SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

Do you like ginger? I mean really, really like ginger?

arabellamiller
13 years ago

Because if you do, you will love these Pomegranate Ginger Bites.

The recipe is adapted from one I saw in Saveur magazine. I dropped some of the ginger (it's still plenty gingery) and added the pomegranate seeds to make them more appropriate for the Jewish New Year. The seeds add a nice crunch. These have been so well received that I'm planning on including them in a holiday baking class I'm giving in a few weeks.

Pomegranate Ginger Bites

for the shortbread:

1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter

1 cup sugar

3 cups flour, sifted

3 tsp ginger

1 tsp ground cardamom

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add flour, ginger, cardamom, baking powder and salt. Mix together, then transfer to the baking dish and press flat with your hands. Bake 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.

for the glaze:

1/2 cup plus 6 Tbsp. butter

2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ginger

2 1/2 tsp. cardamom

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

3 Tbs golden syrup or rice syrup

Fresh pomegranate seeds to taste

Combine all ingredents except pomegranate seeds in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while watching carefully, then pour over cooled shortbread. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, let cool and cut into small squares.

These are most easily eaten in one bite, so cut into small pieces.

Enjoy!

Comments (42)

• amck2
    13 years ago

Maybe it should be obvious, but I have to ask - Is the ginger in the ingredient list ground ginger, fresh, or crystallized?

I'm in the camp that really, really likes ginger!

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry, it's powdered! I used Penzey's, which might have been why my first run at the original recipe, with a few extra tsp of ginger was a little too gingery.

• Related Discussions

Do voles like hardy ginger?

Q

Comments (6)
    remind me again- how do you tell the difference between moles & voles by their holes? which has the mound, which is just a hole in the ground? i think i have voles- i have the holes, no mounds, but can't say that i've noticed any plants or bulbs getting eaten because of them. got me to thinking maybe i've got moles and that's why i notice no plant damage or dissappearances. i incorporated a lot of the vole block into the areas they seem to frequent- same each yr-, and just loosening up the soil to add it in has encouraged them. the gravel doesn't seem to deter them at all. maybe once it settles in a yr, but not this winter (i did it in the fall). i thought it was doing ok, but as i've been planting things this spring, each time i trowel in those areas, i hit a tunnel that was hard to see with the mulch & such. it seems to be absolutely riddled. thanks for any thoughts. alicia, i've not noticed them bothering my gingers, but they don't run where i have the majority of them planted, so i don't know how applicable it is for your question. tam
    ...See More

would you like some ginger...

Q

Comments (15)
    Caroline ~ I do believe we've become candied ginger addicts. DH said last night, What are we going to do when this is all gone? It is great for digestive issues and the flavor is so good and it's definitely on the 'hot' side, which we like anyway. I've got to copy your recipe and see if I can do this for ourselves. From what I remember from reading your recipe it seems involved, so I better make lots. What is the shelf life? If I make a lot should it be stored in the fridge? Thanks again FlowerLady
    ...See More

Do gingers like compost

Q

Comments (1)
    Rhizomes.... It depends somewhat on what kind they are. If they are Hedychiums (butterfly gingers)they are not too picky about soil depth and will tolerate a fairly heavy mulch, but it is best to plant the rhizomes with the tops just at soil level. They LOVE compost, and rich organic soil and you can mulch around them but it is better not to cover the rhizomes with a heavy mulch.
    ...See More

'Vulcan'....I Really Do Like It. What About You?

Q

Comments (3)
    Mine is a sharp, clean, good grower with lots of standout. I like it very much.
    ...See More
  • jimster
    13 years ago

With the changes you made this looks really good. I will make it for a special occasion.

Jim

• nan_nc
    13 years ago

I love fresh ginger. I don't wear perfume, but if there was one that smelled like fresh ginger I'd wear it! Powdered ginger, meh. I don't even put it in my pumpkin pies.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Mmmmm, I love ginger. I love fresh ginger and powdered ginger and crystallized ginger. I eat pieces of Penzey's crystallized ginger right out of the bag, so this looks delicious to me!

I'm definitely copying and pasting....

Annie

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

I LOVE Ginger too, especially the crystalized kind. I eat it like candy.

