SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Embracing the Bundt Cake!

claire_de_luna
13 years ago

After having so much success with Beth's Sour Cream Lemon Cake, I've decided to embrace the Bundt cake and see if I can find other recipes I can do well with. (Odd, isn't it, to have had so much trouble with these? My MIL makes them all the time, but I've never known her to make a layer cake.) I finally realized I was using the wrong release agent, and now...Success! Anyway, I'm loving the simplicity of these, the fact they stay moist and are easy to glaze. It also seemed a shame I've had these pans forever and wasn't using them. No longer!

I just found a Bundt version of my favorite Chocolate Cinnamon cake, so I tried that this afternoon. Now I'm collecting recipes. Do any of you have any favorites you'd like to share? Here's the one I made this afternoon:

Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 c. water

1/2 c. vegetable oil

1 stick (1/2 c.) butter

1/4 c plus 1 T. (or 5 T.) cocoa

2 c. all-purpose flour

2 c. sugar

1/2 t. salt

1 1/2 t. cinnamon

1/2 c. buttermilk

1 t. baking soda

2 eggs

1 t. vanilla

Bring to a boil in a pot: Water, oil, butter and cocoa.

In a large bowl, combine together with a whisk: flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon.

Add the chocolate mixture to the flour and mix until combined.

Add the buttermilk and baking soda and mix.

In a small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla. Add to the batter and combine.

Pour batter into greased 10 or 12-cup Bundt pan and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.

Top with a dusting of powdered sugar or a simple glaze.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sour Cream Lemon Glazed Bundt

Comments (49)

• anoriginal
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not on recipe but on equipment. Had a non-stick bundt pan that was very unpredictable. Made a few tastey but not terribly pretty cakes with ti. Then I found an "old" bundt pan (and later a second) at a yard sale or thrift shop. Have NO idea what the metal is. Kinda heavy and silvery looking. Both made in Germany. One a Dr. Oetker. A spritz of pam and NOTHING stick in them! And they're NOT in totally pristine condition??

Have a yellow Jello cake recipe from former home ec teacher and former co-worker that's always a hit.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, that is what I'm using. Mine are the original heavy aluminum version. No non-stick here, but also no trendy colors or fancy finishes. I'm certain I picked these up thrift shopping years ago (I won't tell you how long I've owned them myself) and have never been quite ready to give them up. Now I know why!

• Related Discussions

Getting cake out of bundt pan in one piece.

Q

Comments (16)
    linea56 - The URL here has answers to the question of getting rid of highlighted or underlined text, depending on what browser you are using. About crevices in fancy bundt pans - I bought small/medium new artist's brushes (natural hair round ones work best), sterilized them and marked them "for food use only". It makes quick work of spreading the spray, butter, shortening, or homemade Pam and you won't get the "too much oil" problem that makes bubbles. Other sizes I use in the kitchen include a 1" wide one that looks like a paint brush for watering down the insides of pans when I make candy, jam, or something that should not have stray undissolved sugar clinging there since it might cause the food to recrystallize after cooking to high temp. Lots cheaper and better made than those sold exclusively for food prep. Tan natural bristles are best, IMO, because they can be sterilized, while nylon or poly brushes do not last long on really hot pans. Craft stores run discounts on artist's brushes every month it seems, so stock up when you see an ad. Nancy Here is a link that might be useful: Removing underlined text on pages
    ...See More

Looking for a heavy lemon bundt cake recipe

Q

Comments (12)
    I am not a fan of the poppyseed versions of lemon cakes. I remember they were really popular years ago. I much prefer a really "lemony" cake with a dense texture. If that is what you are hoping to achieve, here are a couple more that may be worth considering. Lemon Yogurt Cake 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home, All Rights Reserved Ingredients 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided 3 extra-large eggs 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons) 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice For the glaze: 1 cup confectioners' sugar 1/3 c confectioners sugar 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 1/3 c lemon juice Directions Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool. For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake. Glazed Lemon Sour Cream Cake Posted by Beth4 04/10 From The California Cook cookbook Serves 8-10 Note this cake may be prepared up to 3 days in advance, and kept at room temperature, tightly covered. The cake can also be wrapped tightly in aluminum foil and frozen for up to 2 months. Serve with seasonal berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Ingredients: 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature 1 cup sugar 3 large eggs at room temperature 1 Tablespoon minced lemon zest 2 teaspoons lemon extract 1 cup sour cream Glaze: 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar 1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice 2 teaspoons finely chopped lemon zest Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch lightweight Bundt pan. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside. 2. In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, zest, and lemon extract and mix for 2 minutes. 3. Reduce the mixer to the lowest speed, add half the flour mixture, and mix until well combined. Add half the sour cream, mixing constantly, and then add the rest of the flour and sour cream, ending with the sour cream. Pour the mixture into the prepared Bundt pan, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a cake rack. Make the glaze. 5. Using a wire strainer, sift the powdered sugar into a small non-aluminum bowl. Add the juice and lemon zest, and whisk to break up any clumps. 6. Place the cake on a wax paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. Using a long skewer, poke holes in the cake almost going through the bottom at 1-inch intervals. Slowly pour the glaze over the cake, making sure it�s absorbed as you pour. Let the cake come to room temperature. Linda
    ...See More

