Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup

Posted by bob_cville (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 15:51

Two weeks ago I was helping make appetizers for a large party. One that I made was a Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup, it was such a hit I made it again for a birthday bash this past weekend. I think I've posted an earlier version of this recipe here in the past, but its finally what I would call Tried and True.

It works well as an appetizer, served in clear plastic dixie cups.

Makes about 36 oz which should serve about 6 as an appetizer

Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup

3 large cucumbers (peeled and seeded)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dill weed

After peeling and seeding cucumbers, chop them into 1/2" cubes and place in colander. Sprinkle all of the salt on the cucumber pieces and let sit for 10 minutes. (to draw out some of the moisture and any bitterness)

Next place salted cucumbers in food processor or blender with all of the remaining ingredients, blend until desired smoothness.

Chill for about an hour and serve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Cucumber Yogurt Soup

That looks really good - I like all the ingredients. I just wonder if that is enough dill - it seems a bit skimpy to me, but I'll try it anyway, although I might add a bit more of the dill. I make a dip that is very similar, but without the cucumbers, and I add a fair amount of fresh black pepper to it.

Thanks for sharing!

Lars

o

Kind of liquid tzatziki - sounds good to me, too. My question is if there's a liquid missing from the ingredients list. Do the cucumbers liquify so much when they're pureed - even after salting - to turn this into a soup?

Once that's confirmed I'll give it a shot.

o

I make this with regular yogurt, not Greek, so mine may have a looser consistency, Of course the sour cream, which is not an ingredient in mine, would probably thin it down somewhat. I think either one would be good in its own way.

I like it to have some texture, so I don't use a food processor or blender. I just chop the cucumber finely with a knife. Cucumber is easy to chop.

Jim

o

Even after salting the cukes and discarding the water that is drawn out, and switching from regular yogurt to greek yogurt, the soup is still liquidy enough that some guests decided to sip it directly from the cup rather than using a spoon.

For the large party a couple of weeks ago, I started with 39 cucumbers, and made 13 batches of the above recipe and took over two hours. A larger blender really would have helped.

o

To get 36 oz out of that recipe....you must use really REALLY big cucumbers since the only liquid listed amounts to about 12 oz. Surely there is something missing.

Here's the recipe I use.....much higher calorie but you can sub greek yogurt for the sour cream and whole milk for the half and half....I know for a fact that this makes about 1 1/2 qts and serves 8 as 1st course.
2 large cucumbers
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp salt
1 Tsp dry dill weed
1 cup lemon juice
2 8 oz cartons of sour cream
2 cups half and half
And milk to make it thin enough , about a cup
Chopped chives and cucumber slices for garnish
Peel and seed the cucumber and puree in a blender.
Pour in the sour cream and 1/2 and 1/2 and mix well....add milk as needed to thin if desired.
Chill and serve garnished with chives and cuke slices.

o

Yes they were rather monster cucumbers, approximately 2 1/2 in diameter, and 8 or 9 inches long. I was making the batches in the large pitcher of my Ninja blender, which holds 48 oz, and each batch after blending came to approximately the marking "35" on the pitcher, which I assume meant 35 fl oz

For more normal sized cucumbers 4 of them might be the answer, and for the scrawny, anemic ones I've been getting from my garden 6 or more would be needed.

o

You all were making me doubt my memory of the recipe, so I made it again following the recipe above with three large cucumbers, and it produced just over 35 fl oz of soup.

Although on this repeat, I rushed and didn't leave the cucumber pieces sit long enough, and the result was a little bit more watery and little bit more salty than usual.

If someone does give this a try, please report back.

-Bob

o

I've saved your recipe, Bob, and would like to try it. Although Jerry doesn't usually like soups like that, I do. I think it would be great to pack for my lunch, as it would have a good amount of protein.

I usually use yogurt as a substitute for sour cream, so it will be interesting to make this recipe and do a taste comparison. Actually, that might be a bad idea, as I know that real, full fat sour cream tastes a whole lot better on a baked potato or a burrito, but as long as I don't taste them side by side, I'm happy with yogurt! lol.

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here