubliner:

IMG_0490

IMG_0487

I had the beans in the crockpot cooking all day while Elery and I went to get our flu shots. The bread was very good, but made a huge "loaf", baked in a tube cake pan:

IMG_0485

I think I could toast it on a baking sheet in the oven and it might make a pretty good grilled cheese but that cheese in the middle might be problematic.

Annie

o

Annie that is one big beautiful loaf of bread. Is it a yeast bread?

Roast Pork Tenderloin with a mushroom sauce.

o

Ann T, it is a yeast bread, but only needs to be beaten with the dough hook, no kneading required. It's very good, but hard to make grilled cheese because of the cheese filling. Also not good in the toaster, LOL.

Your roast pork looks delicious. I'm going to get some pork shoulder in the smoker this week, Amanda's 30th birthday party is Saturday. She wants pulled pork, homemade buns, a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. She's easy to please!

Annie

o

Too bad it doesn't toast well. I love toasted Cheese bread.

I keep coming back to look at Madison. Such a little sweetie.

Sesame Chicken

Meatloaf with Sage

o

Wow, no one's eating?

I can tell you that I have been, although I left my camera at Amanda's last weekend when we had her birthday party. Now it's time to catch up!

Yum, Ann T, I love sesame chicken. I ought to make some, I sure have enough chicken! As for the cheese bread, I finally figured out how to toast it. I didn't use the toaster because the cheese just melted down into the bottom so I plopped it into a hot dry cast iron skillet, worked like a charm! (picture is a couple of meals down)

Amanda was 30 last Friday, so we had a party. You know how we are, any excuse to eat, LOL. I took two pork shoulders out of the freezer, 17 pounds worth. I spread them with mustard, made a rub from paprika, salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic, some other stuff and smoked them at 230F for 6 hours, until they were 165F internally. I removed them, wrapped them in foil and put them into the refrigerator. On Saturday I plopped them into the big Nesco roaster and finished them to about 200F. When they shredded nicely I made pulled pork. I didn't think to take a picture afterward, here they are before.

IMG_0508

I also made one of Amanda's favorite cakes, the Hershey's chocolate layer cake. Four layers with peanut butter frosting and a coating of dark chocolate ganache:

IMG_0519

Elery made some kimchi. Or is that kim chee? Anyway, his gallon jar of vegetables became 2 quarts of some seriously hot stuff:

IMG_0503

the kids and I baked some halloween cookies:

IMG_0506

One day we had corned beef and so I made corned beef hash to go with our eggs and homemade cheese bread. I had to toast the bread in a hot skillet because the cheese layer in the middle tended to melt, but it was good.

IMG_0498

I used the leftover corned beef to make a kind of odd calzone, and some leftover butter chicken to fill another one:

IMG_0496

Since we've picked up this yar's pork, there's kind of a pork theme going, I butterflied a loin roast, flattened it and stuffed it with apples and cranberries, served with butternut squash and mashed rutabaga:

IMG_0511

tonight Elery put some glazed salmon on the grill and we had that with sauteed brussels sprouts and quinoa.

IMG_0525

Yes, we have been eating well. Last night I made some rye bread and tomorrow we'll probably have salmon patties made from the leftover salmon and some homemade rye bread.

So, what else is for dinner?

Annie

o

Annie, you and Elery certainly have been eating well. I love Kimchi.

Halibut season closed yesterday. So the last of the fresh halibut will be coming in off the boats today.

Decided to make a Cioppino for dinner last night with all fresh seafood.

Dungeness Crab, halibut, clams and mussels. Lots of crusty baguette to sop up the wonderful broth.

o

ann t, your such a tease ;-)

o

Mexican Stuffed Pepper

Untitled

o

caminnc, I agree.

Ann T, that Cioppino looks delicious. I really like halibut, it's one of my favorite fish, but I've never had it fresh, only frozen.

There's an Open House tomorrow by the real estate company, so we'll go to Ann Arbor and stop at Trader Joe's and the Asian market, then maybe Horrocks before we start back to my house.

dinner tonight was at Elery's son's, since we didn't want to mess the house up by cooking. Chicken breast, salad, breadsticks and some of the peanut butter filled chocolate cookies that I brought with me. It was a whole lot better than fast food.

Annie

Annie

o

Ann, your Cioppino photos should be in a magazine. Beautiful!

Between cleaning up Sandy's aftermath, the election, and preparing for our church craft show last weekend, the only good dinner I remember making was a chuck eye pot roast with carrots, turnips and mashed potatoes.

