SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

what would you do if your stand mixer broke?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

Well, I need to get some advice or sympathy at least... I gotta vent! I knew that the only people who would understand this would be cooking forum friends. "Regular" people just don't get it!

I've had my KA Classic stand mixer for several years now. I bought it used and it was made in 1992 so it's not really new or vintage. The last year or so, it has bee getting a little louder. I thought that maybe the grease was wearing out around the gears. So, I found some directions (and photos) online how to take the mixer apart and replace the grease. I did that, and it was a messy, labor intensive 2 day project. I scratched the mixer in a few places during the process, but I felt good after I got it back together. Then I forgot a washer and had to take it back apart and reassemble it all over again!

When I went to test it out, I turned the lever to the stir position. The thing took off like it was on speed 1879468! I literally thought it was going to take flight (wonder if the space station could use a broken mixer?). I played with the lever for a while and then turned the adjustment screws under the back cover. That slowed the mixer down a little, but it's still too fast. And, now I have no speed 2. Stir and 2 are the same speed now!

So... it's not completely broken, but it isn't working right either. I don't know what I could have messed up when I re-greased the gears, but I sure did something! If something like that happened to you, would you try to fix it (or get if fixed), or would you shop for a replacement?

It's kind of bittersweet... I've had the mixer so long that I'm sentimental about it. However, I would LOVE to have a Jenn Air Attrezzi (though no longer made) instead of the boring KA. A friend came over yesterday right after I tested the mixer and realized there was a problem. He said, "Why are you upset about a mixer. I bet Wal-mart has a cheap one for 10 or 15 bucks you you could go over and grab Or even a wooden spoon!" If looks could kill.... Some people just don't understand!

I don't want to invest a lot into this mixer because I could just get one I'd like more instead if it's not a simple fix. I only paid 25 bucks for it when I bought it back in 2000 anyway.

Anyway, what would you do?!

Comments (43)

• dedtired
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know, Bobby, but you make me laugh.

My stand mixer broke 15 years ago and I never replaced it. I just use a hand mixer that sounds like a truck going uphill when I use it.

Why not try the thrift shops for another KA? Or ebay?

Here is a link that might be useful: This one is cute

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

If it was me I would probably get mine fixed or try to and if I couldn't then replace it. We have had our KA stand mixer since 1978/79. We had the motor rebuilt a couple of years after we got it back in the early 80's. DH was making all WW bread back then and burned out the motor. I have noticed this last year that it smells like the oil is burning. I hate to replace it because they just don't make them like they use to make them. Where did you find the instructions for how to take the mixer apart and replace the grease? Maybe that is all mine needs.

Good luck with your search for a new mixer. Lot of people like the Electrolux and Bosch Universal.
    Clare

• Related Discussions

What color is your KitchenAid stand mixer?

Q

Comments (105)
    What a great thread - I have the original white, lift bowl Model K 5A. And I have to confess that many times over the years I've been tempted by the siren call of those glorious cobalt, pistachio and and chrome machines. But I have a strong sentimental attachment to my Kitchen Aid and I still remember the day my husband and I purchased it. While waiting to have the tires changed on our 1971 Plymouth Duster we wandered across the parking lot to a Best Products store. He spied me eyeing the mixer and encouraged me to buy it. I thought it was too extravagant - we were living on one income and he still had 2 more years of med school. But we had been scrimping and watching every penny and DH was working in the lab on weekends so he bought it for me. I still have the receipt, I use it as a bookmark inside my Joy of Cooking. That was 11/20/1976 and I paid $164.89 for it. And it's also the first thing I look for when I check a bridal registry - it's my favorite gift. Maire
    ...See More

Where does your stand mixer live?