Two cake questions: inclusions in batter and bundt

Q

Comments (5)
    Oh, that would have been good! I saw this after mixing the cake, though. It's in the oven now. The strawberries were very unripe: I used the less ripe ones to chop and put in the batter, but it sure won't be getting much flavor from those. I have never paid so much for such anemic berries. I saved the best ones to slice up. She won't get here til after 10 pm, I'm guessing we will serve the cake tomorrow, when more pople will be home. At this point, I will be happy if I can get it out of the pan in one piece. I had forgotten that my pan is not a typical bundt shape, but a very fluted design. Pretty pan but a devil to unmold. Here is a link that might be useful: bavarian bundt pan
    ...See More

One bundt pan 2 cakes

Q

Comments (2)
    If the batter is mixed up and is enough for two cakes at once, you really MUST make and bake immediately due to the type of chemical leavening. Once the leavening ingredients (soda, baking powder) have been activated with the liquid ingredients, they need to be baked immediately for the best results. That's why ovens need to be preheated - you never want any type of recipe that is leavened with chemical leavening waiting for the oven to heat. The leavening is activated twice, once when it's mixed with the liquid, and the second time when it hits the heat from the oven. You won't want half the batter to wait in the bowl while one cake finishes baking or the "umph" from the leavening ingredients will diminish and the cakes will be different sizes. Secondary point: If it's important for the cakes to be very close to the same size, it would be important to have two identical pans and to weigh the batter in both pans when you fill them to assure they have the same amount of batter in both. This will also help them to bake evenly at the same time in the oven. Last point: If you can mix the batter for each cake separately, then it wouldn't matter. Just make the first cake and place it to cool on a rack. Wait for the pan to cool, wash and dry thoroughly, and make and bake the second cake. -Grainlady
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I keep mine in the original blue box! Wonder what that would fetch on ebay? Not that I'm going to sell it. I think I got mine back in the 70s.

Teresa

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

The creator of the bundt pan here is the US was David Dalquist of Edina, Minnesota. He was one of two men that owned Nordic Ware. The design was created in 1950. Before I moved to my current home, I lived 1/2 mile from the Nordic Ware outlet warehouse. They sold the ones that were not perfect - maybe had a scratch or something. I had several of their decorative pans; a castle among other things.

The outlet was also 1/2 mile from the Jewish Community Center. The story goes that the ladies of a Minnesota chapter of Hadassah, the Jewish volunteer organization, sensed the need and went to the Dalquists at Nordic Ware with a request: Please replicate this old ceramic dish that somebody's grandmother had kept for years and years to bake a dessert called kugelhopf.

Dalquist and company made a newfangled kugelhopf pan out of aluminum. Hadassah was delighted, and Dalquist called it a "bund." The German word bund loosely means "a gathering of people," and that seemed like a good name, if not for the Bund, a German American group in the 1930s that was pro-Hitler. So Dalquist added a "t" on the end of the word: Bundt. One of the ladies was a Holocaust survivor pointed this out to him. We had a huge population of Holocaust survivors at one time in St. Louis Park - also known as St. Jewish Park. Quite a few lived in my condo complex. I was really thin when I was younger and those cute Jewish Grandma's were always trying to fatten me up!

Once I came home from working a 12-day international trip with the worst cold. As I was walking to my building I was hacking up a storm. Later that day 3 Jewish Grandma's showed up at seperate times with chicken soup claiming it would cure anything I had! :-) I sure miss those cute ladies!

sorry - rambling......and I am going to use my bundt pan this weekend - maybe something with pumpkin!

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is it weird to ask if there is such a thing as a savory recipe for these?

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

I've used mine for meatloaf, garlic monkey bread, pot pies, pannekoeken and "perfection salad." For those of you that don't know what that is it consists of:
    Knox plain gelatin
    lemon juice and vinegar
    shredded cabbage, carrots, scallions and peppers

It's tart and really crunchy. Very popular during the Depression and my Mom made it alot when I was a kid.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Good old Perfection Salad! My dear MIL made that a lot and I loved it. Not that I am old enough to have gone through the Depression, mind you. But that was her favorite congealed salad. I think I might have made it myself a time or two.