I finally got back into my regular cooking mode today with a baked marinated chicken breast and butternut squash custard.

SquashPuff

I had made a variety of baked goods for the fair. Fastest sellout were these marshmallow fudge cookies.

MarshCookies

o

Oxtail in progress. Browned, red wine, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Simple. The lid of the pressure cooker is about to be closed for 90 minutes at high pressure, equivalent to 6 hours' slow cooking.

Improvised chicken and mushroom cream sauce using gluten-free flour. The stuff thickens effectively, though it isn't bleached so the sauce is a bit more yellow than I'd like. Next time I'll use corn starch. Used leeks instead of onions, a more delicate flavour I think. Was served with gluten-free (corn) noodles, which are not bad although, frankly, not very good either. Still looking for a good gluten-free pasta.

o

Ruthanna, That dinner looks soooooo goooood. I love the idea of the squash custard.

John, you can't go wrong with chicken in a mushroom sauce. I love oxtails. One of my favourite meals.

We had them Sunday for dinner. Served with Spaeztle.

o

After a few weeks of not much cooking going on, I made Lidia's Italian American Meatloaf last night. Her program was on our PBS station Sunday afternoon. It turned out to be a very delicious take on meatloaf. I will make it again; maybe make some mini-loaves to freeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lidia's Italian American Meatloaf

o

Anne_T, Many gorgeous dishes, especially the oxtails.

John, your oxtail ain't bad either.

Ruthanna, I made broccoli and chicken breast too. I admit yours look better.

Pretty.gurl, very pretty Mexican Stuffed Pepper.

Annie, there is love in all your dishes.

Nancy, delicious burritos.

shirl36, Nice bread!

FOAS, you deserve "best chicken marsala I've ever had, anywhere" from your wife.

Various simple dishes in the past few days.

dcarch

Odds and Ends Pork Shoulder with Asparagus
Photobucket

Photobucket

Pulled Sous Vide Flank Steak with Broccoli Stems
Photobucket

Photobucket

Sous Vide Chicken Breast, Asparagus, Tapioca in Baked Kabocha Squash
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

John and Ann T, you remind me there are oxtails in the freezer, I should make some.

Ruthanna, is that squash custard kind of like pumpkin custard? Sweet? Or is it savory? It looks good and very interesting, since I grew a BUNCH of butternuts this year.

dcarch, I do love my family and I love to cook, so I guess there IS love in it all, although Ashley would not have agreed during those times when I was insisting that she eat her vegetables, LOL.

Is that wasabi on the chicken or a puree of the asparagus? And what makes the tapioca red? I have a bag that Elery just bought at the Asian market and it's the large tapioca, so now I have to find something to do with it.

OK, so what's for dinner? We've had a conglomeration of things this week, very "multi-cultural", LOL. Plus, they've done some significant changes on the photobucket website, so I'm finding it time consuming to beat the darned thing into submission, but here goes. Forgive me if the pictures are not the right size, I'm working on it!

I got a great buy on cabbage at a local farmer's market, 13 cents a pound. Mine didn't do well in the heat, so I bought 25 pounds and promptly packed 20 pounds of it with salt for sauerkraut. Then I made cabbage rolls. Some I cooked on a bed of homecanned sauerkraut, with a sauce made from my homecanned heirloom tomatoes. The filling was half grassfed beef and half homegrown chicken, ground. Grandma always made mashed potatoes with cabbage rolls, so I had to do that too, with a slice of bread.

IMG_0554

IMG_0555

the bread was very good, a King Arthur flour recipe that was new to me but sounded good with parmesan cheese and black pepper. It was very good with supper, but it's wonderful toasted. Crescia al Formaggio, an eggy cheesy bread:

IMG_0551

IMG_0549

One evening we had salmon burgers on toasted buns with home canned sweet pickle slices and another night we had some locally raised pork chops with some homecanned beets and a side of very convoluted nasi goreng, something Sheshebop taught me to like. I used edamame in place of the peas, and copious amounts of kecap manis:

IMG_0544

IMG_0537

Finally, we had a meal of venison and broccoli stir fry with rice and a steamed spinach filled Chinese bun. The stir fry was good, as always, it's a favorite of Elery's, but the bun was one of the most non-plus things I've ever tried. The dough had a cottony texture and no flavor at all, and the filling seemed made with very fibrous greens and something else I couldn't identy. Those were tossed into the bucket for the chickens, neither of us nor Cooper would eat them. Since I've never had a steamed bun I don't know if that's how they are supposed to be, but somehow I doubt it.

