Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Half size cheesecake pan--anyone know how large?

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 12:52

BF loves cheesecake but neigher he nor I can eat that much of it so we can't eat a whole 10 inch size one fast enough. I'd like to make cheesecake a little more often so I'm wondering if I get a half size pan if I can just halve the recipes I find? Is a 5 inch diameter cheesecake pan big enough for a half recipe? Does it really matter? If I make it in a little larger pan, will it just be flatter? Could I possibly bake it in muffin tins? If so, what about how long to bake it? I love the idea of making some in muffin tins and then freezing for later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half size cheesecake pan--anyone know how large?

A 5" pan is only 25% of the area/volume of a 10" pan. A 10" pan has an area of 78.54, while that 5" pan is 19,63.

o

Yes, I knew the math didn't add up, that's why I was asking. I'm wondering if I can just use a pie tin or cake tin? I hate to go out and buy something if its not necessary.

I usually bake my cheesecake in a bain marie but I guess you don't absolutely have to, particularly if it is a small one, right?

o

Lpink,

Cheesecake freezes very well. Use your regular sized pan. Cut the cheesecake into slices. Place a small piece of parchment paper between the slices. Freeze. When you want a piece, remove a slice or two from freezer and allow to come to room temperature (the way cheesecake should always be eaten!). No need for more pans. I've always got 2-3 different types in the freezer because there's only two of us also.

/tricia

o

Another good idea is to make them in mini muffin cups. My mother used to do that with a vanilla wafer as the crust and pour the cheese mixture on top. For decoration she'd add a glazed cherry or berry mixture. They were very pretty and just about bite sized. This looks like the recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Cheesecake Bites

o

I don't know what your cheesecake recipe is, but I can make a "small" cheesecake in a regular cake tin. It's not as tall as the 2 1/2 pounds of cream cheese cake I make in a 9 inch pan (I never use the 10 inch pan) but it's a cheese cake and tastes like one.
I have a nest of spring form pans...a 10 inch a 9 inch and an 8 inch....mostly I use the 8 inch pan....because it fits nicely on my favorite tall cake server. Also Cheese cake freezes very well....and a couple of slices of cheese cake in the freezer is like money in the bank.

Cheese cake in a cake pan....works best on a pan with a removable bottom.

Crust...I butter the pan very very well...soft butter spread on thickly. Then I place 1/4 cup of ground nuts...I like almonds or pecans, mixed with 1/4 tsp cinnamon....and sprinkle in the pan, tilting the pan so the nuts stick to the butter.

Cake
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese at room temp.
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps flour
1 tsp vanilla

pour the cake into the "crust" and bake at 375 until the center jiggles only very slightly, about 45 to 50 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar and let it sit for 30 minutes. Cool before chilling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here