Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Induction is new to me and I feel stupid

Posted by Patspads (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 17:15

I didn't know the cooktop was an induction when we moved in. I bought magnetic pots, but still can't get the "burner" to stay on. I know it must be something easy...Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Induction is new to me and I feel stupid

Have you tried different size pots?

dcarch

o

I have induction. Are you sure you are not lifting the pan once you've placed it on a hob? If you have, that might trip the hob.

/tricia

o

Thank you triciae and dcarch; I think the pots I got might not be strong enough. I put water in them & centered them on the closest fitting circle, but still it kept going off. I took out my cast iron skillet and it worked perfectly. Maybe I need pots with a stronger magnetic pull?

o

Some induction cook tops can sense the correct size pots as well as correct metals to operate.

dcarch

o

Sounds like you solved your problem. Perhaps the pots you bought weren't really induction compatible. When I buy new pans for my induction stove top I just test them with the magnetized clasp on my purse. It's not the strongest magnet, but if it sticks to the pan, I know the pot will work on my stove top.

What is the brand of your cook top? And what brand of cookware did you buy? This is really an intriguing dilemma. I've found that you definitely have to test stainless steel cookware, though. Sometimes the magnet won't stick.

o

I, too, have induction and the magnet test is not perfect. The magnet is the first clue and then I rely on the manufacturer's label and advertising to determine compatibility. Even so, I had one pot from TJ Marshall's claiming to be induction capable, which did not work. Magnet test has been flawed for me.

I have an assortment of pots and pans, from expensive to way not expensive which all work well on my cooktop.

o

Could this be some sort of timer issue?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here