SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khandi_gw

Frozen Raspberries

khandi
16 years ago

What do you do with frozen raspberries?

I have a big container of it and I'm not sure what do to with it besides smoothies. I usually add 1/2 cup or so of raspberries to my blueberry pies but blueberries were really scarce here this year so no pies! lol

Comments (15)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use them in AnnT's scones..and she also has a raspberry cake that's good..

And I use them like fresh in other baking recipes. Raspberries are one of my fav berries.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Put them in the middle of a chocolate layer and some more on top...use in a Trifle or a Charlotte, in a fruit salad, add a few to a salad of Boston lettuce with toasted pecans and a balsamic vinaigrette, serve over icecream with chocolate sauce...put a few on your cereal..
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

Raspberry ice cream

Q

Comments (2)
    When I was a kid our local bakery used to make a red, white, and blue ice cream for the 4th of July. Red and blue were raspberry and blueberry and slightly tart (very refreshing), then a sweet vanilla for the white. It was something to look forward to every year. EDIT It was in layers like neapolitan ice cream, only so much better than chocolate and strawberry together. This post was edited by conchitaFL on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 23:41
    ...See More

A frozen raspberry melted into my carpet

Q

Comments (3)
    I swear by Spot Shot for stains after it removed an orange soda stain that was left on my carpet for months. It also removed ink from the carpet when the puppy chewed on a pen at the top of the stairs! Here is a link that might be useful: Get the aerosol can
    ...See More

RECIPE: Looking for Frozen Raspberry Desert Recipe

Q

Comments (4)
    Here is the update! I made the recipe with a few changes. My man is diabetic, and I didn't want to load the thing with sugar, so I substituted 1 Cup of Raw Organic Agave Nectar for the 4 C of powdered sugar, and I left out the eggs in the butter mixture. It tasted the same and spread the same. The whole desert was a huge hit with our guests! Delicious!! If I do it again, I'll mix the berries in with half the whipped cream because they become a layer of ice and are hard to slice if you freeze it. Suspended in whipped cream, I think they would cut easier with no change in flavor. I'd top the thing with the other half of whip cream, and then some sliced almonds. You guys should try that recipe! It's deelish! Thanks! Suzi
    ...See More

Raspberry Orange Muffings

Q

Comments (3)
    Khandi, those do sound good. Think black raspberries would be good? Lime zest with blueberries would be another switch to try. Nancy
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    16 years ago

Black rasp are my favorite, but recipes for black and red are usually interchangeable. I have a lot in the freezer.
    You can always make jam. As Terri said, "scones". I also use them for muffins, pie, cobbler, tart, cooked down into a filling for baked good, sprinkle some frozen berries into breakfast cereal (they will thaw fast), make sorbet.

Nancy

• rosecmd
    16 years ago

Make cobblers - peach & raspbaerry is nice. I always use thawed frozen fruit for cobblers. I used to make pear raspberry pies -- they were nice. I used to make raspberry muffins too -- you are giving me ideas to make some old favorites!

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Raspberry syrup and raspberry curd are also wonderful.

Carol

• colleenoz
    16 years ago

I've got a great unbaked cheese cake recipe- easy too!

White Chocolate and Raspberry Cheesecake (a Kraft recipe)

1 1/4 cups crushed cookies (I like chocolate ones best, but shortbreads or graham crackers are also good)
    75g/2 1/2 oz butter, melted

Mix together and press into a lightly oiled 22cm/9" springform pan.

500g/1 lb cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    2 teaspoons gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water, cooled
    200g/ 7oz white chocolate, melted
    1 cup cream, lightly whipped
    1/2 cup raspberries
    more raspberries to garnish

Whip cream cheese with sugar and lemon rind until light and smooth. Beat in the gelatine and water mixture, then fold in the melted white chocolate, whipped cream and 1/2 cup of berries. Pour onto prepared cookie base. Garnish with more raspberries (I cover the top in concentric rings of berries) and place in rerigerator for 3 hours or longer to set. Before serving you can dust with a little confectioner's sugar if you like.
    You can also substitute other berries. This is VERY popular at the tea room I bake for.

• khandi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I had a mind block as to what to do with them! lol

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I'm so jealous of you with the frozen raspberries. I grow them but with room for only three bushes, the most I get is a bowful now and then.

I make both apple and peach pie with raspberries--yummy! I also like them in that coffee cake with the cheese struesel swirl. I like them on cobbler and in sauce. Oddly enough, I don't like them in scones and muffins, seems like their taste and texture get lost in baking. That's why I seem to do better when using them to "punch" something else up.

• diana55
    16 years ago

You can put them over Icecream.!!! Delicious !!! Diana55

• diana55
    16 years ago

The Ingredients
    Vanilla bean ice cream: 4 egg yolks, 1/2 pint milk, 1/2 pint double/heavy cream, 4 ozcaster sugar, 2 vanilla pods

raspberry sorbet: Two and one-half cups raspberry puree (made from 2 to 3 pints fresh or 2 bags frozen, unsweetened) 2 cups simple sugar syrup (three-fourths cup sugar and one and one-fourth cups water boiled for five minutes and cooled)

-Store bought nagasaki castella for base. Or just use some good quality sponge cake.

