Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Year Did Hobart Stop Making KitchenAid Mixers?

Posted by amck (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 15, 08 at 14:07

I've read many posts testifying to the better quality of the Hobart product. But I don't recall seeing the year that things changed. Would love to know. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Year Did Hobart Stop Making KitchenAid Mixers?

Hobart sold the division to Whirlpool. Deal was made in 1985 but due to anti-trust suits was not concluded until February 1986. Any KitchenAid mixer made by Hobart has the Hobart name on it.

Carol

o

Thanks, Carol!

o

I also think there was a change that Whirlpool made early on to go to plastic gears and after those had problems they went back to using metal. Therefore there is a time range when the KA mixers were particularly prone to trouble.

I bought one of the later KAs for my son and myself and both have been fine. I think they were both after the change back to metal gears. I use mine pretty heavily including making bread. (I use a bread machine too but sometimes I'm doing too big a batch for that.) We also use the pasta maker and the shredder - when I'm using the shredder the motor is running for a long time. We haven't had any trouble with our newer KAs.

There is one feature in my new KA that wasn't on my 30 year old Hobart (which is still going strong for another son) - slow start. With the slow start feature, the mixer comes up to speed gradually and there is much less of an issue with tossing ingredients out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here