Q

Comments (38)
    Let me clarify (my image download skills are nil!) My mixer sits on a black Ecko brand jelly roll pan on top of the counter. The counter area is a diagonal corner with diagonal cabinets under and over the countertop--therefore the reach into the back of that dark corner is long. The jelly roll pan has a 1/2' lip edge, therefore it is easy to reach in a grasp it and pull out the mixer. No lifting or grapling with a heavy mixer. When it is pushed back, there is plenty of space in front of the mixer to work. The mixer is always plugged in, and the cord just sits behind the mixer when it is pushed back. The jelly roll pan has six little slider feet adhered to the underside. These are the sliders you stick on the bottoms of wooden chair legs. You can use felt, rubber, silicone, or plastic. Just place them on the corners and on the middle edges. The mixer sits on top of the pan and slides forward very easily -- and it never moves around when mixing - I have a textured formica countertop. Since I have a black cook top, the black jelly roll pan mimics the same look. I've put in too much wet stuff in the mixer bowl and had it slosh out -- but the pan keeps it from going all over the place. At most, I dribble flour in the pan when adding extra flour to a batch of bread mixing. It's easy to just wipe up. Since the mixer is tucked under the upper diagonal cabinet, it rarely gets dirty from other activities. In my kitchen, it has about 1" of clearance.
    ...See More

Do you have a cover for your Mixer?

Q

Comments (42)
    I would guess Verzi is selling the covers. Monica popped in several months ago--or was it longer--and told us her dh (from the wedding) had committed suicide. She sounded a mess, and I so hope she has found some help; I felt just terrible for her. As I recall, she bought a new house and showed us some pictures. Wish she would post again. Eta I just turn my bowl upside down and lay it on the mixer to keep the dust out.
    ...See More

Where does your stand mixer and food processor live?

Q

Comments (50)
    Holly - from the KDs I talked with, all of them were figuring the Rev-a-shelf, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours is too. Most of them didn't even seem aware that K&V made one, let alone that it had the gas cylinder. I haven't used the Knape & Vogt one, so I honestly don't know how much of a difference there is between the two...I'm just going by other things that I've had the gas assist cylinder available for in life and those worked more smoothly. I'd hate to steer you toward something that I have no first hand experience with...so, definitely look into it more. I didn't find a lot of info out there on the K&V. I did wind up buying mine online through Home Depot, but I didn't see it at the stores (when it arrived, it was shipped directly from K&V, I think) - it seemed that they had the best price that I was finding on it overall. Still more expensive than the R-a-S one though. Here's the HD link: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203303465?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=knape+vogt+appliance&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203303465#.UWGPBVejslU And here it is from Kitchensource: http://www.kitchensource.com/cau/kv-hal-1.htm#body_page_header As near as I can tell, the R-a-S one has a pull-bar type mechanism that runs under the board where the mixer rests and the K&V one has the "buttons" to release built in along the sides of the mechanism - they are the two darker grey things you see at the bottom front of the mechanism. Mine's sitting in my basement just waiting...I wish that there was an easy way to test it.
    ...See More
  • vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my Dedtired... I can't fathom not replacing or fixing it. It's my favorite kitchen toy! I need some kind of stand mixer... doesn't have to be a Kitchen Aid specifically, but I need some kind! I may just buy something else as an an early birthday present to myself. I can't think of anything else I need/want. When I have time I'll play with it a little more. I posted on the Kitchen Aid forums as well, so I'll see if I get any responses there.

Clare, I'll post a link for you or anyone else who wants to see the site that I used. It has great pictures of the innards of a KA stand mixer (gears only, not motor). Mine looked just like this. I was pretty surprised to see what it looked like inside! But I'll warn you it's not exactly easy (especially to get back together) for someone like myself who isn't mechanically inclined. If you are your spouse are mechanically inclined, you'll probably breeze through it. Knowing what I do now, I woudn't have taken mine apart unless it had absolutely stopped working and I was getting ready throw throw it away. These disasters always start out with the best of intentions, don't they?!

Clare, I couldn't own the Lux or Bosch, I want a pretty mixer too! They are just too utilitarian.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to fix (I mean break) your mixer...

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I have a Kenwood Major (next size up from the Chef) which I bought secondhand twenty years ago. Since then it has had at least two major overhauls costing $200+ but to me it is worth it. They don't make the Major any more and as I do a lot of semi-commercial baking I need a biiig mixer and the KA wouldn't even come close. I also have to scour the internet for replacement beaters etc as they are also almost impossible to find.
    A neighbour who has a secondhand shop sold me a newer model of the Major (unfortunately parts aren't interchangeable) which was discarded by its previous owner because the catch that holds it down while mixing doesn't function but, hey, I don't mind holding it down while it mixes. That's my travelling mixer and the one I guess I will eventually move on to if/when the first one finally goes to mixer heaven.
    If I could get a Major new I'd seriously consider it even though they are quite expensive.
    So I guess my answer is, if I had a mixer I loved I would either get it repaired professionally or buy the same one again.