Teresa

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

I'm not that old either! My mom was born in 1928 and had it alot as a child.

I made it several times this summer because it was soooo hot and humid. Some recipes call for a little sugar, but I like it tart!

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Here are two that are similar to ones I've made. Can't find my original recipes. By the way, I called the second one Decadent Chocolate Amaretto Bundt Cake. Made it for my aunt's 91st birthday, she loved Amaretto. Anyway, we put it in her little fridge at the nursing home and I told her she could share it with the staff there. This gentle woman who was not impaired mentally said, "No way! That's my cake and I'm going to eat every bit of it". And she did.

PISTACHIO BUNDT CAKE

1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix
    4 eggs
    1 c. orange juice
    1/2 c. oil
    1 box Royal instant pistachio pudding

Mix above ingredients on low speed for one minute, then on higher speed for 3 minutes until well blended. Pour 2/3 of batter in well greased and floured bundt pan. Add 3/4 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup to remaining batter. Mix well and pour over other batter. With knife cut through both batters for marbling. Bake one hour in 350 degree oven. Cool right side up for 25 minutes, then remove from pan. Frost if desired.

DARK CHOCOLATE AMARETTO BUNDT CAKE

Ingredients
    1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix with pudding
    1 (5.9-ounce) package chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
    1 1/4 cups water
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon almond extract
    4 large eggs
    3 cups semisweet chocolate morsels, divided
    1/2 cup amaretto-flavored liquid non-dairy creamer
    3 tablespoons sliced natural almonds, toasted
    Preparation
    Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups chocolate morsels. Pour batter into a greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan.

Bake at 350� for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.

Combine remaining 1 cup chocolate morsels and amaretto-flavored creamer in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate morsels melt. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Drizzle chocolate glaze over cake; sprinkle with almonds.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I have a pampered chef bundt "stone" pan. In fact I have it ready to go back in the box it came in as, I used it yesterday to make...Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake It was half gone by 10pm and they came in at 8pm.

• kayskats
    13 years ago

My bundt is cast aluminum and I use shortening and flour and it always turns out.

My very favorite bundt recipe is from Gourmet Magazine's January 08 issue which highlighted southern booking

PECAN-FIG-BOURBON BUNDT CAKE
    Makes 12 servings

1 lb dried Black Mission figs, hard tips discarded
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    3 cups cake flour, sifted before measuring
    2 tsps baking powder
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
    1 3/4 cups pecans, 7 oz
    2 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs, at room temp 30 minutes

Simmer figs in water in a heavy medium saucepan, covered, until tender and most of liquid absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes. Pur�e in a food processor with bourbon and vanilla. Cool to warm temp.
    Preheat oven to 350� with rack in middle. Butter and flour bundt pan, knocking out excess flour.
    While oven preheats, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
    Lightly toast pecans in a shallow baking pan in oven, 8 to 10 minutes, then cool and coarsely chop. Leave oven on.
    Beat together brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy, about 3 minutes. Stir in fig mixture. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just incorporated, then fold in pecans.
    Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool cake completely in pan on a rack, then invert onto a plate.

NOTE: Cake improves in flavor if made at least one day ahead. Can be made 5 days in advance and kept in an airtight container at room temp.

OPTIONAL ICING. Suft 1 cup confectioners sugar into a bowl and then whisk in 4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream, 2 teaspoons bourbon and 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract until smooth. Drizzle over cake just before serving.
    ICING ALTERNATIVE: Sift confections sugar over cake just before serving.

Also a favorite from Southern Living a few years earlier. I make it at Christmas and it reminds me of Mother's Orange Date Nut Cake, even though she soaked it with an OJ mix ... certainly not a drop of alcohol

BUTTERED RUM BUNDT CAKE

Makes 12 servings

1 1/2 cups butter softened
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 egg yolk
    2 tsps vanilla extract
    2 tbsps grated lemon rind
    1/2 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup banana liqueur *
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsps baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 cup whipping cream
    RUM SYRUP
    10 tbsps butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup banana liqueur

Butter and flour bundt pan

Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg yolk and vanilla, beating until blended. Add lemon rind, beating until blended. Gradually add rum and liqueur, beating untill blended. (Batter will be curdled).

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to batter alternately with whipping cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed only until just blended after each addition. Pour batter into Bundt pan.

Bake at 350�F for 55 to 60 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes.

