Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I roast regular, beefsteak tomatoes?

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 18:29

I usually buy a 1/2 bushel of roma tomatoes and one thing that I do is make roasted tomato soup. They're cut in half and roasted with olive oil. Then emulsified into soup.

I've got a number of beefsteak tomatoes ripening in the garden, can I roast these for the soup instead of buying romas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I roast regular, beefsteak tomatoes?

Sure. Personally I don't care for the taste of many paste types so I use beefsteak or cherry tomatoes for everything.

IMHO, a good beefsteak makes a much better tasting soup than any paste I've ever tried.

o

I tested both. I thought that the romas turned out better. I was surprised because when eaten fresh it is rare to find a tasty roma in our neck of the woods. I do roast beefsteak tomatoes and they turn out just fine. With both kinds of tomatoes I remove the seeds and juicy pulp before roasting. I save the juice, cook it down, strain it then add to my cooking.

We love roasted tomatoes. We eat them as is or use them in soup, with pasta, on pizza, in sandwiches or on french bread with basil and fresh mozzarella.

Do you have a good tomato soup recipe to share?

o

We love Ina's Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice
4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 quart chicken stock or water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.

In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade. Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ina's Roasted Tomato Soup

o

Thanks jasdip. I like so many of Ina's recipes that I will give this one a try, too. In fact, I watched one of her shows when she roasted tomatoes and haven't stopped roasting since.

o

You can cut the top of the tomato off, scoop out the inside, fill with yummy stuff, top with bread crumbs and cheese, and roast - makes a pretty package.

o

I love a stuffed tomato. I like a bit of sausage meat to which I add some cheese, garlic, herbs and a few breadcrumbs. Yummy.

o

"----You can cut the top of the tomato off, scoop out the inside, fill with yummy stuff,-----"

There are tomato varieties which are hollow inside for stuffing. There are many places you can buy seeds and grow your own.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffing tomatoes

o

This is another way I roast my tomatoes.

Tomatoes are about 95% water. They get soggy when cooked.

I often slice them thick and put them in the dehydrator for a few hours first before I roast them.

This intensifies the flavor and the sugar gets caramelized better.

dcarch

o

I stuffed 2 tomatoes to have with our burgers tonite. Stuffed with rice and leftover veggies and cheese. We loved them!

We use an indoor flat grill/griddle out on the balcony and do a lot of our grilling on that. We did the burgers, and the tomatoes (in a foil pie plate). Covered with another foil dish, and they were wonderful.

I'm going to try roasting them for tomato soup when I have more ripe at the same time.

o

I roast all varieties. That may have to happen tomorrow night...so many ripening at once. I quarter them, or cut again if large to get a golf ball size. Lay on a parchment lined 1/2 sheet pan with a bit of onion chunks and garlic cloves. The smaller cherry, grape, and pear tomatoes i just cut in half and lay on a second tray. Slow roast at about 275 for an hour, checking to get about a half concentrated roasting. Taking the smaller toms out earlier...

I lay them flesh side up and don't bother seeding or skinning. (all that good flavor down the drain?)...
Cool, then food saver in approximate pint salsa sizes for winter soups and salsas and noodle sauces, chowders. I spice them up on the day at the time with fresh cilantro, vinegars, etc.
The basic frozen roasted batch is just a great starting point all winter...
We do pick up a couple bushels from our local farm stand eventually and do the dip in hot water to skin and freeze whole and make a big harvest lasagna...just hard to resist at 5 bucks a bushel...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here