• bri29
    15 years ago

I'm half tempted to tear my Kitchenaid down to see if I can help you fix the speed controller. If you used the instructions in that tutorial, you shouldn't have tweaked the speed controller, but anythings possible. You might check to see if the spring attached to the speed controller got hung up on something in reassembly. That could account for the first and second speeds being the same.

Not that you want to tear it down again, but you may be able to find something... Sorry to hear about your mixer, I'd be crushed.

Bri

• cseim
    15 years ago

I think it might be time for a new mixer. Sometimes when things break, they're just never the same again. Plus, it could get a little dangerous if it goes haywire. That's not to say I don't sympathize with you. I think we get very attached to to some kitchen supplies that we use most often. For me, a mixer brings back memories of all those years of baking Christmas cookies with my little sister.

I know they almost seem too popular now, but I really do love my KA Artisan stand mixer. It is wonderful to work with and really does look really pretty on my counter!

• bob411
    15 years ago

After reading about the spring possibly being in the wrong place, I got to thinking, maybe it's laying across the contacts of speed one, and speed two. Then I started thinking, the outside of our Kitchenaid is metal. Metal conducts electricity. That sound really, really, dangerous to me. I think it's a bad idea to plug it in again ever, without someone taking it apart, and seeing what's up with it.

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

Bobby,
    I can't imagine life without my KA. I didn't really need a new one, but I'm a shopper. Every time I'm in the kitchen section of a store, I automatically check the clearance section. Last year I found a pistachio KA Artisan on clearance for $129.99 at Kohls. Got it home, checked the KA site and found a $30 rebate which took the price down to around $113 after taxes. There are definitely bargains to be found out there if you have the time/inclination to look for them. Good luck!

Tracey

• User
    15 years ago

Bobby, I have a KA mixer that is now 29 years old. Mine is one of the old Hobart KA. Touching wood when I say "It has never had to be serviced".

I know that you are looking for a "pretty machine" but if you intend to use it a lot I would worry more about how efficient it is rather than what it looks like.

I checked with Consumer Reports. A recent review (September 2008) has the KitchenAid Classic K45SS[WH] at the top of their list and the Hamilton Beach Electrics 6322[1] as their recommended Best Buy Mixer."......The KitchenAid Classic K45SS[WH] excelled at meringues as well as double batches of bread dough. The Hamilton Beach Eclectrics 6322[1], a CR Best Buy, performed very well overall and was convenient to use. It was also the quietest machine we tested. "

• jakkom
    15 years ago

If my stand mixer broke, I'd be weeping hysterically! Like ann_t, mine is one of the Hobart-made KAs from 1975 or thereabouts. Despite the fact it is the ugliest color possible - a harvest gold that has faded to a weird chartreuse-tinged color - it is my most prized kitchen appliance.

I don't make bread so the KA works fine for me.

My niece has no room for a stand mixer, so she bought the Cuisinart hand mixer. She likes it a lot, although like me she bakes cakes, not breads.

• velodoug
    15 years ago

If our circa 1973 made-by-Hobart KitchenAid bites the dust I will try to fix it. If I don't succeed I will probably buy a decent hand mixer and see how long I can get away with just that and our Robot Coupe R2 (which I picked out of the trash at a local restaurant and brought back to life).

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the support everyone! So glad you all could be there for me during this mini-crisis!

I tried to fix the KA again this morning. The instant I woke up, I ripped the it back apart... pretty easy since I'd done it twice already. There was a little grease on the metal strip under the switch and some more on some of the wires so I cleaned that off. I thought that may be interfering with the flow of electricity and causing the problem. So... I put it back together and turned it on to see if I'd fix anything. Much to my horror I heard an awful and loud grinding and clicking noise. I must have stripped gears... I haven't the energy nor desire to keep fooling around with it.