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

Another ginger fan. I found a ginger candy made by The Ginger People called Gin Gins I purchase as a treat for myself occasionally. I'm not much of a candy person, but I love this stuff. I first found them at a World Market in St. Louis and that's usually where I get them when we travel through St. Louis a couple times a year.

I use fresh gingerroot to make homemade ginger ale. Lovely stuff with a real "bite" to it.

Toss a chunk of crystallized ginger into a cup of tea, or put some thin slices of fresh gingerroot into a tea ball and make a pot of ginger tea.

I will definitely be making Pomegranate Ginger Bites. What a fun combination. Thanks for recipe!

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Gin Gin Candies

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Okay, a pomegranate virgin here with a really stupid question. Are the seeds edible then, or are they for decoration? I thought people just strained the juice and pulp out of the pomegranate, and didn't eat the seeds. I know, one of these days I'm going to have to actually buy one and eat it, just to see what all the fuss is about. Oh, and do you just get the seeds from a pomegranate, or do you buy the seeds already prepared somehow? (I did say I was a virgin in this regard!)

I hate grenadine, though, so I've never thought I'd like pomegranates. Those bits sound delicious, though. I do love ginger.

Sally

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

sally2-

Check out the link below for some helpful pomegranate information.

When I was a kid I would use my allowance to buy a pomegranate, while other kids bought candy.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: eHow - How to use a pomegranate

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I love ginger, too. Last week I had a glass of ginger ale made with lots of fresh ginger. It had quite a kick but was the most delicious I've ever had.

That recipe looks tooooo good.

Sherry

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

I love ginger...........fresh ginger. I just bought some some at the Farmer's Market yesterday. The stalks and leaves are edible also. You don't even have to peel it because when you first pick it the skin is thin - like a plum. Only one drawback. It's $10 for a rather small bunch. I'm going to try growing my own next year. It takes 10-11 months and I may start some in my sunroom soon.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

"Posted by teresa_mn -------I love ginger...........fresh ginger. I just bought some some at the Farmer's Market yesterday. The stalks and leaves are edible also. -----"

Ginger flowers are edible (not all ginger flowers are). Ginger is more than just tasting good, it has many medicinal uses. Since I don't want to give medical advices, you can do you own research.

dcarch

• User
    13 years ago

Like Nan, I love freshly grated ginger, it adds such a nice sparkle to food, but powdered ginger doesn't do much for me.

Years ago I had a dinner in a restaurant in Anacortes, WA. Salmon with ginger pasta. They'd made the pasta with freshly grated ginger and I can still remember how wonderful each bite was with the taste of the fresh ginger filling my mouth.

I'll have to look into growing my own, how lovely that would be.

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Grainlady - I think The Ginger People make my favorite ginger chews from Trader Joe's. They are addictive!

Sally, pomegranates are delicious. The seeds are juicy with a little tang, but mostly I love their beautiful jewel color. Like an edible ruby!

AM

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Renee used to toss in a handful of some yummy ginger chews with my coffee order from BVC years ago. Copied and saved AM! I'll be making this soon with all of the holiday gatherings just around the corner. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

David

• maxmom96
    13 years ago

My stupid question:
    ". . . golden syrup or rice syrup" ???

I'm not sure what this is? Pancake syrup?

The recipe sounds great and I'd like to try it, but this stumped me.

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

That's not a stupid question at all...

Golden syrup is one wonderful product (in my spoon-licking opinion) and is made with cane sugar syrup, not high fructose corn syrup. It has a rich "buttery" flavor. Lyle's Golden Syrup is the brand I use, and it is commonly used in the U.K. This syrup is much thicker than plain old pancake syrup, and MUCH tastier.

Rice Syrup is made from cooked rice and isn't as sweet as other syrup products. I think it has a slightly bitter taste to it.

For more information, check the link below.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Thesaurus - Liquid Sweeteners

• maxmom96
    13 years ago

Grainlady: Thanks so much. This is something I knew nothing about, and the website was quite helpful. I doubt if Lyle's is available anywhere around here (and besides, why would I buy a whole can for just 3 Tbsp.? I don't generally make anything for myself where I would use this.)

Tomorrow I will explore the syrups aisle at the grocery store and read labels.

