Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need dinner help for tonight

Posted by jsvrn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 15:50

I purchased two center cut bone-in pork loin chops today at the market (approx 1 in thick and 2.3 lbs total weight). I am not sure how to fix them so that they turn out as good as they look. I prefer not to grill unless that is my best option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need dinner help for tonight

My hubby's Polish Grandmother would cut a pocket in the side of the chop and stuff it with stuffing...like you make at Thanksgiving and then bread the pork chops, brown them on top of the stove and then finish by baking them in the oven till they were done. They were delicious. She would serve them with fried potatoes and a vegetable! Not low calorie but then back then no one seemed to care!
Joann

o

This recipe is quick, easy and very tasty. The sauce is great on mashed potatoes, too. You might want to adjust for only two chops, or you may not...the sauce is that good!

Sherried Mushroom Pork Chops

Butter flavored cooking oil spray
1 clove garlic, pressed
6 lean center cut pork loin chops (may be boneless or bone in)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 - 8 ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained (I use fresh)
1 cup dry sherry
1 - 10.5 ounce can fat-free beef broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking oil spray and heat over medium heat. Add garlic, and saut� until fragrant. Season pork chops with salt and pepper, then cook them in the skillet just until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops to a baking dish.

Pour the mushrooms into the skillet with the pork garlic, and stir in the sherry and beef broth, scraping any bits of pork that are stuck to the pan. Bring to a boil, then pour over the pork chops in the baking dish. Cover with a lid, or aluminum foil.

Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, then remove the lid or foil, and continue to bake for another 15 minutes. Remove the chops from the pan to a serving platter, and place the dish on the stove over medium heat. Stir together the cornstarch and water. When the juices in the pan come to a boil, slowly stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon sauce over the chops, and serve.

Per Serving: 197 Calories; 5g Fat (30.2% calories from fat); 2g Saturated Fat; 22g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 306mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable.
Low Fat Recipes Furnished by LowFatLifestyle.com� - Copyright 2006

I know you'd rather not grill, but these are absolutely FABULOUS! I make them whenever I can find thick pork chops!

Stuffed Pork Chops
From Food Network-the Neely�s

1/2 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 quarts water
4 (2-inch thick) pork chops, bone-in rib loin chops, split to bone
2 slices bacon, chopped
2 stalks celery, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage leaves
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
2 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Whisk salt and sugars in 2-quarts of cold water. Add pork chops and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove the pork chops from the brine and dry well.
In a large heavy bottomed saute pan, begin to fry bacon. Add celery, onion and garlic to pan and allow to saute with the crispy bacon. Add rosemary, sage and parsley after bacon has cooked for 8 to 10 minutes. Saute until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl add cornbread, dried cranberries and chicken stock. Stir in the cooked vegetable mixture. Mix well.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Stuff the chop with about 1/2 cup of stuffing. Use toothpicks to help seal the chops. Grill the chops for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Internal temperature should be 145 degrees F. Allow chop to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Linda

o

I would stuff them....but I would ise a mushroom garlic, onion and bread crumb stuffing, with blue cheese...
I can post the recipe if that sounds good
Or a bread and dried fruit stuffing...using slightly dry bread, and dried apricots, currents or cranberrys and fresh apples...and onion.
No recipe for that...I jsut wing it.
And I brush with soy sauce and bake at 375 until 160 internal temp.
Linda c

o

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Lindac I would love the rcipe. Thanks

o

I salt and pepper both sides and brown them on one side in an ovenproof pan using a bit of olive oil. I flip them browned side up, smear them with Dijon mustard (lately Stonewall Kitchens Champagne and Shallot variety) and then pat on a nice thick layer of Panko breadcrumbs (Progresso Italian seasoned variety is really good here). I finish them off in a 325 degree oven. The bottom of the chops brown in the oven, and the crumbs crisp up nicely.

We had these last night with a saute of sliced apple, onions, garlic and spinach and roasted butternut squash from the garden.

seagrass

o

This is one of my favorite meals.
I pat the chops dry with paper towels, then
massage them with a little cooking oil.
Then I sprinkle them with garlic salt, then
a lot of black pepper and finally a liberal
coat of paprika. I bake them for 'about'
half an hour, at 350,turning them half way.
They are done, for me, when my Thermo pen
says they are 160. Served with garlic mashed
potatoes and buttered baby peas......YUMMMM.
Sometimes they are an inch and a half, which
is why the baking time might vary.
Mind you, these have to be the bone-in chops,
not loin chops. Gnawing any remaing meat off
the bone is the best part.

o

Here's the blue cheese and mushroom stuffed chops.

Blue cheese stuffed pork chops:
6 pork chops, 1 1/2 inches thick with pocket cut
3 T butter
1 T fine minced onion
1/2 c crumbled Maytag blue cheese
1/4 c. finely chopped mushrooms
3/4 c. fine, dry bread crumbs (not moist, fresh bread)

Melt butter in skillet, add onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in blue cheese, bread crumbs . Stuff chops and secure pockets with a toothpick. Bake at 325 for about 45 minutes to an hour and serve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here