SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkramer60

The Hostesses with the Mostess

pkramer60
9 years ago

I finally made good on my threat to raid Annie's basement stash of canning goods last week. Dad and I drove over and up last Wednesday for a visit. Having been there before I knew I could find what I needed this time of year.

When we arrives about an 1 1/2 hours later than we thought, we spent the afternoon with Annie and her DH, Elery. We talked, we laughed and we laughed even more at the antics of Miss Molly, their dog and our Princess Emma. Those two are now BFF's forever. Imagine a large Sheltie and an 11 pound Shitzu racing through the house and then into the enclosed pool area of the garden! Round and round the pool they went, with a stop for a tussle. The Devine Ms. M would flop on her back and Emma would go at it. Emma's head was in Molly's mouth, Emma countered by body slamming her and going for the throat, all in play. No grumbles or growls were to be heard even when Molly landed on top of Emma. And we took bet on how long it would take for one of them to land on the winter pool cover. Emma "won" but stayed dry.

Annie made a wonderful pasta and cream dish with sausage, Caesar salad, her homemade bread, and a delicious pumpkin cheesecake trifle.

The next morning was a great breakfast of her farm eggs, homemade sausage and homegrown potatoes with more of the bread. I fell in love with the tomato citrus marmalade she had canned. Then we went and she showed us the new house the closed on Monday. It backs right into the farm, has two ponds and even a Christmas tree plot. Then it was off to the farm to feed the animals and pick veggies. She has a surplus of toms, so I took 2 bushels home. I will use some and the rest will go to the local food pantry here. We picked apples off her trees, she dug up potatoes, rutabagas and turnips.

Since I was also in need of baking apples, we next headed out to some of the local apple orchards. Many were still closed but picking has begun. I did get my apples, some Miria corn at a local farm stand, and then headed to another large stand/store where I got 2 monster heads of cabbages and we split a large bag of parsnips. The parsnips, as well as carrot and sugar beets are used as deer bait for the hunter, but the bags are full of human grade also. The parsnips were a whole $2.75! I resisted the mums and the pumpkins, because by now my van resembled a produce truck. Loaded and shopping complete, we headed home to dinner. Grass fed rib eyes, corn, and roasted potatoes and parsnip. Now keep in mind that Molly eats whatever Annie makes for dinner, so Emma got the same. She was in puppy heaven. Dessert was the leftover trifle for the people, and the pups got some whip cream.

It was time for us to head out on Friday morning, after another wonderful rib sticking breakfast of farm fresh eggs and bacon. Annie also gifted me with a loaf of her bread, tomato marmalade, tomato soup, 2 dozen eggs and 2 quarts of sauerkraut. And out of the freezer came 2 beef tongues, venison and pork chops. Lots of hugs, kisses and thanks were exchanged by all of us and on the road we went with a promise to return in the Spring. I did cave in on the gigantic mum as we passed, but no room for a pumpkin. Emma slept on my lap the whole way home. Once here, I swear she was looking for her new friend. She also didn�t want her kibble anymore, Annie spoiled her.

All three of the Barnes have hearts of gold and fantastic hosts.

Comments (21)