IMG_0557

IMG_0558

We roasted a homegrown chicken, this was not one of the broilers we raised specifically for the purpose, it was a young rooster who was sent as an "extra" when we bought the laying hens. A nice size, but even at 5 months of age he would have benefitted from a braising instead of the rotisserie. We had a side of fresh brussels sprouts and some quinoa simmered in chicken stock along with Elery's pink half runner beans:

IMG_0526

IMG_0531

We had to have at least one dessert in there, so I made some cookies to take to Elery's grandkids. The peanut butter filling is rolled into a ball, the chocolate dough is shaped around it and the cookie is flattened and then sprinkled with sugar. They were good with coffee and the grandkids loved them, as did their parents, LOL.

IMG_0535

OK, I'm caught up. What else is for dinner?

Annie

o

Annie, I have to laugh. That roasted homegrown chicken sitting on the table, looks like it is clapping its hands (wings) watching you going crazy cooking!

You know, those steamed Chinese buns may go very well with Jacques Pepin's steamed turkey, LOL!

No, that is not wasabi sauce on the chicken breast.

For some reason,cooking always ending up trying out ideas for me. I got some very nice asparagus, which was interesting in this season. But they came with tough stem ends. The first dish shows if I peel them good and cook them separate, they are very edible.

Then I was wondering with all the fiberous asparagus peelings, perhaps I could make that into a sauce. So instead of the compost bin, the blender they went. With a few other ingredients, The green asparagus sauce was pretty good.

The Flank Steak with Broccoli Stems dish is a anti-social dish against all those people who only use flank steak cut across the grain and people who throws away broccoli stems, the best part of broccoli.

dcarch

o

Annie, I love when you post all of your meals together. I like the sound of that loaf of bread. You can't go wrong with Parmesan cheese and black pepper.

I made Moe one of my infrequent salads.

Gorgonzola, Candied Walnuts and Pomegranate.

A late breakfast

Steak Frites

And my version of Clam "Chowder".

o

Yum, AnnT, the clam chowder looks especially good and I really like the shape of that bowl.

Here we had dinner that we'd been working on all day. We boned a turkey, flattened it, rolled it up with a filling made of ground chicken, eggs, cream, bread crumbs, seasonings. It was a recipe courtesy of a Todd English video.

Elery liked it well enough that I think we're making it for his family's Christmas meal, although I think the stuffing would benefit from the addition of some chopped apples and maybe some dried cranberries and since his daughter has celiac disease and cannot have gluten, I'm going to go with cornbread in the stuffing. So, maybe cornbread, cranberries, apples, perhaps pecans? I'll have to think about that.

Ours we had with sauteed butternut squash from the garden and some of the leftover nasi goreng from a couple of nights ago.

IMG_0568

Annie

o

Ann t, Dcarch, Annie

Wow! those plates look so delicious!!! I would like to try every single one of them. A lot of thought and work involved in those dishes, it is great to learn from the masters of the fine art of cooking!

Here is my humble contribution this morning for a potluck, heirloom tomato caprese salad, to be used later with a sun dried tomato dressing and a zucchini bread.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Silvia, you are not a very nice person!

Teasing us those incredible heirloom multi-color succulent big beef steak tomatoes from your own garden, when all we have are rotting green tomatoes in the basement, how cruel! :-)

The zucchini bread slices will be gone in 15 minutes if you lay them out in front of me.

dcarch

o

Silvia, I also envy you those tomatoes, mine are long gone here in Michigan.

There's always next year, though, and I still have bok choy in my backyard garden here in town. That stuff lived through the snow we had the other day, tough stuff indeed!

Annie

o

Dcarch - All your pictures and Annie's showing the chickens also got me wanting my own chicken. I did not take the bones but it was still good,lol.

Dinner tonight, roasted small chickens

Photobucket

And a simple salad from the garden

Photobucket

When you are in the South, you get to eat Southern food, collards from my garden

Photobucket

Annie - I love bok choy, I am growing a baby Chinese cabbage this season that I really like.

Silvia

o

Picked up some saba (mackerel) at the Asian grocery.

Mackerel is one of my favorite sashimi fish, but at home I cook it. Filet the fish, which is most fun part of this dish. Dissecting fish is fun! Remove errant bones, which is a pain. When I was a kid, we didn't bother with pulling out pin bones, and I find it irritating that today's diners need every last bone removed. The process tears up the flesh. You can do it after cooking, when the bones don't cling to the flesh so hard.