About 15 to 20 minutes before the cake is done, make the Rum Syrup: Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high meat; stir in sugar, rum and liqueur. Bring to a boil, stirring often; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes

Pierce cake multiple times using a metal or wooden skewer. Pour Rum Syrup evenly over the cake and let stand 45 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely, inverted on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, is desired.

Note: *orange or vanilla liqueur may be substituted.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

This is an easy but delicious and light cake recipe. Always well received!

Apricot Nectar Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup apricot nectar
    4 eggs

Glaze
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
    2. Combine cake mix with sugar, cooking oil, and apricot nectar. Beat for two minutes with mixer. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Pour batter into pan.
    3. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a plate.
    4. In a small bowl, mix lemon juice with confectioners' sugar until you reach desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over sides of warm cake.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

I've made quite a few kinds of cakes in bundt pans. I like pound cakes in bundt pans. I've had good luck with just shortning and flour too but now, that home made pam stuff is excellent. Really cheap to make and keeps for a long time. I just use a pastry brush [mine are all silicone these days, no hairs to leave] and brush it on. There is a chocolate version too if you want to use that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better than Pam coating

• diinohio
    13 years ago

clair de luna- what release agent do you use?

Di

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Teresa, I have a slightly different recipe for Apricot Nectar cake, always receive raves for those. Around here though, apricot nectar is not to be found! Actually, DH makes the cake. I've been trying to convince him to try a different flavor nectar, peach maybe, but he is just not convinced. I guess I'll have to make the cake myself :)

• caliloo
    13 years ago

This is a recipe I found in Gourmet magazine back in the early 80's. I was house sitting for my parents friends who and were subscribers and had lots of issues sitting around. It is the first time I had ever made a Bundt and it is still a favorite after all these years.

Alexa

Apricot Brandy Pound Cake

1 cup sweet butter
    3 cups sugar
    6 large eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    � cup apricot brandy
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp orange extract
    1 tsp rum extract
    3 cups sifted all purpose flour
    � tsp salt
    � tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition. Add extracts and apricot brandy. Add Sour cream mix well.

Combine dry ingredients. Mix into the wet ingredients until completely combined.

Pour into a bundt ring, bake 1 hour @ 325 degrees. Cool 1 hour in the pan.

This can be served as is or glazed with the following:

Glaze:

1 Tbsp Apricot brandy
    1 cup powedered sugar (or more)

Mix together until desired glaze consistency.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

I have the Nordic Ware bundt pans,
    In several different shapes.
    I love them all.

Walmart had several Nordic Ware pans the other day, in different fall themes.
    It was SO hard to pass them by.
    But as I no longer bake for the public,
    I have no need for any more pans.

I do have one pumpkin bundt type pan.
    I always sold a lot of cakes baked in that pan from this recipe.
    Sorry, I don't remember where I got the recipe, I've had it a long time.

Pumpkin Spice Pound Cake

2 1/2 C sugar
    1 C vegetable oil
    3 eggs
    3 C flour (I use AP)
    2 tsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp ground Cinnamon*
    1 tsp ground Nutmeg*
    1/4 tsp ground Cloves*
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 can (15 oz) solid pack Pumpkin

Blend sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
    Combine dry ingredients.
    Add to egg mixture alternately with pumpkin,
    Beating well after each addition.
    Bake in a greased and floured 12 C Bundt pan at 350 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
    Cool for 10 minutes before inverting on wire rack.
    Remmove pan and cool completely.

Can be left as is, dusted with confectioner's sugar, or glazed with a simple glaze.

* Spices can easily be adjusted to suit individual tastes.
    It's all good!

Rusty

• lindac
    13 years ago

Alexa, I got a funny thing for the apricot brandy and the salt and BP measurements....
    Can you clarify? I have copied but not yet pasted it!!
    Linda C

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks bundt cakes are usual dry? And even look dry???

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Wow - that is odd

Should be 1/2 cup Apricot Brandy, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp powder

Hope that helps - it is excellent and very moist

Alexa

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

ngraham, try the Hispanic markets in your area if you have any - they usually have the nectar in many flavors. When I first tried that recipe years ago, it was difficult to find the apricot nectar - now with such a large Hispanic population in NC, not a problem at all!

stir fryi, I have not found the Bundt cakes to be overly dry, but because aluminum is such a good heat conductor, I would suspect too long a baking time was the culprit of a too dry Bundt cake.

That Apricot Brandy cake is calling my name, Alexa!

Teresa

• Rusty
    13 years ago

"Am I the only one who thinks bundt cakes are usual dry? And even look dry???"

