SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkramer60

The Hostesses with the Mostess

pkramer60
9 years ago

I finally made good on my threat to raid Annie's basement stash of canning goods last week. Dad and I drove over and up last Wednesday for a visit. Having been there before I knew I could find what I needed this time of year.

When we arrives about an 1 1/2 hours later than we thought, we spent the afternoon with Annie and her DH, Elery. We talked, we laughed and we laughed even more at the antics of Miss Molly, their dog and our Princess Emma. Those two are now BFF's forever. Imagine a large Sheltie and an 11 pound Shitzu racing through the house and then into the enclosed pool area of the garden! Round and round the pool they went, with a stop for a tussle. The Devine Ms. M would flop on her back and Emma would go at it. Emma's head was in Molly's mouth, Emma countered by body slamming her and going for the throat, all in play. No grumbles or growls were to be heard even when Molly landed on top of Emma. And we took bet on how long it would take for one of them to land on the winter pool cover. Emma "won" but stayed dry.

Annie made a wonderful pasta and cream dish with sausage, Caesar salad, her homemade bread, and a delicious pumpkin cheesecake trifle.

The next morning was a great breakfast of her farm eggs, homemade sausage and homegrown potatoes with more of the bread. I fell in love with the tomato citrus marmalade she had canned. Then we went and she showed us the new house the closed on Monday. It backs right into the farm, has two ponds and even a Christmas tree plot. Then it was off to the farm to feed the animals and pick veggies. She has a surplus of toms, so I took 2 bushels home. I will use some and the rest will go to the local food pantry here. We picked apples off her trees, she dug up potatoes, rutabagas and turnips.

Since I was also in need of baking apples, we next headed out to some of the local apple orchards. Many were still closed but picking has begun. I did get my apples, some Miria corn at a local farm stand, and then headed to another large stand/store where I got 2 monster heads of cabbages and we split a large bag of parsnips. The parsnips, as well as carrot and sugar beets are used as deer bait for the hunter, but the bags are full of human grade also. The parsnips were a whole $2.75! I resisted the mums and the pumpkins, because by now my van resembled a produce truck. Loaded and shopping complete, we headed home to dinner. Grass fed rib eyes, corn, and roasted potatoes and parsnip. Now keep in mind that Molly eats whatever Annie makes for dinner, so Emma got the same. She was in puppy heaven. Dessert was the leftover trifle for the people, and the pups got some whip cream.

It was time for us to head out on Friday morning, after another wonderful rib sticking breakfast of farm fresh eggs and bacon. Annie also gifted me with a loaf of her bread, tomato marmalade, tomato soup, 2 dozen eggs and 2 quarts of sauerkraut. And out of the freezer came 2 beef tongues, venison and pork chops. Lots of hugs, kisses and thanks were exchanged by all of us and on the road we went with a promise to return in the Spring. I did cave in on the gigantic mum as we passed, but no room for a pumpkin. Emma slept on my lap the whole way home. Once here, I swear she was looking for her new friend. She also didn�t want her kibble anymore, Annie spoiled her.

All three of the Barnes have hearts of gold and fantastic hosts.

Comments (21)

• teresa_nc7
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm not a bit surprised by all the "loot" you left with, pkramer! Both Annie and Elery are known for their larder/pantry/freezer stocking and their generousity to visitors and others.

Had not heard about the new house, though! That is wonderful news! We must have pics and descriptions, Annie! I'm so happy for you both.

Teresa

• chase_gw
    9 years ago

What a great visit. Having met all four of you I can imagine what a grand time you had.!

New house ???? How did I miss that? I need information! LOL

• Related Discussions

To Marcia, The hostess with the Most-ess

Q

Comments (24)
    Sue...how is the fast internet???? The jury is still out on it. I will have a better idea after about 30 days or so. So far I've been out twice, 4 hours each time, and got knocked off a couple of other times. Hopefully 'things' will improve. Might you want/need a celendine (woods) poppy? I'm thinking I saw you had it already. I could maybe try and get you a native hydrangea...if'n you are interested. LMK...it would be from a wildflower 'dig' with my new wildflower loving friend Margie, at her place. She also has what I think is Lady in Red fern...I'm thinking you have it also...do you? Hardy begonia Now that is a new wrinkle with me...never heard of them...but see they are sweet (via Googling). Are yours bulbs? Sue Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Begonia at Nature Hills
    ...See More

Site of the Day Oct 16

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks sent the link to DIL she still entertains. I loved doing things like this in the day
    ...See More