Marinate the carefully deboned filets in sake, which eliminates any fishy taste, important for SWMBO. Then poach filets in a miso broth, which tonight was leftover chicken stock instead of dashi - lazy! - green tea - not enough stock - and white miso paste. Poach just like you'd do an egg: turn off heat, let the broth cool to 180, slip the fish into the broth and leave it for two to three minutes. The filets will curl up around the skin, that's okay. Then lightly salt the filet and sear it, skin side down, in a hot pan with plenty of oil (or a well seasoned cast iron pan with a little bit of oil). The curled filets will relax, with a bit of gentle spatula petting. Finally, portion and coat with sauce. Again, it being lazy night, this is store-bought Yoshida sauce.

The other stuff is purple yams, carrots, and mushrooms, all pan fried.

o

Yum, Silvia, I love collards. My husband is from Tennessee, he loves them too and oddly enough, never adds meat to his, I always add smoked pork hock or another "pig product" to mine.

John, I just realized I've never seen a mackeral that wasn't in a can! For some odd reason, I thought they were huge fish. It looks good, I never met a fish I didn't love.

So, What's For Dinner? A couple of days ago I found some turnips for $2. A fifty pound bag of them, LOL. Also a 50 pound bag of parsnips for $3. They were meant for deer bait, that's what the local producers do with oddly sized produce that doesn't meet the exacting standards of consumers, who can't stand something too big or too small or too strangely shaped. Very odd indeed, but I benefitted, so I'm happy. I also bought half a bushel of rutabaga at the local farmer's market while looking for potatoes, so I cut up one of each for supper, and quickly seared a grassfed ribeye in my cast iron pan:

IMG_0576

IMG_0577

IMG_0583

Elery has been experimenting with kimchi, he loves the stuff. Gina told me to try cucumber kimchi, so I did, it was sitting in the fridge in a quart jar waiting for a good use. I decided to make Upper Peninsula Cornish pasties for supper with venison, onion, potato and rutabaga and Elery decided that kimchi would be the ideal accompaniment, LOL.

IMG_0589

The pasties were moist but not runny and the pastry came out flaky and crusty:

IMG_0594

Elery was right, the cucumbers were a nice accompnaiment, not too spicy, but cold and crunchy and a bit salty. I was surprised. I'm a heat wuss, so I had a cube of cucumber with a bite of pasty, LOL:

IMG_0595

Elery says he doesn't think anyone else in town had pasties and kimchi for supper. Somehow, I think he's right...

Annie

o

Silvia, I'm not a big salad fan, but I would be happy to eat both of yours. Especially that gorgeous Insalata Caprese.

John, unlike Annie, there are very few fish that I actually like. Unfortunately, Mackerel isn't one of them. Which is too bad, because your presentation looks quite delicious.

Annie, as always, perfectly cooked steak.

Roast leg of pork (This was actually Moe's breakfast). We had breakfast for dinner the night before, so since I was up early I put the roast in the oven and made dinner for breakfast. I took some with me to work and had mine for lunch.

I baked baguettes on Monday.

For lunch we had escargot with slices of baguette for dipping up all the wonderful parsley, garlic and butter sauce.

Baked again yesterday - Bagels.

Bagels with cream cheese and lox for lunch.

o

Made a big pot of chili and served with homemade flour tortillas.

o

Silvia - your simple salad of fresh lettuce and tomatoes looks divine. What type of dressing did you make for it?

Teresa

o

Annie - Those pasties look so yummy! I don't remember eating them. I am going to get one of these days yours and Ellery's recipes for cooking collards, I love to try new ways of cooking.

Ann t - I love, love your well presented dishes! You have an eye for beauty, eating at your house must be a pleasure and you always tempt me with those breads, they are works of art just as those wooden boards.

Teresa - Thank you, I love vegetables and fruits and at this time of the year I have an abundance of greens and tomatoes for my salads, also citrus. I just use a simple dressing of 1 part red lime or meyer lemon to 3 parts of extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Silvia

o

Wow, this is loading slowly, maybe all the pcitures. Soon we'll be starting a new thread anyway.

Silvia, pasties are an Upper Peninsula "thing", the miners up there carried them for their lunches, they could be warmed on a shovel over the fire. They are really Cornish pasties, but here they're just U.P. Pasties.

