Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaking of Apples

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 15:40

Seeing Triciae's post about apples gave me an idea. A friend and I are in charge of the program for our October garden club meeting. Most of us don't do a lot of gardening anymore but we enjoy doing garden related things, especially eating.

We are planning a trip to a local apple orchard, they have a restaurant :-), in mid-October. I'm thinking a small collection of recipes using apples, to hand out, would be nice, and useful as well.

Would you be so kind as to post your favorite T&T recipe(recipes)using apples. I would much appreciate it. TIA.

jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking of Apples

Apple cake with cake gravy

Apple Cake

4 cups chopped apples
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots)
Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK)
2 cups flour
1 ½ tsps baking soda ( I like ¾ tsps soda and ¾ tsps BP)
¾ tsps salt
1T cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg
Mix dry ingredients
2 eggs
¾ cups veggie oil
1 tsp vanilla
beat together
1 cup chopped pecans if desired.
Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.
Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until done…..40 to 50 minutes.
Serve with cake gravy!

Cake Gravy
Mix 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup evap milk ( cream is better!)
1 tsp vanilla….
Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes.
Serve warm over the cake.

o

A couple more
Salad, pear, apple and raspberry

Peel and cut up 2 firm but ripe pears
And 2 granny smith apples
Dice 2 small ribs celery or 1 large
And add ¼ cup walnut pieces toasted until fragrant
Dress with the following dressing

2 T seedless raspberry preserves
melted with
2 T rice vinegar.
Sprinkle a little of this mix over the cut up fruit and toss until all is uniformly pink
Cool and whisk in 1/4 cup EVOO
And 1/2 tsps celery seed.
And dress the salad until all is moist.

Cake, Applesauce, mine
1 egg beaten
1/2 cup shortening…I use butter
1 cup of sugar
1 cup cold unsweetened applesauce
1 3/4 cups AP flour
1 tsp soda
3/4 tsps salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
1/4 tsp powdered cloves
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins and nuts cut up…optional

Sift together, flour soda, salt and spices
Cream shortening, beat in sugar, beat in the egg
and the applesauce and vanilla….add the flour etc
and pour into a greased 8 ½ by 11 pan and bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes….until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frost with a caramel glaze if you wish...I don't just serve warm with ice cream.

o

This is the simplest recipe and very tasty. It is good to do with kids too, because it is so easy. Can be their first recipe to try. It is called 4-4-1-1

4 good size apples (tart apples are best, but sweet will work too)
4 eggs,
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of AP flower
1 teaspoon of vanila
butter to grease 12 x 9 baking pan

Quarter and core apples. Don't need to peel. Cut each quarter into smaller chanks. Size really does not matter here as well a amount of apples, could be 3 or 5.
Heat oven to 400
Grease bottom of the pan (do not grease sides)
Put apples in a layer to cover all bottom.
Beat eggs to foam with mixer (hand mixer works best).
Gradually add sugar when still beating.Keep beating 4-5 min at highest speed
Gradually add flower when still beating.Add vanila. Keep beating.
Stop when color is white and peaks form.
Using spoon to put mix over the layer of apples. Try to make it even.
Put into the middle shelf in the oven.
Start cheking for readiness after 25-30 min.Tester should come clean when inserted in the middle.
Color will be beautiful (rose/beige).
Some ovens produce wonderful crust on the top, some not, but it is still very good.
Coold down, slice and enjoy. Crust become worse next day, but the cake itself gets only better.

o

Sorry I misspelled flour. Mental block :(

Olga

o

Here are two long-time favorite recipes, pretty easy too!

Apple Chess Pie

unbaked pie shell
3 to 5 apples
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 to 1 stick butter or margarine, melted

Peel the apples, then grate into the pie shell. Mix the rest of the ingredients and pour over the apples. Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 and bake for 35 minutes.

Pennsylvania Dutch Apple Crumb Pie

6 tart apples
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup flour
pastry for a 9-inch pie shell

Peel apples and cut into medium thick slices. Mix half the sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples. Put apple mixture into pie shell. Blend the flour, the remaining sugar, and the butter, working it into small crumbs with your fingers. Sprinkle the crumbs over the apples in the pie shell. Bake in a hot 425 degrees F oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to a moderate 350 degrees F and bake for 35 minutes more.

This recipe freezes well before baking. Just give it a little more time in the oven if baking from frozen.