Thanks for once again sharing your vast knowledge.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

maxmom, if you're near a World Market, I've seen it there. If not, I'm told you can easily substitute Karo with similar (although not identical) results.

I use ginger for upset stomachs, when I was a kid Grandma gave us gingerale for stomach upsets. When I went whale watching I just chewed crystallized ginger and had no problems at all, although I do sometimes get motion sick on boats. The little girl next to me was eating it like candy too, I think she, Ashley and I were the only people on the whole boat who didn't get sick!

Yes, I remember Renee sent me Ginger Chews too...

Annie

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yep, you can certainly substitute either light or dark Karo syrup. There's so much ginger, it won't make a huge difference. Lyle's golden syrup is also the brand I use; it's delicious!

AM

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    13 years ago

"Posted by annie1992 ----I use ginger for upset stomachs, when I was a kid Grandma gave us gingerale for stomach upsets. ----------
    Annie"

For upset stomach, my mom would have one bottle of Coke, 1/2 cup of fresh chopped ginger and boil to half volume. The ginger would be discarded.

Worked like magic.

dcarch

BTW, I assume everyone knows ginger can be kept very well in the freezer.

• jojoco
    13 years ago

When I was in Bermuda a while back, I tried their famous ginger beer (when in Rome...). I couldn't drink it--had way too much bite. I did, however manage a few "dark &stormy cocktails. I have found that ginger beer sold in the states is less sharp, but much more gingery than gingerale. It was funny though, when the cashier asked for id when I purchased it.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I just made a batch of Tomato Preserves over the weekend..the recipe called for a hunk of fresh ginger... I've never even had tomato preserves before but the flavor turned out amazing.
    So much so, I'm going to make another batch today. They are very gingery and the lemon comes thru...hard to describe but it totally changes the tomato taste.

Nancy

• maxmom96
    13 years ago

Annie: LOL! When I was a kid and sick in bed, my mom would give me gingerale, so my conditioned response now to gingerale is to get sick! But I love any other kind of ginger, and make those wonderful ginger snaps and put crystalized ginger in them.

Another stomach remedy my mom would give me at first onset was Syrup of Pepsin. Bet they don't sell that anymore, but it tasted good to me then. I would hope that the Syrup of Pepsin would cure me so that I wouldn't have to drink gingerale! She also liked peppermint for an upset stomach and would carry a little bottle of it around and mix it in water and make me drink it. Ugh! I don't like peppermint now either!

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Grainlady, thanks for the link, but it didn't work. However, I will do a search for just that topic when I have more time. Maxmom, thanks for asking that question, too, about the syrup. I didn't even notice it in the ingredients.

Sally

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

Ginger's okay. I prefer Mary Ann.

• TobyT
    13 years ago

Count me in as a ginger lover. When I was young, my Dad used to make ginger toast for me. Same as cinnamon toast, but with powdered ginger instead of cinnamon - I loved it! If you are a fan of candied ginger, and you ever find yourself in Canada, get thee to a Purdy's Chocolate shop and get some dark chocolate covered ginger.(They make milk chocoalte too, but dark is my choice.) Purdy's chocolate is smooth and creamy and coupled with the ginger...oh my. I can (and have) eaten an entire box without sharing.
    J

Here is a link that might be useful: Purdy's

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

:) @ Arley!!!

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Arley, my brother always preferred Mary Ann too, I was just too busy wondering why the Professor was so smart he could make a nuclear reactor from a coconut but couldn't get 'em off the island, LOL.

maxmom, fortunately, I love gingerale. (grin) But lacking that, Grandma also gave us baking soda stirred into hot water, now THAT was nasty!

Jane, thanks for that link, I love ginger, I love dark chocolate, how could it be anything but superb?

Annie

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

Here you go Sally, how to take the seeds out (below). Yes, you eat the seeds. The little red jewels can be eaten without eating the seed. Removing the flesh would be impossible! Besides, the seed isn't hard and crunch is part of its appeal. remove the space though. Sheesh! No one is selling anything Big Brother!

http: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfQ3_N7S6Y

• arley_gw
    13 years ago

Arabella and Annie:

From Wikipedia:

The question of which one men prefer, and to a lesser extent, who women view themselves to be more like, has endured long after the end of the series.[19][20] It has inspired videos, essays,[21] a 1993 Budweiser beer commercial,[22] and even the occasional sermon.[23] By most accounts, the wholesome, low-maintenance Mary Ann has consistently outpolled the glamorous but demanding Ginger since the very beginning.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

Yep, DH liked Mary Ann the best, too.