It depends on the recipe, but usually dryness is caused by not baking properly. Translate: over baked.
    Also, a lot of Bundt cake recipes are pretty much pound cakes.
    They have a different texture and 'crumb' than other cakes.

My experience is that when trying a new recipe, watch the baking closely.

Ovens can vary a lot.
    Times and temps aren't always true to what was written in the recipe.

Rusty

• nicoletouk
    13 years ago

I can't believe no one has said it yet, so I will.

"There is a HOLE in this cake!"

And of course, there is my favorite line (upon seeing the bundt cake with a potted flower in the middle)... "You fixed it!"

(Does anyone even know what I'm talking about??)

Here is a tip for releasing cakes from bundt pans...

Oil the pan well. Just before removing the cake from the oven, place a folded up bath towel in the sink and saturate it with the hottest water you can run from the tap. Immediately upon removing the cake, place it on the towel and let it sit for 15 seconds (you should hear hissing and see steam). Flip the cake out onto a cooling rack, it should slide out easily.

I have used this method for years and never had a problem.

Nicole

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Look what happens when you go away and come back again...

teresa nc7, I'll bet your pan/box would fetch a premium! Your recipe sounds good; I'm saving it! Apricot nectar sounds like a great cake for summer/fall.

teresa mn, I've never heard of perfection salad. I'll have to ask my MIL, since she is the queen of gelatin salads. It sounds interesting. Care to post the recipe?

coconut nj, Thanks for reposting the Better Than Pam recipe. To answer Di's question, I bought a can of Bakers Joy to experiment with so I've simply been using it up. It works really well, but I'll be trying the BTP recipe when it's all done. I have used the trick of coating the pan with sugar, which helps make a crunchy crust.

ngraham, do you feel like sharing your recipe as well? I'd love to have it too.

alexa, that recipe is right up my alley. Thanks! (And thank you too for the clarification on the recipe.) It's on my list to try soon.

rusty, that sounds perfect for fall. I want to make a pumpkin something soon, so your recipe is going on my ''short'' list to try as well.

bcskye, Thanks for those recipes. Copied and Pasted! They both sound delicious.

terri pacnw, Thank you too for your Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake recipe. I love the idea of a coffeecake version.

kayskats, Ah...I love a good recipe with alcohol! Thanks for sharing; I'll be adding those to the collection.

stir fryi, I'm with Rusty on that. It's so easy to overbake a cake, I find most people usually do. They don't seem to realize a few moist crumbs is ideal, rather than waiting until a cake tests totally dry, as the cake continue to bake. Most bundt cakes I've tasted are usually very moist if they're not overbaked. The last recipe I baked stated 25 minutes, but I had to bake for 35, as the cake was still liquid. It also helps to bake the cake in the middle of the oven so the top/bottom doesn't dry out first. (A lot of recipes don't specify that.)

Nicole, good tip! I had no trouble with my last recipe, which I turned out after letting it cool for 15 minutes in the pan. When I used to use my regular butter then flour, I would often have trouble with that.

By the way, that Chocolate Cinnamon recipe I tried most recently is a Keeper! It turned out very moist. I found out something about my DH after 30 years of being married to the man...he actually prefers bundt cake! (He's not a big frosting/icing fan.) Who KNEW?!! It looks like I'm spending my fall making bundts!

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Claire - this recipe is the closest to the one I make. I sub red or green peppers for the pimento and I also add shredded carrots. I use seasoned rice vinegar and I also SKIP the sugar - but it's pretty tart!

MOM'S PERFECTION SALAD

1 env. unflavored gelatin
    1/2 c. cold water
    1/2 c. vinegar
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 c. shredded cabbage
    2 c. chopped celery
    2 pimento, cut
    1 green pepper, cut
    2 c. boiling water
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. salt

Soak gelatin in cold water. Add boiling water. When dissolved, add seasonings, vinegar and lemon juice. Let stand in refrigerator until begins to set. Then add all other ingredients. Let cold water stand in mold before adding gelatin. Makes removal from molds easier.

I've sub'd V-8 juice for some of the water and that was REALLY tasty. Most often my veggie choices are cabbage, shredded carrots, sweet peppers, and some type of mild onion. And I add lot more veggies. I keep adding them in until I think I'm at the point where it won't jell. When it is really hot this salad is cold, crunchy, tart with a touch of saltiness. And totally no calories if you leave out the sugar.

If you google it you will find lots of recipes using lemon or lime jello, pineapple and all sorts of things.

The recipe above is from a book that's over 100 years old -I think it was before flavored jello came along

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teresa, Thanks for sharing that. I'll enjoy running this by my MIL to see if she's familiar with it.

