Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have a good, light shrimp salad recipe?

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 14:03

Originally I was thinking fisherman's pie for a special meal for BF and I tonight, but it is so dang hot, I want to make some seafood salad to serve stuffed into an avocado and maybe a tomato. I scored some sustainable atlantic shrimp in the freezer. I can get crab but on my budget it is going to be the chopped up canned stuff. Anyone have a good recipe? I can wing it on the veggies, but a good dressing so far has alluded me. Last time I made it I made a Cooking Light recipe and I was underwhelmed to say the least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have a good, light shrimp salad recipe?

My #1 choice for a seafood salad dressing is AnnT's remoulade sauce.

REMOULADE SAUCE

1 cup Homemade Mayo, or
1 cup Hellmans mayo
1/4 cup Chile Sauce
1 garlic Clove minced
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 tablespoon dijon mustard (Coarse)
splash of Worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons HP Sauce (or A 1 Sauce)
fresh squeezed lemon juice
fresh dill
salt and pepper

Mix all of the ingredients together.

Taste and adjust to suit personal taste. If you like Horseradish, add more,
or more mustard.

o

I like a remoulade on shrimp salad too....but you said "light".
so how about a vinaigrette? I make a salad with shrimp and crab and assorted veggies(onion, celery, cucumber, broccoli blanched and fresh red pepper) and some pasta. I make a basic vinaigrette, but add some mayo to sort of hold it together.

1/3 cup rice vinegar ( or half vinegar and half fresh lemon juice)
2 T mayo...or I suppose salad dressing would work too.
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsps honey
Whisk until well mixed....season to taste...I like lots of dill weed for sea food.

You can add as much or little pasta as you wish...
I remember making it once and unexpected company dropped in for a drink....I said....stay for dinner, and added more pasta and dressing to the salad! Worked fine!
Linda C

o

Both sound good to me. Hmm I too am often underwhelmed with Cooking Light's recipes. Many of them are underseasoned to our tastes.
Let us know which recipe you use!

Linda-- Thanks, I had never thought of using mayo as the emulsifier with EVOO. I normally reach for the dijon, but may also have to add a drop of sugar to cut the bite.

o

I make shrimp salad with boiled eggs, celery, green onions and dress it with mayo with chili sauce, minced chives or finely cut green onions, grated boiled egg, and very finely minced stuffed green olives. I use large shrimp and cut them in good sized pieces. It's simple and it is good. (I give it a sprinkle of Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, which is a seasoned salt.).

o

compumom....the honey cuts the bite.

o

This is a favourite. The avocado isn't stuffed, but part of the salad plate.

Prawn and Avocado Salad
=======================
24 large Prawns/Shrimp
2 Avocados sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped chives
6 leaves of Boston or Butter Lettuce

Dressing
1 cup of Mayonnaise (homemade or Hellmans is best)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 small fresh red chili, finely chopped
1 clove of minced garlic
(Note: Sometimes I use just hot red pepper flakes and sometimes I roast a fresh red
pepper, finely chop and add to the dressing along with the hot red pepper flakes)

Peel and devein shrimp, leaving on tail shell. Cook. Cool and refrigerate. Make dressing by mixing all of the ingredients together. To serve, place one leaf of lettuce on each plate. Place the shrimp on plate and place one slice of avocado between each shrimp. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with chopped chives.

o

Mine is very similar to Ruthanna's, but here's how I make it:

2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chili sauce (medium)
2 green onions, minced
2-3 tsp lime or lemon juice (lime juice preferred)
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
dash of bottled hot sauce or cayenne, to taste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

I use this salad dressing on Crab Louis, which is always made with an avocado half in the middle, filled with crab. In an emergency, I can substitute fully cooked asparagus for the avocado and have even used canned asparagus as a substitute, even though it is a bit soft.

Lars

o

Thanks to everyone who posted. I ended up making an amalgam dressing. I was going to mix mayo and chile sauce, a bottle of which I had in the pantry for just this type of occasion. Sadly I gave away all my own home canned chile sauce that I made last year. But I found a half jar of salsa in the back of the fridge, so rather than have two half used condiment jars in my tiny fridge, I dolled up the salsa. So my dressing consisted of two big dollops of mayo, two big dollops of salsa, the juice from the can of crabs, a big dash of lime juice, and a big shake of Mrs. Dash's Cajun seasoning and also some lime chile seasoning that JessyF gave me. Man I love that stuff. And a big shake of garlic powder for BF. My shrimp were tiny and I couldn't find affordable avocados so I only had half of one, so I didn't bother to make a composed salad. It was sort of clean out the fridge salad anyway, the lettuce was some less than stellar iceberg which we had languishing in the fridge. To that I added some artichoke hearts, Spanish olives and radishes for the color, a couple of scallions, two stalks of celery, the half avocado, and topped with tomatoes when served. The tomato came from the local "farm" market which is really not a farm market, and it might as well have been an apple for how "crispy" it was. I liked the salad except for the Spanish green olives. I added them because BF likes them, but come to find out, he doesn't like crab! I have never liked green olives. They weren't a bad idea, just not something I care for. Glad to know now that BF doesn't like crab, because I can save a whole lot of money not ever buying it or making him crab cakes. And now I know what to order when we go out!!

Here's the pic:

Next time I make shrimp salad I might try marinating the shrimp in a vinagrette, just to try something new. Or Ruthanna's remoulade, which is a great dressing for a lot of salad types!

o

Guys, that's not my dressing recipe. It's AnnT's.

o

It sounds yummy. I would have done something really simple. Fresh lime or lemon juice whisked with olive oil, s&p, a pinch of sugar or honey, and some fresh herbs.

Eileen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here