Thanks, Rob, I'll check out that video when I get to work. You-tube and other videos don't work on my computer.

It was 7-Up or Sprite at my house for upset stomachs, and yes, I hate them both to this day.

I could definitely go for chocolate covered ginger.

Sally

• sewhappy2
    13 years ago

For all of you ginger lovers - if you ever get a chance to drink Vernor's Ginger Ale give it a try. I grew up in Michigan where Vernor's was the standard and I love it - since moving to areas where it's not available, other ginger ale tastes like dishwater to me. Vernor's is very gingery - and has so much 'sparkle' that it tickles your nose. YUM.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I love ginger! I recently drank some ginger-ale and it cured my upset stomach. That was the first time I've tried it for a stomach upset.
    As for Mary Ann over Ginger - I read that Ginger acted and was much to same in real life as she was in that program.

• compumom
    13 years ago

Ginger is a staple in our household. DH loved it as a kid and made me a convert too. See's dark chocolate covered ginger is his favorite along with Buderim ginger from Australia.
    Just last week, on a trip to Portland, we stopped into the Spice & Tea Exchange store where I bought ginger sugar. It was delish on this morning's grapefruit!

We also bought raspberry sugar (****), maple sugar,(***) alderwood salt( great on last night's grilled salmon), hickory salt, a spice blend to use for dips and chocolate salt--sadly a disappointment =( .

• Virginia7074
    13 years ago

Another ginger lover here. If you've never had a ginger martini, they are fabulous. DH makes this recipe from Food Network a lot and I think the best part of it is the pulp. Basically, you're cooking together ginger, lemon, sugar and water and then straining it to make ginger syrup. After I strain it, I always save the pulp to add to cookies, cakes, muffins, whatever. In fact, even if I didn't like the ginger martinis, I might still make the syrup so that I could have the leftover pulp. I've even frozen it in ice cube trays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Martinis

• maxmom96
    13 years ago

Question for Arabellamiller:

I made these a few weeks ago and LOVED them, as did my family. However I did find that the glaze was not stiff enough to stay on the top once they were cut.

What would you do? Increase the powdered sugar? Don't want it too sweet. Decrease the butter?

I'd love to make them again and use on a party tray.

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi maxmom, I'm so glad you and your family enjoyed them! Yes, I guess you could put in more powdered sugar. I've found that they cut much more neatly if you can let them sit a day first. My other suggestion is to cut them in bite sized pieces so that they aren't quite as messy to eat - just pop one in you mouth!

Hope that helps.

AM

• maxmom96
    13 years ago

Thanks AM

I'll try letting them sit a day or two before eating. (But that's so hard to do!) Hate to put in more sugar as I wouldn't want the glaze any sweeter.

Nancy

• partst
    13 years ago

I picked up a bottle of gingerbread liqueur at the market this week it was with all the Christmas stuff. I have never seen it before but DH said to get a few more on my next trip to town. ItâÂÂs like a ginger cookie in a glass.

• Lars
    13 years ago

I absolutely love ginger, but I wasn't able to post to this before. I also love ginger flowers and have several types of ginger in my yard now. The blue ginger is blooming right now (see link below), but I also have red and white gingers, none of which are edible, but some of the flowers have very nice fragrances that are quite unique.

As for edible ginger, I keep a jar of ginger paste (from an Indian market) that I use in soups, marinades, and stir fries, but not desserts. For desserts, I use ginger that I keep in the freezer. I should probably grow edible ginger. I bought ginger snaps at TJ's last week-end (along with some other more decadent cookies), but I think I should have made them myself. They were good but not quite gingery enough. I don't have any dried ginger.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful:

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lars, that picture is stunning. What a pretty flower.

I'm going to look for that gingerbread liquor. That would make one fine drink!

I love gingersnaps. I have a great recipe somewhere with crystallized ginger, I'll have to look for it soon.

AM