SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Trip to farmer's market (lots of thumbnails)

triciae
11 years ago

Took some pictures at the farmer's market today. We've been going for 3 years now and the grower's have gotten to know us. Makes for a more fun experience to be greeted by name.

Our market is held every Sunday 12:00-3:00 p.m. at Militia Field adjacent to the Denison Homestead in Mystic. The field is where we have village get-togethers when we need more room/parking than the riverwalk provides. A couple months ago Militia Field is where we had the reinactments in remembrance of the War of 1812, for instance. The homestead was built in 1717. Although my picture isn't great it's gorgeous and in the spring the entire hillside is awash with daffodils. The homestead is a museum and is also next to the Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center. The Nature Center helped me out and came to the house when I had the eagle fly into the living room window and his mate was screaming from the white pine across the street. Good, helpful folks. Anyway, back to the farmer's market...

Entrance...

Denison Homestead...

Connecticut Maple Syrup...

Alpaca yarns and homespun 'stuff'...

Corn guy (he's the one in red)...

This where I got the organic grass-fed beef bones for tomorrow's stock to be made with my pig's foot...

Line to the "Apple Lady". She's a true New Englander. I'll leave further description to everybody's imaginations (lol)...

Wider shot of market...

Jellies, jams, vanilla extract, honey, etc...

There's entertainment every week. Today was Craig Edwards. He played/sang a lot of Carter Family music plus a little Willie and Garth thrown in to keep us on our toes and singing along. Later on in the fall there will be open fire cooking demos and earlier in the spring there were cheese making demos. One week it was a demo by the CT state police showing off their dogs doing tricks. It varies every week...

Goat cheese...

Fresh lemonade. We had a cup. Tasted sooo good. I don't usually make lemonade because citrus is expensive here.

Congregational Church pie ladies - 8" pies for $12.00. They're pretty good...

Baked goods. This pix is here because the little girl is so cute! She's about two. When somebody comes up - she runs out to greet them and says, "Hi!" Too darling.

Besides the bones, we got haricots vert, beets, a few more apples for sauce, grass-fed beef short ribs, and a glass of lemonade. Nice trip after church.

/tricia

Comments (4)