Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do egg whites go bad?

Posted by althetrainer (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 18:18

I was making myself an egg-white omelette this morning but after eating I got busy and forgot to put the carton of egg whites back in the fridge. When I remembered it was a few hours later. I looked inside the carton it looked fine and there's no smell. Do egg whites go bad in room temperature? How do I know if it's bad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do egg whites go bad?

Yep they do....but in 3 or 4 hours at not 90 degree temp you likely are fine.
Egg whites will smell...and maybe get watery or thick if they haven't been covered well.

o

Thanks Linda! Today was a hot day but don't think it was up to 90F in the house. So far the egg whites look fine and smell fine. I will check it again tomorrow before using it. If it doesn't smell or look right, it will go right into the garbage.

o

I agree, they're fine. Even opened and on the counter they aren't going to spoil in that amount of time.

Of course, the food police are going to disagree, they say only 2-4 days refrigerated and they have to go.

Now, are these fresh egg whites or those "egg beater" kind of things? I only know about fresh eggs, I never touch the other stuff, it very well could be treated in some way that preserves it for longer periods of time.

Annie

o

Annie, it's the egg whites from a carton. Just checked it again and it looked fine. You're probably right about the egg whites being treated. Think I am going to give it a try tomorrow morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here