SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

ann_t --) Waffle recipe question

gwlolo
10 years ago

Hi Ann,

I am planning to try the yeast waffle recipe you posted for a brunch party and have a couple of questions. Hope you see this and chime in :)

1) How much water in the beginning for yeast proofing? I am concerned that it will mess with the liquid proportions in the recipe

2) Have you tried any savory versions? I was thinking to make a variation with jalapeno or some other green chilli and may be some cilantro. Any thoughts or tips here?

3) How far ahead can I make these? I was thinking of making ahead and keeping warm in the warming drawer.. maybe that is not a good idea?

For reference here is the recipe that Ann posted. It is from Marion Cunningham's breakfast book

Yeast Raised Waffles

Source: Marion Cunningham's Breakfast Book

MAKES 20 WAFFLES
1 (2 1/4.) package active dry yeast
2 cups milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for serving
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups flour NOTE: The batter is very thin, intended for regular waffle makers.
I added 3/4 cups additional flour so the batter would be thick enough to make Belgian Waffles.
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Maple syrup, for serving
Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water; set aside until foamy, 8 to 10 minutes. Add milk, butter, salt, sugar, flour, and eggs; whisk until combined. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
Heat a nonstick waffle iron. Whisk baking soda into batter. Pour 3/4 cup batter onto iron; let set for 30 seconds. Lower lid; cook until golden and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with maple syrup and butter.
NOTE: The amount of batter will depend on the Waffle Maker. I needed to use one full cup for each Waffle.

Adding note : per Ann's feedback, I used a scant 2 tbsp of water for yeast in the beginning instead of 1/2 cup and the batter was much thicker. But it worked well.

This post was edited by GWlolo on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:50

Comments (3)