Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Jelly?

Posted by lakemayor (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 19:40

I was preparing a batch of Habanero Gold Jelly when I discovered I am out of Certo liquid pectin. Can I use Sure Jell fruit pectin as a substitute?

I have made two batches using Certo and they turned out perfect. I'm afraid to substitute unless I hear from the CF experts.

Thanks - Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Jelly?

I just got back and answered your email, but I'll post here too.
Recipes that are formulated for use with liquid pectin like Certo are not formulated for powdered pectin like Sure Jell, they are not interchangeable products.

Will it work? Maybe, but most likely not. Of course, if it doesn't set it makes great glaze for grilled chicken.....

Annie

o

Thanks Annie, I thought maybe your were gone. Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the store tomorrow.

Karen

o

Karen, I'm glad Annie chimed in 'cause you don't want to ruin the best jelly there is! I have bought numerous pepper jellies over the years and fine none better than Annie's recipe for Habanero Gold Jelly. My favorite breakfast is bagel with cream cheese and HGJ.

o

Cathy, I'm glad you like it. I'm a heat wuss but something about the sweet and hot in that jelly makes a bagel with cream cheese perfect for breakfast. Even I can eat it.

That recipe came from the Bernardin website, so I guess I owe that Grand Champion ribbon I got at this year's fair to Canada!

Annie

o
How's the jelly?

So, Karen, how did the jelly turn out? My habaneros did very well this year, I've already made a dozen jars of jelly and some hot sauce.

Annie

o

Sorry for not answering Annie. I just didn't see your post. It turned out really well. I have canned about 24 jars. Two didn't seal. Can I put them back in a HWB?

Also Annie, you shared your recipe for the hot sauce made with Habanero peppers and I can't find it. Would you share again or would someone else please share it if they have it.

Karen

o

Karen, the hot sauce recipe is on the other thread you posted.

Sure, you can add new lids and reprocess the jelly, but the "rules" say within 24 hours. I usually keep an eye on the jars when I take them out of the canner. If they haven't sealed within a hour, I reprocess them right then. I might "waste" a lid by reprocessing something that might have sealed, but I'd rather do that and not have to worry about using up a jar immediately.

Happy Canning.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here