• arabellamiller
    13 years ago

Nicole - My Big Fat Greek Wedding! Very funny movie, I had almost forgotten that part.

My mom was a big Hadassah lady, so yes, the Bundt cake was very popular in our house. I think she made sweet kugels in them too.

AM

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Apricot Nectar cake
    1 box Duncan Hines butter cake mix plus ingredients required to make cake
    1 stick melted butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup apricot nectar to replace water required for box recipe
    Mix all together & bake in prepared bundt pan at 325 for about 40 minutes, depending on your oven. Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes in pan, then spoon the glaze over cake while still in the pan. Let the cake sit in the pan til cool. I often leave it overnight.
    Glaze: warm in microwave 1 3/4 cup confectioners sugar and remaining nectar.

I have a good pan, if you don't, the cake might tend to stick if left overnight in the pan. Make sure to spray it well & shake the cake loose from the pan before turning it out. If you don't like an exceptionally moist cake, don't use all the glaze. I like it a little less wet myself, but everyone else prefers it with the whole amount & scrape up the bottom of the cake where it really settles.

• pat_t
    13 years ago

LOL @ Nicole... I can't hear the word bundt without immediately thinking of that movie.

I have several recipes to share:

DARK CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE

1/2 cup plus 2 Tblsp. Cocoa powder
    8 oz. semisweet chocolate
    2 cups flour
    1-1/2 tsp. Baking powder
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    2 sticks butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1-1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
    1 cup milk
    GLAZE:
    3/4 confectioners' sugar
    1 Tblsp. Milk

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan and dust with the 2 Tblsp. Cocoa powder.
    Make the cake: Melt chocolate and set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the flour, remaining 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
    In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the vanilla. Add melted chocolate and beat until blended.
    Alternating between the two, gradually add the dry ingredients and the milk, beating just until blended; do not overbeat.
    Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Rap the pan once or twice on the counter to remove any air pockets. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when touched, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and dry.
    Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, make the glaze: In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth and pourable.
    Turn the cake out onto a serving dish, rounded-side up, and drizzle the glaze over the top.
    Yield: one 10-inch Bundt cake.

KEY LIME BUNDT CAKE
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    Grated zest of 2 key limes
    1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup key lime juice

Cream together the butter or margarine and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Separate the eggs. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, and add the key lime zest. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add these dry ingredients to the egg butter mixture, alternating with 1/2 cup key lime juice. Beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold into the batter. Pour batter into a well-greased 10-inch bundt pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350° F. or until cake tests done. Cool cake for 10 minutes in pan, and then invert onto cooling rack.
    To Make Key Lime Glaze: Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup key lime juice. Simmer over medium low heat until a light syrup forms; this should take approximately 5 minutes. Use glaze immediately. Pour over still warm cake.
    Makes one 10-inch bundt cake. This is a tangy and delicious cake.

ORANGE-SOAKED BUNDT CAKE

For the cake:
    10 oz. (2-1/4 cups) all-purpose flour; more for the pan
    2 cups sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    6 oz. (12 Tblsp.) unsalted butter, softened; more for the pan
    3/4 cup canola or other mild-flavored oil
    1-1/2 Tblsp. finely minced lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
    1 Tblsp. vanilla extract
    3/4 cup strained fresh orange juice
    5 large eggs

For the syrup & glaze:
    1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    1 Tblsp. unsalted butter, melted
    2 Tblsp. dark rum
    1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided

Heat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup Bundt pan.

To make the cake: Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and soda into the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until fine crumbs form. Change to the whisk attachment. With the machine running on medium speed, whisk in the oil, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and orange juice. Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then increase the speed to high and whisk the batter until light, about 3 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
    To make the syrup and glaze: While the cake bakes, whisk together in a small bowl the orange juice concentrate, butter, rum, and 1/2 cup of the confectioners' sugar. When the cake is done, set the pan on a rack to cool for 5 min. With a thin skewer, poke the cake all the way through to the bottom of the pan in about 100 places. Pour 1/3 cup of the syrup over the cake and let stand for 1 hour before removing the cake from the pan. (At this point you can wrap the cake in plastic and hold for up to 3 days at room temperature; in fact, the flavor only improves.) Cover the remaining syrup with plastic and store at room temperature.

When ready to serve, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar into the remaining syrup. Set the cake on a rack over a baking sheet and pour the glaze over the cake. Let stand for at least 10 min. before slicing and serving. Serves ten.

Recipe from Fine Cooking.

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BUNDT CAKE

1 box Devil's Food cake mix
    3 eggs
    1 (19 oz.) can cherry pie filling
    2 tsp. almond extract
    Mix and pour into Bundt pan and bake at 350° F. for 50-55 minutes.