**7th Annual FOTESS Holiday Card Swap**

Q

Comments (293)
    Urooj, thank you for the beautiful jeweled card! I was surprised to receive a FOTESS card, and a little sheepish. I started to join this swap, but the instructions said I needed to have participated in a swap this year, and I'm ashamed to say, if I had, I couldn't remember it. I have not done much in the way of swaps this year at all. Hope everyone is having a great holiday, and again, thank you to JDMom78. I loved it!
    ...See More

~FOTESS 8th ANNUAL DECEMBER CHRISTMAS CARD SWAP~

Q

Comments (410)
    I think we are finished here. THANK YOU ladies for being such fantastic elves! SWAPPING HOLIDAY Cards FOTESS style this month..... Annie ** SENT 12/10 Alana SENT 12/9 Jeanne ** SENT 12/5 ALL CARDS REC'D THANK YOU! Breanne ** SENT 12/26 Margo ** SENT 12/12 ALL CARDS REC'D THANK YOU! Shirley ** SENT 12/11 Amy ** SENT 12/18 Mandy SENDING 12/14 Urooj **SENT 12/14 Melinda SENT 12/10 Ruth ** SENT 12/10 Heidi **SENT 12/12 Jayeanne SENT 12/7
    ...See More
  • Jasdip
    9 years ago

Wow!! Generosity is an understatement! I can well imagine your van resembling a produce truck, LOL

How cute the way you described the antics of the pups. I love seeing animals play. So glad the weather co-operated you had a marvelous time going to the orchards and fruit stands.

Hmmm new house? See the can of worms you opened, Peppi??
    Do tell Annie!! Your house sold to move to the farm, or Elery's house sold? I'm so confused LOL

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

Outstanding report Peppi! I'm glad Augie and Emma got to go with you.

I met Molly, what a sweetie and I am so pleased that Elery adopted her.

I can imagine that raiding Annie's stash was better than getting a free pass at Mariano’s.

• compumom
    9 years ago

What a wonderful visit! I'm not surprised at all. Annie & Elery are such great people and excellent cooks too!

• doucanoe
    9 years ago

I too am not surprised, having been a guest at Annie's B & B!

Sounds like a great time with great friends!

But what? No pictures? (GASP)

And yes, I want to hear about the new house also!

Linda

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Peppi, Molly is still pining for her playmate, I swear. She was a good girl and shared her toys, her chew bones, everything except one favorite that holds treats. I did have to remove the treats and give them to the respective dogs. Wait, maybe that was their plan all along, LOL.

I loved having Peppi and her Dad and the Princess Emma, Elery and I both enjoyed the company and the antics of Emma and showing them the farm and the "new" place. Peppi kindly brought me some dumplings and spaetzle, and kindly translated the instructions for cooking, which were entirely in German!

We ate and talked and watched the dogs and ate and talked some more. It was a nice break from selling a house, buying a house, fixing a house, and the timing was perfect as I have tomatoes in the garden that aren't even picked yet and I am NOT canning one more of the darned things! I was happy to be able to share and know that they would be used.

OK, so the "new" house. We had planned to build at the farm, but this spring a home came up for sale. It adjoins the farm on the north, and has 24 acres, two ponds and was a cut-your-own Christmas tree farm. The elderly owner was a widower, a retired engineer for John Deere. As a result the house needs serious updating, but mechanically everything works. It has geothermal heating and cooling, an on demand hot water heater, a beautiful room with lots of windows and a cathedral ceiling that overlooks the pond, a fieldstone gas fireplace. It also has a lot of dark paneling, some old laminate walls in one bathroom with gold starbursts, and pink ceramic countertop tiles in the kitchen. So.....if you had your choice would you have orange formica countertops or pink ceramic tile countertops? (grin)

Anyway, the bottom line is that we closed last Monday and will gut the kitchen, tear down the paneling, then start on floors, bathrooms and siding. Oh yeah, did I mention that there is siding on the house facing the road, but not on the back of the house where no one could see? Yeah....

It was immediate occupancy and less than it would cost to build and Elery loves the location, with his own personal pond stocked with bass and bluegill right out the front door. It adjoins my pasture, so my view will be water instead of forest and pasture, but that's OK. I'm sure you'll all hear me b*tching and moaning about all the remodeling, which I just hate.

And no, I'm not picking out paint colors. I'm using the same colors I used in this house, I am NOT doing that to myself again!

