Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red onion babies - please help

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 16:28

I arrived at one of our farmers' markets just as it was opening to find "Red Onion Runts - $1 a basket".

RedOnions

[teaspoon added as a size gauge]

So I bought a basket (about 2 1/2 times the quantity in the bowl) and have no idea what I'm going to do with them. They're small but the same color and flavor as their older siblings.

How would you use them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red onion babies - please help

Onion marmalade?

o

Red onion chutney?

o

I'd blanch, peel and put them into a beef stew. Use lots of red wine in cooking the beef and just think of the lovely color!
Or again peel whole and put into a sweet and sour red cabbage...with whole red baby onions!....perhaps add some cut up sausages as well.

o

I have made this a few time. sorry I do not remember who`s recipe. But know it was from the KTT canning board. This goes great on pork, burgers and pretty much what ever you may choose :) I hope you enjoy..

Caramelized Red Onion Relish

2 large red onions, peeled
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup dry red wine
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper

Slice onions into very thin slices. Combine onions and sugar in a heavy non-stick skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes or until onions turn golden and start to caramelize, stirring frequently.

Stir in wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Remove jars from canner and ladle relish into jars leaving a 1/2 headspace. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes for half-pint jars.

Copied from: http://www.sbcanning.com/2010/11/carmelized-onion-this-is-prize-winner.html

o

Put them in a mesh bag and hang the bag in your
garage, (or anyplace else that is cool).
They will last, 'at least' until Christmas.
You got a great deal.

o

Those are my favorite onions. Use them where you use any onion! You'll obviously use more but that's not a problem. They'll last a long time if stored properly

o

Those babies are too cute to chop up. Make cocktail onions from the smallest ones and use them to garnish Gibsons.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Cocktail Onion Recipe

o

I agree, Jim, they're too darned cute to chop up, I'd try to think of a way to use them whole. Hmmmm....

They're really too big for creamed onions and might be an oddly pink color when sauced. I don't suppose you want to pickle them, maybe with some jalapeno rings or add them to bread and butter pickles. The onions are my favorite part of bread and butter pickles.

Ah, probably not. I'd probably roast them either with some other vegetables, maybe potatoes and fennel, or else I'd roast them by themselves and drizzle with a bit of good balsamic before serving.

You could make that crosshatch cut on them and then dip in batter and make tiny little "blooming onions". I think that might be impossibly frustrating, though!

Annie

o

Thanks for all the ideas. I used some where I only needed a small amount of onion, as in a salad.

I also simmered some whole, removed the tops and centers and chopped and sauteed them with minced mushrooms and red peppers; then added some chopped herbs and bread crumbs and warmed them in the oven. They were very good, but would have been better with the addition of crumbled bacon but I didn't have any. Pic is on WFD thread.

I plan on making some of bebet's red onion relish to top ribeye steak sandwiches and will add a few whole ones to an upcoming beef and turnip stew.

I like going to the market and not knowing what I'll be buying until I see what they have.

o

Nice haul!

How about a large batch of French Onion Soup? That takes a bunch of onions cooked down in a crockpot or cast iron Dutch oven in a slow oven. I use several varieties of onions including reds.

o

I just posted a great fall recipe on the New Recipe review thread; Braised Chicken in Aromatic Tomato Sauce. It calls for 3 red onions, so that would use up at least half a dozen of your runts.
Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here