SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Cookin' bacon

bbstx
9 years ago

I made Millionaire Bacon today (recipe below). The bacon I used was unsmoked and quite thick. I could not get it to crisp up without burning. DH, who is otherwise intelligent, thinks if bacon is not cooked to a brunt crisp, it is "raw."

The bacon had been in a 350 degree convection oven for about 20 minutes. Certainly, I cannot use my instant read thermometer to determine the internal temperature of the bacon. So, I laid the prob on the surface of the bacon. It read 185 degrees or more, on both sides. Is that a sufficient method for determining if the bacon is sufficiently cooked?

P.S. Friday night I had an Old-Fashioned made with bacon bitters. Not really a bacon flavor; just a hint of smokiness. It was deeee-lish!

From BaconToday.com:
Millionaire's Bacon
Ingredients:
1 pound of thick-cut bacon
5 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Black Pepper

Set your oven to 350 degrees

Directions:
Line a baking pan with foil. Combine all of your spices and sugar together into a bowl and mix thoroughly. If you want your bacon more coated in sweet and spicy flavor, add more ingredients to your liking. Apply liberally to each strip of bacon by taking each strip and hand rubbing them. Bake until crisp for 20- 30 minutes (depending upon your crispy liking).
Another P.S. - I cut the peppers in half. The full amount of cayenne and black pepper is too spicy for our tastes.

Comments (6)