Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Final Chapter - Smoke Da Pig

Posted by moosemac (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 14:29

Whew! Well I survived the last few days and here are the promised pictures.

Pig in Brine Under Ice - Put the pig in the brine on Wednesday and took him out Saturday.
Photobucket

Trussed Pig - We made a sling out of stainless steel braided wire. It worked great!
Photobucket.

Rubbed the Pig - Rinse and patted dry then rubbed inside and out with a dry rub mix.
Photobucket

Into the Sauna er...Smoker - At 7PM on Friday, we slid him into the smoker and fired up the woodstove.
Photobucket

The Finished Product - Smoked at 220-250 degrees for 19 hours, here's the finished product. No the skin isn't charred. It's actually dark dark brown because the main wood used to smoke him was oak. I learned too late, if I used Sugar Maple (next year), the skin would have ben golden brown.
Photobucket

The PIG - The guys decided since the pig was smoked, he needed a cigar in lieu of an apple in his mouth. Sunglasses were for his "tan".
Photobucket

Pig Under the Knife - DH nephew, the butcher "volunteered" to carve. The meat was juicy, tender and flavorful, a home run!.
Photobucket

Spectator Sport - A few of the "supervisors" gathered around to watch the spectacle.
Photobucket

That's All Folks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Final Chapter - Smoke Da Pig

Amazing! And obviously a lot of planning and work went into this project; glad it was a success.

o

Amazing indeed!

What an accomplishment! Congrats on the success - looks delish!

Alexa

o

It does look delicious, good for you for undertaking such a task.

Nothing tastes quite like smoked pig.....

Annie

o

Yummy!!...With 19 hours of that pig wafting smokey piggy fumes....I am surprised you didn't gather a crowd of several hundred and all the nearby dogs!

o

Nothing better than a smoked pig.

And I learned something new. I didn't realize that oak was a good wood for smoking meat.

~Ann

o

Darn....I forgot to send you my address and phone number. LOL
Last time I had smoked pig was years and years ago.....but it was cooked in the ground. Deep pit BBQ.
Yours looks so yummy. And I am drooling.

o

LOL! Smoked piggy with a cigar!

Very good looking smoked/roasted pig. Oak is my favorite wood for pork.

After the feast, there are more good eating ahead. The two aluminum trays of the most delicious juice and fat and what can be better than stock made from smoked pork bones?

If you saw open the big bones, smoked bone marrow is an ultimate delicacy.

dcarch

re: Oak -

"OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game. "

o

I agree, oak is heavy smoke flavor. Too heavy for me most of the time, but I think pork can "stand up to it". We don't use it much, though, because it can overpower more delicate flavors.

Different wood for different applications, you know.

Annie

o

Congratulations on a big job well done!

Cheryl

o

What a feat! I'm exhausted just looking at the pics. Hope you enjoyed all the yummy rewards! Thanks for sharing!

o

Congratulations on your venture into whole pig cookery. Thanks for sharing it with us. BI bet everyone really enjoyed that juicy, smoky pork. What did you do with those pans of luscious drippings?

o

Thanks all.

Ruthanna, Those pans got dumped! DH didn't think I wanted them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here