SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

bbstx - mango salsa ideas

lascatx
9 years ago

I realized the mango salsa came up on the potato chip thread, so I'm starting a new one for you. Perhaps you will get some other ideas.

DH and I had Spanish Rice last night, and I thought that could be a good way to use some of that mango salsa. This first one is a super easy chicken dish we've made. It appeared in an ad for Pace Picante Sauce, so you might need a new name for the Mango version. ;-) could see adapting it to pork chops seared in the pan and then simmered with the sauce.

Texas Two Step Chicken

4 boneless chicken breasts
1 1/2 c Pace Picante Sauce (regular or thick and chunky)
3 T light brown sugar
1 T Dijon mustard
3 cups hot cooked rice (their recipe says white long grain, but I could see brown going well with the mango salsa)

Place the chicken in a shallow baking dish. Mix salsa, brown sugar and mustard and pour over chicken. Bake at 400 degrees 20 minutes or until chicken is done. (Add some black beans or other veggies and this could be a meal).

The second came from a Pace 40th Anniversary Cookbook.
I found used copies on Amazon, so you could order a copy and possibly find more ideas for the mango or other salsas. They also have recipes on their website (we;;, part of Campbell's Kitchen now, but you can select to search for just Pace recipes).

We have adapted this recipe from Pace's Rio Grande Rice to be our go to for a Spansh style rice.

2T olive oil
1 1/2 c long grain white rice
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder (optional)

Saute the rice, onion and garlic with the oil in a deep sided skillet until rice is just beginning to brown. Add the chili powder an continue to saute about one to two minutes longer to allow the chili to begin to toast and become aromatic. The add

2 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup Pace picante sauce
1 carrot, peeled and sliced or diced

Cover and let simmer about 18-20 minutes. When liquid is nearly absorbed, you can stir in 1-2 cups corn kernels (use fresh, canned or frozen based on availability) and 1-2 cups cooked black beans.

We also make this a meal in a pan by adding diced cooked chicken to it. I think I would add the chili powder to help balance the mango.

Hope those help.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner