Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AnnT ? - Tarte au sucre...

Posted by arabellamiller (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 14:43

Ann, your photo of Tarte au sucre from the WFD thread has been haunting me! It looks delicious. So, I looked for a recipe on epicurious, and although it clearly wasn't the same, I gave it a try:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It was, and I can't believe I would ever utter these words, nauseatingly sweet. One small slice and I felt blechy. I might try it again with some toasted walnuts to add texture and dilute the sweet.

Still though, it's not what I was hoping for. Would you mind sharing your recipe? That bread looked so light and delicious.

Thanks.

AM

PS Here's the recipe for the one above, if anyone's interested. I can see why people like it, just not my taste.

The recipe for this "sugar tart," a Belgian classic, comes from Auberge du Moulin Hideux. Similar to a rustic coffee cake, this treat is lovely for brunch or as an afternoon snack with coffee or tea.

Servings: Makes 10 to 12 servings.

ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons dry yeast
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup whole milk
3 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
2/3 cup whipping cream
2/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

preparation
Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Mix flour, 1/4 cup sugar, yeast, lemon peel and salt in processor. Using on/off turns, add butter and blend until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk and 3 egg yolks. Using on/off turns, blend until soft dough forms. Using wet fingertips, press dough over bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Cover tightly with plastic and let rise in warm draft-free area until light and puffy (dough will not double in volume), about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 400F. Whisk 2 eggs and cream in small bowl to blend. Sprinkle 1/3 cup brown sugar over bottom of tart. Pour cream mixture over. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup sugar. Bake until dough puffs and browns and filling browns in spots, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack. Cut around pan sides to loosen tart. Release pan sides. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AnnT ? - Tarte au sucre...

AM
Clearly not they're not the same, having seen Ann T's photo. I did a search & all refer to "sugar pie" & each recipe had a pie crust, with the exception of the recipe you posted & because of the yeast, I too I would have expected something more in line with Ann's.

Now I'm curious.

Lucy

o

The crust on my pie was really soft and sticky. I liked the texture of the yeast crust, it was the filling that was just too sweet.

o

Oh my! Being French, that sure doesn't look like a traditional sugar pie!

Here's my aunt's recipe for Tart au Sucre. I've never made it but my mom says it's really good!

1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 egg
tsp vanilla
Pinch of cinnamon
cup Carnation milk (not 2%)
cup water

Beat egg; add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, milk, and water. Add flour and mix well. Pour into one uncooked pie shell. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes, until golden brown and set.

o

Arabella, I'm not around this morning but I'll type up the recipe for you later today. Even though I've been baking this for over 25 years, I've never typed it into my files. The recipe is out of French Regional Cooking by Anne Willan. Even though it is a Tarte Au Sugar, it is not like the sugar tart, from Quebec that I'm familiar with, but a Sugar yeast cake. And it really is a light buttery yeast dough topped with butter and brown sugar. Definitely French from the Champagne/North region of France.

Ann

o
sugar pie

I checked Ann's tarte au sucre picture. That's more of a cake than a traditional tarte au sucre. I'm French Canadian and my mother used to make tarte au sucre when I was little. It's sweet and rich, and is made with a pie crust.

I would, however, like to have her recipe for that picture because it still looks good!

http://thibeault.smugmug.com/gallery/244874#199935101

o
Tarte au sugar

Ann, thanks for that info. I did some internet research at some French websites and didn't realize that they did it two different ways. The France way, and the French Canadian way! In France, it mentioned that some did it as the "cake" and others as the "pie". The cake is like a "brioche" type of crust. It's very interesting and sounds really good.

o

Thanks, I'm looking forward to having both incarnations in my repertoire. (heh, get it? "repertoire", that's French. Sorry, I'm just cracking myself up).

AM

o

this is what I think of when I hear "tarte au sucre, sugar pie" , some recipes are more caramelly, others are more sugary, it's usually done with brown sugar, cream , butter and a bit of flour. Mixed together and thrown in a pieshell.

o

Khandi,
I just made and tasted the tart and it is delicious; really not too sweet. However, I used a Pillsbury refrigerated crust and the bottom was soggy and looked underdone. Should I pre-bake the shell the next time?

o
pie shell

I've never used Pillsbury refrigerated crust. Actually, I don't like pie crust that you buy at the supermarket. I find they brown too much too fast. My mother makes a bunch of dough for me, and I separate and freeze it until ready to use. (I can bake anything, except I can't make pie dough! hahaha At least not like my mother!)