So, no one is eating or have we expended all possible calories for Thanksgiving? (grin)

I've been eating pretty well here. We've had shrimp with baked sweet potatoes, those purple ones I got at the Asian market after Sylvia said she grew them. I expected them to be purple in the middle but they weren't, they were white. Odd, but very good. Elery especially liked them and said they tasted like the white sweet potatoes he had when he was a kid.

IMG_0638

We had breakfast one evening, with homemade chicken sausage, fresh eggs, potato patties made of leftover mashed potatoes and toast from homemade bread.

IMG_0642

tonight we had ahi tuna, grilled rare, with roasted fingerling potatoes from the garden and parsnips from that 50 pound bag I bought for $3.00.

IMG_0643

With that we had a salad of chopped romaine, avocado, fresh pineapple and some of Gina's cucumber kimchi. Honey mustard dressing made with some of my homemade yogurt and it was surprisingly good.

Other than that, I took the last of the Meyer lemons beachlily sent me a few weeks ago and made some lemon curd, and I had the obligatory Thanksgiving meal, which I'll post pictures of later.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Now, what's for dinner?

Annie

o

Thank you Annie for explaining the pasties to me, I will try them one day for sure.

And you are amazing, all your dishes look so delicious! You probably had a different variety of sweet potato than mine, they are so many different kinds, I am glad that Elery like them, he is a good sport.

After making the turkey and having all turkey days recipes, we tried to stir away from that and made a very simple dishes, they are pale compared to yours.:)

Made BLT sandwiches with grilled bread and aioli sauce, more bacon is underneath the lettuce,lol.

Photobucket

Scalloped potatoes

Photobucket

I had them simple with roasted tomatoes

Photobucket

Hazelnut, strawberry crumb pie

Photobucket

Silvia

o

Great pictures Silvia. I like how you did your scalloped potatoes - springform or tart pan?

And your BLT looks amazing. We had the same thing for breakfast this morning. I split and toasted a homemade baguette.

What we have been eating:

Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage gravy for me.

Moe had his topped with poached eggs.

Wings and Salad

Simple Tossed Salad

Peppercorn Steak with baked tomato, Parisienne Potatoes and broccoli.

Breakfast for Two - Toasted Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich on homemade baguette.

o

Ann t - Thank you, I did the scalloped potatoes in a springform.

Your dishes are all so perfect and dreamy! and your breakfast for two with your baguettes is fit for a Queen and King.
Those wings look so appetizing! A feast for the eyes.

Silvia

o

Wow, I agree, the scalloped potatoe3s look delicious and much neater than mine do, just spooned onto plates!

The BLTs are calling my name, both of them. Sigh. No fresh tomatoes here, I'll have to wait for, oh, 7 or 8 months, LOL.

I had vegetable soup and a sandwich made with leftover tuna for supper. I'm spending tomorrow with Maddie, Ashley has a 12 hour shift so I doubt I'll cook much and Elery has a head cold so nothing smells or tastes good.

I'll just have to come here and drool...

Annie

o

What, no one is eating?

When I get my new computer whipped into shape (I've ben watching YouTube videos on Wndows 8, LOL), I'll post pictures. Well, when AT&T manages to get a reliable internet connection again too!

Dinner tonight was leftovers. I had some ribs from a couple of days ago, pinto beans, mashed rutabaga and red cabbage with pears, quite an odd conglomeration.

I've got some cookie dough in the freezer and venison jerky in the dehydrator and tomorrow is Makayla's "Holiday Concert" so I'll do that after I take care of Stepmother.

I've got some pictures of prior meals but haven't been able to get them off the camera and onto the computer yet!

Annie

o

I had some mac-n-cheese last night if that counts, without pictures. I'd eat your odd conglomeration any day. Just one question, did you eat any biscotti with it? Looks like I sure missed a row! But glad you're still posting. I'd eat anything you made. Tonight? Dunno. Prosecco maybe. And chocolate! If I could, I would.

o

Rob, Prosecco and chocolate!!! I like the way you think.

~Ann

o

c'mon down! I'll have enough. For you, anything.

o

Rob, I was just in a snit, I'd had a long difficult day with the computer, the internet connection, an $800.00 repair to the water pump at the farm, I wasn't happy and just didn't want to deal with it. I'm fine and sorry I started such a row, I'd normally just shrug that off.

Dinner? Lobster bisque at my favorite dive bar, Schuberg's. Makayla's class had their "holiday concert" and she had a speaking part, all 4 sentences, LOL. Then they sang and danced. "Jazz Hands" and "White Christmas". It was a bit......different.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here