Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone used a SimmerMat on their smoothtop stove?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 15:26

I like using a Pyrex Flameware tea pot, and usually use it on a coil-type hot plate without a heat distributing ring. But I just read that the Flameware isn't supposed to be used without the ring or a heat diffuser.

I did a search for a heat diffuser and all the ones I found on Amazon had mixed reviews, with quite a few about damage to the glasstop stove.

Then I did a search for glasstop heat diffuser and found the SimmerMat, but with no reviews. It did say it could be used on any type stove, including smoothtop. I'd like some reviews before I consider it though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone used a SimmerMat on their smoothtop stove?

First question, just by the names of the products, is "simmering" really what you want to do with a "tea pot"?

Read the reviews on Amazon, a one-star review said it ruined the ceramic burner, and one of the five-star reviews quotes the instructions as saying you must first bring the product to a boil without the mat. Neither sounds good for your situation.

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon

o
RE: Has anyone used a SimmerMat on their smoothtop stove?

Those are the reviews I read too. My smoothtop has one burner that is on high no matter what level the knob is on, and of course, it's the best size for most of my pots. That's one reason I hoped this simmer mat would work. In order to use pyrex on the glasstop, it's supposed to have a non-glass surface between them.

I read another review (no Amazon) that someone uses their cast iron skillet as a diffuser on their burner that is like mine. I might try that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here