Frosting: cup Butter 2 cup Icing sugar 2 each Egg whites 2 tbs raspberry liqueur

The Method
    this is quite simple , it just seems long because i made my own ice cream and sorbet. the vanilla bean ice cream balances the tartness of the sorbet and since castella is not too sweet this is pretty refreshing. You can definately buy good quality ice cream and sorbet and it'll work just fine. Just make sure its actual vanilla BEAN and not extract in the ice cream.

vanilla ice cream: beat and mix together the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Separately, pour the milk into a saucepan and scald it (bring slowly up to boiling point). Pour the hot milk into the egg yolks and sugar mix while continuously stirring.add vanilla beans. Then pour the mixture back into the pan and heat gently, stirring until the custard thickens - DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE. When you can see a film form over the back of your spoon it's time to remove the saucepan from the heat. Leave to cool When the custard base is cold, stir in the cream , then transfer the whole mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

raspberry sorbet: In a food processor puree the raspberries. Then push the berries with a wooden spoon through a medium mesh sieve and then a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Combine puree and syrup and freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions or freeze till hard, pull out of freezer, scrape and mix together and refreeze. Do this twice to make it smooth.

icing:

Cream butter. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup icing sugar, beating until smooth. Set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually beat in 1 cup of the icing sugar. Combine both mixtures and continue adding the icing sugar until you get a good spreading consistency.add liqueur.

assemble :

cut long slices of castella for the bottom part and lay them at the bottom of a large springform pan . add thick layer of sorbet and put in freezer , covered, for a couple of hours.add thick layer of vanilla bean ice cream and put in the freezer again for another hour or so. (you can add more cake if you like or assemble however you prefer , it doesnt matter)

make your icing , to take the cake out run a hot knife thry the sides and pray it comes out without breaking. springform pan is neccesary for this.

decorate to your liking , adding some rasberries for a final touch. You could also drizzle with white chocolate ganache if you're feeling in that sort of mood.

enjoy.

oh yum!!! Diana55

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Carol, Do you have the recipe for raspberry curd?

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

I add them into a fresh fruit salad along with sliced peaches, banana, seedless grapes, any other berries and topped with fresh squeezed orange juice and a small spoon of sugar.

I made that today (posted on the WFD) and it was really good.
    I used a box of frozen mixed berries which included raspberries and added the fresh fruit and juice.
    By the time we had finished dinner, the berries had defrosted and the salad was lovely and cool.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

In addiditon to all the suggestions above I also infuse vodka with them. Mascerate a couple of cups of frozen raspberries with 1/2 cup or so of sugar. Put the berries in a large covered container, pour in a quart of vodka and let stand for several days. Strain into clean bottle, and let stand for a month. Then....enjoy! It's good as a cordial all by itself and excellent in mixed drinks. I have a batch "brewing" right now!

I also do blueberry, pineapple, and just recently strawberry infused vodkas. they make good martinis!

Linda

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Hi Terri,

Here are two. I like the richness of just egg yolks in version 1 but don't like the method. I think the blender aerates and curd shouldn't be bubbly. The second version has a good method, except that I use a double boiler and, if I'm using whole eggs, strain at the end. It's just a fail-safe for silky-smooth texture and to catch any shreds of coagulated white that might have snuck in.

RASPBERRY CURD #1

3 cups raspberries
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup sugar (if the berries are not sweet enough)
    1 cup unsalted butter
    3 egg yolks

Puree the raspberries, combine them with the lemon juice and sugar, if
    needed. Place in saucepan, simmer about 5 minutes, and strain through a
    mesh sieve.

Place the strained raspberries in a blender or food processor. Melt the butter in a saucepan until it is just bubbly. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the butter. Return the mixture to a saucepan. In a
    mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of the raspberry mixture to the egg yolks and blend well. Pour the egg yolk and raspberry mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the raspberry mixture. Over very low heat, stir until the mixture thickens, about 10 or 15 minutes.

Cool and refrigerate.

Raspberry curd will keep up to 10 days in the refrigerator. Makes about 1 pint.

RASPBERRY CURD #2

3 half-pint baskets raspberries
    About 1/2 cup sugar
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
    2 eggs
    2 egg yolks

Puree the raspberries and put them through a fine strainer to remove the seeds. Measure 1 1/2 cups puree, heat it in a non-corroding saucepan, and stir in the sugar and butter. Taste and add the lemon juice to taste. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks just enough to mix them, then stir in some of the hot puree to warm them. Return to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick -- it should reach a temperature of 170 degrees F. Chill.

Makes about 2 cups, enough to fill one 9-inch tart.

I haven't had any luck using out-of-season berries, only the "real McCoy." Out-of-season the flavor can be flat and the color pale.

Strawberry curd, I discovered, doesn't work - unless you're fond of brown, LOL. The color is really unappetizing.

Carol

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Ooooh, Carol! Those sound really good! I will definitely be saving them to try soon!
    Thanks!

Linda