VARIATIONS:
    Substitute a white cake mix and blueberry or strawberry pie filling. Or a spice cake mix and apple pie filling.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

Here's another that bakes up beautifully.
    I always do it in the Star Bundt, just 'cause I like it like that.

Brown Sugar Pound Cake

Ingredients:

2 cups brown sugar (I use dark brown)
    1 cup white sugar
    1 1/2 cups butter
    5 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup milk
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
    Mix together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
    In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy.
    Beat in the eggs one at a time,
    then stir in the vanilla.
    Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk,
    mixing just until incorporated.
    Sir in the chopped pecans.
    Pour batter into prepared pan.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
    Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
    Enjoy!

Rusty

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the extra recipes, ngraham, pat t and rusty! I'll be putting them all to good use.

AM, you're good with movie trivia! Now I think I need to see that again...Good reminder Nicole!

• nicoletouk
    13 years ago

Ding ding ding! That is the correct answer!

My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a go-to rainy day movie in our house, and the DDs love watching it when they are sick. My other favorite line... "Tell me what to say, but don't tell me what to say."

I could do this all day long...

Nicole

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

My favorite Bundt cake recipe. The candy kinda' sinks in the pan & makes the 'icing'.

Toffee Crunch Cake (smaller 9 cup size Bundt pan)

1/2 c. butter
    2 c. flour
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 c. buttermilk
    1 t. soda
    1 egg
    1 t. vanilla

4 Toffee bars (Heath bars), finely crushed *
    1/4 c. chopped pecans

Cut together (w/ a pastry cutter), the butter, flour & sugars. Set aside 1/2 c. of mixture.

To the remaining butter, flour, sugar mixture, add the buttermilk, soda, egg & vanilla. Beat well.

Pour 1/3 batter into well greased & floured Bundt pan (9 c. size). Combine reserved flour mixture w/ crushed candy & nuts. Sprinkle half of mixture over batter, alternating layers of batter & candy mixture.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

*Freeze candy bars prior to crushing.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Great treasure trove of recipes here!! I'm definitely going to try some of these.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Tunnel of Fudge cake. My mother used to make it a looooooonnnnnngggg time ago, back when it was the original recipe which used a box of icing mix. When Pillsbury quit making the icing mix in the box, they developed this version.

I have to admit I have never made it. I don't know why, either. It was pretty much my favorite cake when I was a kid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake Recipe

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ci lantro and lowspark for adding to the list! I was thinking of the Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake just yesterday. I don't recall ever having tried it though, so I guess I'll just have to make it to see why it was so popular. (Thinking back, I don't remember that my mother even owned a bundt pan!)

And...Of course, there's nothing wrong with a cake with toffee added!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Does anyone have a good recipe for a banana bundt cake? I made one once from a recipe that I got from one of my mom's cookbooks. Photo below, with chocolate icing. It looked great, but it was dry. The recipe I remember from childhood was some kind of sour cream banana bundt cake. I just can't find a T&T good one.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I copied a Dorie Greenspan recipe yesterday for one that's probably really good. (I trust her recipes.) Here it is:

The Best Banana Bundt Cake
    Dorie Greenspan

The recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's cookbook, "Baking: From My Home to Yours".

3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature ( 1/2 cup or 2 sticks)
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    2 large eggs, preferably at room temperature
    About 4 very ripe bananas, mashed ( 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups)
    1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup sour cream (or a combination of the two)

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 9- to 10-inch (12 cup) Bundt pan. (If you use a silicone pan there's no need to butter it.) Don't place the pan on a baking sheet - you want the oven's heat to circulate through the Bundt's inner tube.

Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar and beat at medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla, then add the eggs one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each egg goes inches Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the bananas. Finally, mix in half the dry ingredients (don't be disturbed when the batter curdles), all the sour cream and then the rest of the flour mixture. Scrape the batter into the pan, rap the pan on the counter to deflate any bubbles in the batter and smooth the top.

Bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean. Check the cake after about 30 minutes - if it is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with a foil tent. Transfer the cake to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before unmolding onto the rack to cool to room temperature. If you have time, wrap the cooled cake in plastic and allow it to sit overnight before serving - it's even better the next day.

Optional Lemony Icing: Sift 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar into a bowl and squeeze in enough fresh lemon juice (start with 2 teaspoons and add more by drops) to make an icing thin enough to drizzle down the Bundt's curves.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

Thanks Claire! With an author by the name of Dorrie Greenspan I think it will be just what the doctor ordered. I have a ton of bananas to use up so I may be making this soon. I just have to be sure I have plenty of folks to share it with, since single me can't eat cake up fast enough, which is why I rarely make bundt cakes, even though I LOVE them!