Maybe you should prebake it a little next time if you use the same crust.

Glad you liked the filling. I've never tried it, but my mom has and says it's really good!

o

Sorry for the delay.

Here is the recipe.

You can follow it as is, or do what I do and just add the flour, sugar, yeast and salt into the food processor. Mix the milk with the eggs and add that to the flour mixture and then process. Add the butter and continue to process for a few seconds to knead. Then finish the kneading by hand for a minute or two. I double the recipe.

Ann

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Tarte au Sucre
==============
Sugar Yeast Cake

This yeast cake with a sugar topping is popular in the North, which is sugar beet country. you can double the quantitiy of dough and use half for 'pain brioche', a rich bread that the French like to toast for breakfast.

4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar

Dough

1/3 cup of milk
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 cups flour (more as needed)
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
. Make the yeast dough. Put the lukewarm milk in a small bowl, add the
sugar and add the yeast. Leave to proof. Sift the flour on a marble
slab or board and make a well in the center. Add the eggs, salt and
dissolved yeast mixture. Briefly mix the central ingredients then draw
in the flour with both hands, pulling the dough into large crumbs with
the fingertips. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes or until very
smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary so that the dough is
not too sticky. pound the butter to soften it thoroughly, then work in
into the dough, slapping the dough on the work surface, just until the
butter is thoroughly incorporated. Transfer the dough to a light oiled
bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until almost doubled in
bulk. Thoroughly butter the pie pan.

Transfer the risen dough to a floured work surface and fold it in
thirds, patting it to knock out the air. flour your hands and flatten
the dough into the base, not the sides of the pan. Let rise for 15
minutes and then spread with soft butter and sprinkle with the brown
sugar. Let rise for 15 minutes and then bake for 15 or 20 minutes in a
400F oven. Serve at room temperature.

For
Pain Brioche

After folding the risen dough in thirds on the floured work surface,
shape into a rectangle and set in a buttered 20 x 10 x 6 cm. loaf pan
and leave to rise for about 30 minutes. Brush with an egg glaze and
bake in 400F oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

o

i just LOVE yeasty doughs and that one looks good enough to make me want to mess with flour one more time, ann. really lovely!

o

Khandi,
Don't tell your mom, but I made the pie using Pillsbury sugar cookie dough as the crust. It looked gorgeous but I didn't taste it B/C I gave it to a dear friend who lost her mom. Hope to duplicate the recipe soon so that I can taste it.

Thanks again for a "keeper."

o

AnnT, I don't know how I missed this recipe before, but thank you so much for sharing. I made this today and it was such a lovely recipe! DH will certainly appreciate the new addition to my Friday dinner. Thanks again!
VAgardengirl

o

You are welcome Vagardengirl. You can use the dough for other things too. I made a Chocolate Brioch/Babka this week using the same dough.

Ann

o

AnnT, I can see the additional applications with this recipe! Just adding dried fruits and a grating of almond paste would also make a lovely cake. =) It really yields a lovely dough.
It was a hit for breakfast coffee this morning. Thank you again!
VAgardengirl

o

Vagardengirl ,
My favorite additions (whatever I'm in the mood for) is adding one of the following to the dough: vanilla extract, orange rind, lemon rind. Other additions have been dried cranberries, raisins & nuts, & chocolate chips hand worked into the dough.

Lucy

o

Ann, what is the sugar topping like? Where I grew up, there was bakery (Feddersen's) that made a coffee cake with a plain sugar topping that was to die for. The cake was a sweet, rich dough and this sounds very similar to it. I'd like to give it a try this weekend.

o

lucyny, nice to meet you! I think your suggestions sound perfect with this rich dough. I plan to make again for Thanksgiving breakfast using orange zest and cranberries...my Mom will love it! =)
VAgardengirl

o

Virginia, the sugar/butter topping forms a kind of a sugary carmalized crust. Soooo good.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here