Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
did you ever freeze cooked bacon?

Posted by stacy3 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 13:48

ok, to put it mildly, I'm not a morning person. To get up and get my act together to make some grandiose (well, actually even a non-grandiose - hee hee!) breakfast before school is just unfathomable to me.

Will has always been fine with this - as he typically doesn't want to eat much in the morning. - a pb and banana sandwich, or a bowl of cereal, or a container of yogurt is usually fine.

But, after tasting blueberry pancakes recently, he wants them every day! I made some and froze two in each freezer bag - and plan to make more next week...but he always asks if there's any bacon. Please don't tell me how quickly I could fry up a slice or two - lol. I know that.

I'm just wondering if I could make some bacon - put into freezer bags and have his entire "homemade" breakfast in the freezer - HA! really! Or would it get too crumbly?

I get up and hang out with him and chat and stuff while I have some coffee. I'm just not into dirtying up the kitchen that early and frankly my mind's foggy - it might not be that safe ;-).

Thanks, Stacy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: did you ever freeze cooked bacon?

Dunno about freezing but I used to fry extra bacon (don't let it get too crispy) and maybe some sausages on the weekend place in a baggie and refrigerate. Then just reheat in the microwave at the same time as the pancakes are reheating. I'd do enough for the week which wasn't much for a kid.

Worked fine...well fine enough for her!

o

Stacy, I'm so not a morning person either. I have a great Nordicware microwave bacon tray that takes no time. Each slice takes a bit over a minute to cook. Also Oscar Meyer has pre-cooked bacon that you nuke to warm up, so that's an option too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordicware

o

I do it all the time. I cook the bacon to about 80% done, drain, lay on a clean cookie sheet and freeze, then dump it all in a zip lock bag. I ususally do 2 or 3 lbs at a time, as it doesn't mess up the kitchen anymore than one pound does!
While we try not to eat a ton of bacon, doing it this way makes it easy to grab a slice or two and nuke them for a recipe or for a sandwich, etc.
I also freeze pancakes and french toast as well as sausages, as I am already gone to work when my daughters get up. This way they can have a warm breakfast with minimal mess or clean-up.
Jane

o

Yes, Stacy, it freezes fine. Just nuke for 15-20 seconds as you're putting the pancakes on Will's plate & you're good to go!

DH isn't a morning person either. I drive him nuts 'cause I'm always up before 5:00 a.m. & ready to start the day. By the time he's moving, I'm ready for a mid-day nap! :)

/tricia

o

If you want to do a bunch at a time before freezing, you can bake it in the oven. That's how I always do it, because I hate the clean up at any time of day! I lay the pieces side by side on a cookie sheet (mine is more like a jelly roll pan with higher sides than a cookie sheet) or in a frying pan and bake at 400 degrees.

When it's about half done I flip them over. They turn out just the same as when cooked on the stove. I've done it in the toaster oven too, but that makes me a little nervous.

o

I freeze extra cooked bacon all the time. Handy for salads, sandwiches, etc.

Here's another idea that might work for Will's Blueberry Pancake kick...

Make a bunch of the pancakes, all the same size.
Cook the bacon.
Cook half as many eggs as you have pancakes.
Assemble pancake sandwiches (pancake, egg, bacon and top with a second pancake).
Put each sandwich in a zipper bag and freeze.
Reheat in the microwave on a plate. Eat as a sandwich or top with syrup.

Not that hard to have a couple of weeks worth of fast breakfasts.

BTW....it takes me two hours to wake up....unless I really have something fun planned....like shopping.

Nancy

o

I'm the same way Nancy. I can get up with gusto for those wee hour after Christmas sales.

o

hee heee - I didn't expect true confessions - LOL.

thanks for all the help! and the giggles.

o

Stacy - I do it all the time. I usually cook a pound at a time, then pull out a couple slices as needed. Wrap it tightly so you don't end up with ice crystals forming in any of the fat streaks.

o

Stacy, I usually get up from 4:30 to 5:30 because I can't sleep any more, yet I can't get going and don't offer anyone breakfast until 9:00. So you can see you are not the only one. I would do as some other here suggest, cooking it until nearly done, wrap well and nuke the next morning. It probably wouldn't be something for a sophisticated pallette but good enough for our kids.

o

That pre-cooked bacon is pretty good. There are several brands and I like everyone I've tried. 30 seconds in the microwave and voila! Bacon! I hardly ever buy the stuff I have to cook anymore. This is the lazy...oops....easy way!

Duane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here