• kayskats
    13 years ago

claire_de_luna

I made Dorrie Greenspan's Banana Bundt Cake last night ... my daughter and grandson (who often prefer canned or boxed foods) both commented without prompting.

Wahooo

kay

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kay, Cool! Thanks for the ''review''. It will go to the front of the list of things To Try!

• mtnester
    13 years ago

This Ambrosial Ginger Ring is delicious, but the recipe is for a 9-cup pan. I've never tried to convert it to quantities for a 12-cup pan.

Ambrosial Ginger Ring

1 20-oz can crushed pineapple
    1 14-oz pkg gingerbread mix
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans
    1/4 cup coconut
    Sweetened whipped cream

Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. Add 1 cup syrup to gingerbread mix, beating until thick and light. Meanwhile combine butter and sugar until blended. Stir in pecans, coconut, and 1/2 cup pineapple. Spoon into bottom of 9-cup bundt pan. Fold remaining pineapple into gingerbread mixture and spoon over top. Bake at 350 F for 45-50 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Serve warm with whipped cream.

8 servings

Sue

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, since I actually have the 9-cup pan, I'm happy to have another recipe. Thank You!

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I always use Baker's Joy or a similar product and have had no problems with them.

Here are a couple of recipes I like. They are written as they were given to me. I noticed that the fraction "one-half" would only come out correctly if I wrote it out.

This one has a very refreshing taste.

Texas Pound Cake

3 cups sugar
    1 cup Crisco
    5 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla flavoring
    1 tsp lemon flavoring
    1 tsp orange flavoring
    1 tsp butter extract
    2 tsp almond extract
    3 cups all purpose flour
    one half tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder

Cream together the sugar and Crisco. Add eggs, beating in one at a time. Add milk and flavorings and beat. Add the baking powder and salt to the flour and beat into the wet mixture a little at a time. Bake in a Bundt pan for approximately one hour at 350. You may have leftover batter which can be cooked in a loaf pan.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pat Chew�s One Step Pound Cake

2 and one half cups all purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    one half tsp salt
    one half tsp baking soda
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup butter, softened
    18 oz container plain yogurt
    3 eggs

Combine all ingredients. Blend at low speed. Beat three minutes at medium speed. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan or 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees about sixty minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool cake upright in the pan for 15 minutes; remove from pan; cool completely.

Note: Pat Chew is the wife of an Army Captain I once worked with.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

I love bundt cakes and I'm eager to try the Sour Cream Lemon cake. I make rum cake with a bundt pan. Yesterday, I made a dozen mini-bundt rum cakes for my dentist and his staff. I made one cake without nuts and he thanked me graciously as he thought I knew he had an allergy--I was just being cautious.

Nothing new here but it is one of my favorites.

Golden Rum Cake
    An easy way to glaze the cake is to pour half of the glaze into Bundt pan, reinsert cake, then pour the rest of glaze over the bottom of the cake. Let absorb well then invert back onto platter.

1 cup chopped pecans
    1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    1 (3.4 ounce) package instant
    vanilla pudding
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup walnut or vegetable oil
    1/2 cup dark rum
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup dark rum (Appleton Estates is a recommended brand)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
    2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto serving plate. Brush glaze over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until all glaze is used.
    4. To make the glaze: in a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum. Double the glaze and while the cake was still hot and in the pan, took a skewer and make little holes all over the cake. Poured half of the glaze in the holes while it cooled a bit in the pan. Inverted the cake and pour the rest of the glaze over it.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beverly, I have a muffin recipe with those exact same flavorings, so I know I'll like your Texas Pound Cake!

Cathy, What a thoughtful thing to do! Thanks for adding to the wonderful string of recipes here. Copied and Pasted!

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Claire, if you have yur muffin recipe handy could you please post it?

Beverly

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure!

Pound Cake Muffins

1-3/4 cups flour
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. baking soda
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2cup light sour cream
    2 eggs
    1 t. vanilla
    1/2 t. orange extract
    1/4 t. almond extract
    1/2 t. butter flavor

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix ingredients and pour into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Thanks Claire, copied and pasted.

Beverly

• palomalou
    12 years ago

Tried a couple of these this weekend. A few thoughts:
    Snickerdoodle cake: wouldn't come out of the pan for squat; in fact, I made a second one because the first one looked so ratty, #2 looked very little better and both were devoured.
    Key lime bundt cake: also delicious. I'd double the recipe when making again because it was very short. Melts in mouth!
    Thanks for the recipes!