SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanabeth

Where did I go wrong?

lizbeth-gardener
10 years ago

I have always been able to make a pretty and tasty pie crust, but the thought of a better anything always tempts me, so....I saw the recipe on Smitten Kitchen for what is supposed to be a superior/preferred/flakier butter crust to my shortening crust and I was on a mission for the best!

I made the pastry for one pie and because it was so simple, I made two more double crusts and refrigerated for about six hours. I then proceeded to make one pie using a frozen peach filling. I rolled the pastry very easily and quickly, so as not to let the butter particles melt, put the frozen pie shaped filling in the bottom crust added a Tbls. butter chopped in small pieces to top of filling, added the top crust, brushed with milk and sprinkled with sugar (as usual) baked on bottom shelf at 400 degrees(pre-heated) for about 50-60 minutes. The filling is delicious, but the crust is a big disappointment. I'm not sure how to describe, maybe shiny, transparent, too thin (I did end up with extra dough)not tasty. Usually the crust is so good it really enhances the filling.

I want to figure out where I went wrong, so I know whether to pitch the other two crusts or gamble on wasting good filling on a mediocre pie.

The only possibilities that occur to me are: Did I roll too thin? Should I have baked in a hotter oven? Or on the middle rack? Did the frozen filling affect the outcome?What am I missing?

Comments (13)