Teresa

o

I liked the Cookalong for Apples - lots of great recieps from CF members were posted there. But if I had to pick one that is a little different and very popular with my gang, it would be this one:

Roast Loin of Pork with Cranberry Apple Stuffing

3 lb Pork Loin, trimmed, butterflied and pounded 3/4 inch thick
6 oz Pork flavored stuffing mix (I use my own seasoned bread cubes)
1 med onion, diced
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP EVO
1-2 Granny Smith Apple(s), peeled, cored and diced
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup boiling water
2 egg whites, beaten to frothy
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup chopped Rosemary
1/4 cup thyme
S&P to taste

1. Butterfly and pound the roast to 3/4 inch thick.
2. Soak Cranberries in 1/2 cup boiling water. Drain after 15 minutes and squeeze out extra liquid.
3. Prepare stuffing according to directions. (I make my own)
4. Saute the onions in 2 tbsp EVO until translucent (about 6 min). Add diced apples and set aside to cool.
5. Combine the prepared stuffing with cranberries, apples, onions, 1/2 cup chopped parsley and 2 egg whites.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay pork loin flat and spread the inside with Dijon mustard. Season with salt, pepper, a little of the rosemary and a little thyme. Pile the stuffing down the center of the pork loin. Roll the pork loin around the stuffing and tie at 2 inch intervals. Coat the outside with EVO, remaining herbs and S&P.
7. Sear the pork loin on all sides in a heavy roasting pan, browning it on all sides. Transfer pan to oven and roast for about 1 hour and 15 min or until internal temp reaches 165.
8. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 min until carving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #16 - Apples

o

I just tried this one and I liked it a lot, although the girls didn't care for the "custardy" middle part. It's from Cook's Illustrated but is not as picky and tedious as some of their recipes tend to be. I did not have Granny Smith apples so I used Jonathan, and it turned out fine but I think something like MacIntosh would turn to mush in the microwave.

FRENCH APPLE CAKE (serves 8 to 10)
1-1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges and sliced 1/8 inch thick crosswise
1 Tablespoon Calvados
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 Cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg plus 2 large yolks
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioner�s sugar
Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and preheat to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch spingform pan with vegetable oil spray. Place prepared pan on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminun foil. Place apple slices into a microwave safe pie plate and cover, then mircrowave until apples are pliable and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Toss apple slices with Calvados and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.
Whisk one cup flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Whisk egg, oil, milk, and vanilla together in a second bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Transfer one cup batter to a separate bowl and set aside.
Add the two egg yolks to remaining batter and whisk to combine. Using a spatula, gently fold in cooled apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan; using an offset spatula, spread batter evenly to pan edges, gently pressing on apples to create an even, compact layer and smooth surface.
Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons of flour into reserved batter. Pour over batter in pan and spread evenly to edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar evenly over batter.
Bake until center of cake is set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Top should be golden brown, bake about 1-1/4 hours total. Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen and let cool completely, 2 to 3 hours. Dust lightly with confectioners sugar, cut into wedges and serve.

Annie

o

This is always on our Thanksgiving table and I make and freeze (2 cup portions in freezer bags) a couple of batches every fall.

HOLIDAY APPLESAUCE

4 lb. sweet apples (Red or Golden Delicious, Empire, Winesap, etc.), cut into chunks (don’t peel or core)
3 cups cranberries (12 oz.)
1 cup unsweetened apple cider
Two 3-inch strips lemon zest
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

In covered pot, simmer apples, cranberries, cider and lemon peel, stirring occasionally, for 1/2 hour or more, until apples are very tender. Add sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, covered 10 minutes. Discard zest. Pass mixture through a food mill. Add honey, sugar, or brown sugar to taste. Makes about 2 quarts. Can be frozen.

o

OK, here's another one that I really like, posted by SharonCB. I miss her beautiful pictures...

WILLOW'S GLAZED APPLE COOKIES

Cookies:

1/2 cup soft margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teasp cinnamon
1/2 teasp cloves
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teasp baking powder
1 teasp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 teasp salt
2 peeled and grated medium size Granny Smith apples
1 cup chopped raisins
1/4 cup milk

Glaze:

1 1/2 cup icing sugar
1 TBS soft butter
dash of vanilla
pinch of salt
dash of cinnamon
2 - 3 TBS cream
Stir well to make a very soft but not runny icing.

1) Cream margarine with sugar . Add egg and spices. Beat until well blended.

2) Add apples and milk.

3) Sift together the dry ingredients adding raisins (& nuts).

4) Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir well until blended.

5) Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.

6) Bake 13 - 14 minutes at 375F.

7) Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack and cool approx 10 minutes then glaze while still a bit warm.

Annie

o

Oh, I love Apple Cobbler!!

Apple Cobbler

4 cups apples, peeled and sliced or cut in chunks
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups plus 1 tbsp flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp grated lemon zest
6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
1 cup cream or milk (I've used both with equally good results)
sprinkle of cinnamon if desired

Heat oven to 375.

In a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish or a 9" deep-dish pie plate toss the apples, 1/3 cups sugar and 1 tbsp flour.

Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes until fruit is slightly softened.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the baking powder, salt, lemon zest, 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Add the butter and blend with your fingers or pastry blender until coarse crumbs.
Add 3/4 cup cream or milk and mix until it forms a shaggy dough. Add more if needed.

Drop mounds of dough over the apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon if using. Bake until dough is lightly browned and fruit is bubbly, 15-20 minutes.

o
RE: Speaking of Apples---Thank you

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! I knew I could count on you. Such mouth watering recipes! I'm going to include some of the caramel glazes, icing and sauces as well. Caramel and apples go hand in hand.

Keep 'em coming!

jude

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here