SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Daughter's Kitchen

John Liu
9 years ago

Here is a photo of daughters "kitchen" in her dorm room.

She has a multicooker, electric kettle, small refrigerator, big cutting board, knives and utensils. She packed strainer, stainless mixing bowls, spices, hot and soy sauce, salt and pepper. At the grocery store she stocked up on yogurt, fruit, cheese, and so on. Microwaves are not permitted in the room, but there is one in the lounge. She has a bathroom in her room so there is a sink and water.

The dorm's dining hall is excellent, and there are other dining halls on campus with other food choices. However , meal plans have changed since I was in school. Back then there was a steam table and trays, you could eat as much as you wanted at every meal and of course we didn't care about healthy eating. Now meal plans are a certain number of "points" per term, and different dishes cost 1 to 6 points. Daughter has figured out that her meal plan will provide 2 meals/day so she is making her own breakfasts. She is on a low-carb kick and that complicates things. Plus she just enjoys cooking and has become good at it. So she is enjoying making food in her little kitchen.

I'm informed that today she is making chicken stock in the multicooker, then she will slow cook some chicken breasts in it, and slice that up for salads.

Her room is a single, the RA is at the other end of the hall, so she can get away will all of this. Anyway everything she has there is permitted, except the chefs knife (because the blade is >3").

Her first week has been all "orientation" and getting settled. About six of her friends from high school and summer camp also went to the school, and she has met several more people whom she likes. Her friend from camp is 21 y/o; daughter informs me that girl is her alcohol "connection". Another girl is a chemistry major; daughter says that girl can help with her chem class. And so on. Some guys on the fourth floor have the party room, disco ball and killer sound system. She is going to join the Outdoor Club for hikes and kayak trips. There is a bike coop on campus; they are going to show her how to get around town on her bike.

It is fun to listen to her recounting what she's doing and thinking. I hear cocoons opening and wings spreading.

Her little brother misses her. They're talking about him going to visit some weekend in the next month. He'll take the Bolt Bus, it is a 2 hour trip and cost $12, and she brought a sleeping bag and mattress pad for him.

I'm not young anymore and I sit down in front of computer monitors every morning at 5:30 am. But I'm having a good time watching my kids enjoy their youth.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations