Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reusing canning lids

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 16:00

I know this is a big no-no but I still do it. It used to be you could reuse them easily because they weren't so fragile. The new silver ones are hard to reuse because they always dent when you remove them from the jars.

I no longer reuse them for canning, but use them for vacuum packing sour cream, mayo and cottage cheese that we buy in bulk. I make yogurt in pint jars for my dogs and use them to vacuum seal those also. I only use the ones that are not dented (or ones I can fix) and can get a seal most of the time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reusing canning lids

I don't reuse mine for anything that requires a seal, but I do wash and reuse them to cap jars that I use for yogurt in the refrigerator, to store half full (half empty?) jars of jam and pickles, etc, and to use on jars that I store beans, rice, barley and other dry goods in to keep the bugs out.

I do have a friend who reuses them for canning jam, which I do not recommend. She gets a seal "usually", and if jam is moldy she doesn't eat it, but I hate to waste the time, energy and ingredients in an effort to save 15 cents or less.

I have a Food Saver but have never been able to get it to seal of jar of anything, whether the lids are new or used.

Annie

o
RE: Reusing canning lids

I never reuse them after they have been in the canner. I do use knew lids repeatedly, that have never been in the canner for storing things in the fridge or pantry, mostly bacon grease, used oil or dry ingredients.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here