Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trsinc- Zucchini recipe

Posted by solsthumper (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 2, 08 at 13:43

Trsinc, this recipe yields 8 thin pancakes, about 6" in diameter. As you can see, these are not paper-thin like crpes, but thin enough to roll.

Zucchini Pancakes

2 cups grated zucchini
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons melted butter (more for greasing the pan)
cup AP flour
1 tablespoons water
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Black Pepper and Salt to taste *
teaspoon grated nutmeg

Serve with:

6 ounces double cream brie
roasted tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Combine all pancake ingredients in a bowl, except for the water.
Mix until smooth, then add enough water to make a thin batter (you shouldn't need more than 1 to 1 tablespoons). Mix until just combined.
For 6-inch pancakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter to greased pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side.

Serve with double cream brie (or your favorite melting cheese), roasted tomatoes and chives.

*Add all the black pepper you like, but use a light hand with the salt, as parmesan provides some saltiness. I normally add 1/8 teaspoon salt, and find it's plenty. Enjoy.

Sol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trsinc- Zucchini recipe

Sol, could you come and be my personal chef? And bring good-looking with you. He's getting about old enough for a girl-friend now don't ya think?

Beverly

o

Oh my.....this is on the list for a special dinner I'm having soon.

o

Well, what a nice surprise to log on and find this!! Thank you, Sol. I'm so glad you posted this. Next year I'm going to have 5 zucchini plants (only have one now and it is not trying to take over my yard - like I wanted :) - ) and I bet I'll be making this a lot! I'll definitely be making it this year with my own or with store bought. Have you ever tried your recipe with frozen shredded zukes? I'm keeping that in mind for the hopeful day I have too many to deal with, lol. Most people who grow them are always looking for ways to use the frozen excess. This might be a new way.

Thank you again and I can't wait to make them! Your photo/s are beautiful.

Tammy

o

Thanks for the recipe Sol!!

I've copied and pasted. LOL

Linda

o

Sol, thanks for posting your recipe. Can't wait to try this. I have some yellow zucchini the garden that is destined for your pancakes.

Ann

o

You're very welcome! Enjoy.

Beverly, Thumper and I were down in AL recently, we could've cooked until we dropped. Btw, Thumper just started 4th grade yesterday, and already has his eye on a new classmate. Do you think it's too early for me to start worrying?

Tammy and Ann, I'm a little jealous because I have to buy my own zucchini.
Tammy, I've never tried frozen zucchini in this recipe, but I'm sure it would work. The only thing you may need to do, is (once it's thawed) place the zucchini in a kitchen towel, take it over to the sink, and squeeze the excess moisture out of it, then proceed with the recipe.

Ann, Sam and Thumper eat these pancakes straight out of the pan. No filling, no nothing. Savages [G]

Sol

o

I wish I had known you were here Sol. We could have at least had lunch even if we didn't cook it.

Yes, you have plenty to worry about. Katie is in kindergarten and all she talks about is Ethan. They learn tooooo early these days!

o

Now wait a minute here, Thumper is supposed to be waiting for the Monkey Princess! (grin)

I have zucchini in my freezer, mine didn't do so well this year, it was too dry, but I'm going to try it with the frozen stuff, I'm tired of zucchini bread.

Annie

o

I'm at the lake this weekend - miles away from a market where I can buy Brie - I have all the other ingredients to make this dish. So, any other suggestions of what I could serve it with in place of the Brie? Thanks!

o

OMG these are soooooo goood. Made them the other night and served them as a side with Brisket.

Ate the leftovers the next day. The only thing I did different was to add a little garlic to the mix.

These are going to be a regular around here.

Amck, I think they would be great with sour cream, or chevre, or a creamy gorgonzola, or like I served them with gravy. Beef, Chicken, Pork, or just by themselves.

Thanks again Sol.

Ann

o

Looks like a great recipe. Is it important to "core" the zucchini before grating? i.e. to discard the seeds in the middle? seems like a lot of recipes using zucchini tell you to do this. I never understood why.

o

elphaba - I think coring depends on the size of the zuchinni. The tender smaller ones will have a consistent texture when you grate them, but some of the humongous ones with large seeds will be watery and bitter unless you core them. I'm pretty sure that's why they should be cored.

I don't tend to buy/use large ones. But my MIL loves to grow them big and will gift me with them. So sometimes I'll core them and bake them with a tomato/vegetable/cheese stuffing because I feel obliged to use them.

o

Mmmmm, I've copied and pasted your recipe, too, Sol. Thanks.

None of my squash, and I planted several different kinds, survived the squash vine borers. :-( So, it's store bought for me this year. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe, even if it's with store bought zucchini.

Sally

o

I made these yesterday and served them with a dinner of grilled salmon, fresh corn, whole grain pilaf and a plum tart for dessert.

The whole meal was great, but these were new to everyone and were a big hit. I didn't have brie on hand, so served them with chevre and roasted tomatoes. So good!

o

Well I "almost" made these last night but at the supermarket I got confused when what I thought was zucchini was labled "green squash". Today I see that the food dictionary on epicurious does not list green squash, so I am not feeling quite so stupid. So what do you think, was it zucchini?

o

I've seen zucchini, both yellow and green labeled as summer squash. What did your squash look like? Did it have a skin/peel rather than a hard shell? If it looked like zucchini it probably was.

Ann

o

Happy to know you liked them Ann and Amck.
Sam considers this fast food because she likes to grab one on her way to work.

Foodonastump, zucchini is sometimes referred to as green squash, so, like Ann, I'm thinking that's what they were.
Enjoy everyone.

Sol

o

thanks sol. I will be making this soon. I looked the other day for double cream brie -but didn't find it. Now I see other suggestions too. but dang, I love brie and your photo is so gorgeous.

Ann, I had to laugh - your post just makes them sound so versatile! Made me realize I could make them even without the double cream brie...:-)

they would be great with sour cream, or chevre, or a creamy gorgonzola, or ...gravy... or beef or chicken or pork, or just by themselves -- hee hee! I gotta try them!

Stacy

o

Stacy, the recipe is very versatile. I used Sol's basic recipe outline to make potato pancakes for breakfast this morning.

The leftover pancakes might become an appetizer this evening if I can find some decent smoked salmon to pair with them.

Ann

o

Thanks Ann and Sol - yes it had a skin and looked exactly like zucchini so I guess it was. I would have looked for someone to ask, but there were just a couple left and they didn't look in the greatest shape.

o
RE: really good

I just made these and they were really good. Brie sounded heavier than what I felt like having, so I tried chevre which I am not sure I have ever had before. I liked it and together they were excellent. Thanks for the recipe, Sol!

o

Looks delish Ann!

Foodonastump, you're welcome!
I haven't used Chevre with these pancakes, but I love most goat cheeses, so you'd never get a harrumph out of me.

Sol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here