Elery's house in Jackson sold last year and I have a buyer for this one, if I can manage to ever complete all the minute "issues" the FHA inspector wants us to "correct". He comes again tomorrow morning to inspect our latest round of "corrections", so cross your fingers!

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 0:51

• Islay_Corbel
    9 years ago

That all sounds like something straight out of a beautiful Hollywood film! Glorious!!! And such firm friendships made. Lovely way to start my day, reading this.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

wow and wow! The visit sounds perfect. Congrats on the new house, Annie! it sounds marvelous! do save those pink tiles for some recycle project so that you'll always be reminded of what was... :O)

If I'm ever out that way I want to be able to visit you and Elery! have some great food, do fun things, and see the new house with the view of the water, of course. :)

• triciae
    9 years ago

Oh Annie, I'm so excited for you! I know how much you've wanted to live at the farm. The renovating will eventually be finished and, maybe, you can watch Copenhagan grazing while you cook! That and the pond sounds like a winner, to me.

Congratulations to you both.

Oh, also glad all of you had a fun visit!

/tricia

• ann_t
    9 years ago

Annie congratulations on the new home. Perfect that it joins your farm. Sounds like this was meant to be.

~Ann

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

what great news and a fabulous visit, your life is never boring Annie, lol....

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    9 years ago

Goodness! Hostess with the Mostest.

Annie you the bestest,

That I can attest.

Together with friends, what a way to decompress

all the stress.

So what’s your address?

Allow me to visit and be a pest.

dcarch

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

Good DC!

I didn't know the closing would be so soon, great! Hey, I enjoy remodeling and the property sounds like a destination.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Elery just loves the location, the pond, and the fact that he can't see any cows from his front window, LOL. I told him that a house can be fixed, but a location cannot, so remodeling it is.

Dcarch, visit anytime. (grin) Let me know when you're going to be in Michigan and I'll give you directions...

Cathy, that goes for you too, but if you're going to help remodel I have just a couple of rules. No color, neutrals and wood only, and no useless decorative crap for me to dust! The front room finally has my tall ceilings and lots of windows, so I intend to keep some empty space in there, while Elery is already planning on filling the built in shelves with "stuff". I suggested putting doors on them so I don't have to see anything on the shelves, but I don't think he's going for it. (sigh)

I'm going to look at kitchen cabinets Friday, we've been looking and frankly, no matter who builds them, they all look pretty much the same to me, so I'm going with well-built, I guess. I don't want "rustic" as I don't think my kitchen needs to resemble my barn, but that's as far as I've gotten. Well, I actually am leaning toward antique white, but Elery wants woodtones. I do get double ovens, replacing the current wall oven, and the ovens are electric with a gas cooktop, so it's the best of both worlds, I think.

Ann T, it IS perfect that it adjoins the farm and it adds 24 acres, so I could feasibly fence off about 10 more acres of pasture if I can get some of those darned Christmas trees out of there. Peppi suggested contacting local contractors and telling them I have mature trees, so that, along with the cut-your-own tree project, might get rid of some. I think I'll teach The Princess and Her Brother how to make evergreen wreaths and garlands, they could maybe make a few bucks selling some of those. Of course, Elery already has some of the property "staked out" for deer hunting, so I can't interfere with that.

Tricia, unfortunately, unless I fence the front yard, I won't be able to see Copenhagen, but at least I can walk up the path a few hundred yards, open the gate and I'll be right in HIS front yard, i.e. in the pasture.

This is the view from the living room window and, coincidentally, from the kitchen window:

Annie

• Islay_Corbel
    9 years ago

GORGEOUS!

• mtnester
    9 years ago

Oh, what a lovely view! It all sounds wonderful (except for the remodeling and hard work ahead of you, that is). Nice that you will still be living in the same neighborhood, too, and within walking distance of your family farm.

Good luck, and I hope the transition goes smoothly!

Sue

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Congatulations on the gorgeous new digs. This is exciting. Enjoy in the best of health.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

Thank you, it'll be interesting for a while, that's for sure. Dave and Elery and I spent quality time in the kitchen yesterday with a sledge hammer, and now it's an empty room, right down to the studs. Next up? Tearing down paneling so we can put up drywall in three or four rooms....

Good thing I'm about done canning for the year!

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    9 years ago

OK, this is off topic but I think it does relate to forum get togethers. I think you still need to build on the farm . . . a cottage . . . for me! ;) Can I be your hired hand??

• mustangs81
    9 years ago

I didn't think you were that close to being in! Great that you can start the demo so soon.
    So something like this is out of the question??? LOL