Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chiken Wings - how long to bake?

Posted by punamytsike (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 12:38

I love Costco Tequila Lime Flavored wings but I thought I will try to reduce my food bill and make my own wings from now on. In addition to saving money (hopefully ;) ) I can try different sauces as well.

Now my confusion comes from seeing different baking requirements from low of 350d for 30min to high of 450d for 45min. Can you please tell me your experience, how long you cook your wings? Also any of your favorite wing recipes are very much appreciated as well.
Thanks

PS, I do not have a grill and do not want to mess with deep frying, so I really want to make them in the oven.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chiken Wings - how long to bake?

Wings are one of the very few things I deep fry, but if I were to bake them I would go for higher heat (425-450) and bake them until the skin looks how I want it. My guess would be in the ballpark of about 40 minutes. Pretty forgiving - if the skin looks good the meat should be fine, so I would not worry about overcooking.

o

I can't tell you a specific time and temp. I just "wing it".

I can tell you that the original Anchor Bar sauce was a 50/50 mix of Frank's Hot Sauce and butter or margarine. That's still my favorite.

Jim

o

I find that if I cook them at 425-450 degrees the skin gets crisp before the meat is as tender as we like. So, I roast the wings on a baking rack placed over a lipped sheet pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes & then raise the heat to 450 minutes to crisp (takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes depending on how crowded I have the pan).

/tricia

o

Me too, Jim! Speaking of which, I just took a look at my bottle of Frank's which calls for baking for one hour at 425.

I am liking Tricia's suggestion.

o

It's almost impossible to overcook chicken wings. Only thighs are more forgiving in my experience. Indoors or out, I bake wings on a hanging rack at 400. 60 minutes for smallish wings. 75 minutes for larger ones.

o

I'm with those who cook them about an hour...and I di it at 350 for 30 minutes or so flip them, sauce them, jack up thet emp to 425...bake for 15 minutes flip ands auce again.
The only expection siw hen I use a honey based sauce and then I just sauce about 15 minutes before they are done.
As you can see by all the answers, it's not a demanding food! LOL! If they are brown enough, they are done!
And I don't do the "drumettes" bit, I just fold up the whole wing and bake.
Linda C

o

It's kind of funny that Buffalo, N.Y. has attained more fame for this snack, invented serendipitously in a neighborhood bar, than for anything else in it's history.

Seventy miles away, Rochester, N.Y. has its own style of wings using a sweet-sour-hot sauce. But Buffalo wings are more popular, even in Rochester.

Jim

o

Thank you so much for all your input. I will get some wings I try it out :)

o

Hey punamytsike - here is a thread about baked wings that might have some good ideas for you too.

Stacy

Here is a link that might be useful: Baked Wings

o

Same here deep frying & chicken wings go together like mashed taters and gravy.mmmIm hungry for wings now

o

i saw a recipe for wings i liked...it said bake at 325 degrees for 3 to 4 hours...is that too long?

o

I eat them raw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here