So, I went to Kohls to see what they had. The Kitchen Aids were between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. I didn't want to spend that much just to get the same thing I already had. Then I noticed the Hamilton Beach Eclectrics in black for 170. I decided to give it a try. I could probably find a used Kitchen Aid online somewhere for a similar price, but I try not to buy online if at all possible. I may end up doing that if I don't like the Hamilton Beach. It's not a prestigious brand... but I've been quite please with my HB immersion blender.

When I was picking the box up, and old lady told me I should buy a KA instead, because I wouldn't be happy with the thing that was in my hands. I told her that I had a KA that I ruined and I wanted to try something different. I've seen these mixers online and been curious about them anyway. She said, "Well, Good Luck. At least they have a return policy so you can bring it back when you realize you need another Kitchen Aid." I am so sick of the snob appeal of Kitchen Aid mixers... but I must admit I will miss not having the "holy grail" of mixers if I decide to keep this one or get a Jenn Air Attrezzi instead.

This mixer is black, the KA was white, so the color change will take some getting used to. My KA had 250 watts, this one has 400. This one has a pouring shield (which I think will just get in the way), the KA did not. I have to work today, but I'm off tomorrow so that will give me a chance to put this mixer through its paces. Soooo frustrating to buy a new toy and not be able to play with it immediately. I'll make a meatloaf, a loaf of bread, and maybe a cookie dough recipe... just to try the mixer out of course (I'll have to give the cookies away cuz I'm watching calories!). What other things would you do if you were testing out a mixer to decide if it was the right one for you? Unfortunately, I will not be able to test out durability and there are some reports of the motor burning out on these models. The HB, and the Jenn Air Attrezzi (the other one I'd consider) do not have a power hub, but I've never used attachments on the KA anyway.

I'm just sorry they didn't have the green apple color! I'll report back tomorrow after I've played with the machine a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixer that I'm

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

If you have your heart set on a KA, and it seems that you do, check Craigslist. I see them listed there all the time. A lot of times they are brand new, someone got it as a gift and didn't want it. If mine is going south I will do everything I can to keep it going because it is a Hobart KA. They use to build them to last. Also check Hobart on Craigslist and sometimes you can find an industrial mixer. Now that would be cool! Like this one.
    Clare

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Good luck Bobby. I clicked around KitchenAid's website and found the following Florida countertop appliance repair places; maybe that will work.

Hoppe's Auth. Vac & Appl. Inc.
    1872 Commerce Ave.
    Vero Beach, FL 32960
    Phone: 772-562-4466
    Fax: 772-562-4617

Small Appliance Sales & Service
    13130 SW 128th Street - Unit 3
    Miami, FL 33186
    Phone: 305-801-1426
    888-333-4660
    Fax: 305-278-1184

Southern Electric Company
    510 N. Parramore Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801
    Phone: 407-841-8824
    Toll Free: 800-940-8824
    Fax: 407-841-1108

We have the old charteuse Hobart model too. DH used his student loan money when he was in school to buy that and some good knives. He knew his priorities!

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

KA for me all the way...I have a Hobart from around 1978 that is still fine, but I think of it as my backup. I currently have the 6 qt that I fell in love with a couple of years ago.

Nancy

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I just got back from Costco and they have both 5 QT. Bowl-Lift Stand Mixers,(KSM500 - 325 watt motor) for $179 and the higher horsepower (KV25GOX - 450 watt motor - 6 loaves bread) for $279.

Speaking of mixers, does anyone have the Hobart N50 ($1800)? Are they really still made by Hobart and are not just a KA with the Hobart name plate?
    Clare

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I have two KitchenAids - like Nancy an old Hobart KA and a newer Pro.

But I must say I think that lady was extremely rude. While I've been very happy with my two, I don't think KitchenAid is the be-all and end-all. It's perfectly possible to be happy with another brand, even Hamilton-Beach, LOL.

[Waiting for lightning to strike me as I type.]

Carol

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I don't think it's totally snob appeal for the KAs, Bobby, just that they have a reputation for reliability and durability. A lot of people have the policy of buying a quality item once and using it forever rather than buying a cheaper item and replacing it every two years.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

My MIL has a Hobart that she loaned me while they were on a houseboat for a few years. When they moved back to land in FL she got it back. The quality is almost indestructible and very coveted since they don't make them like that anymore. I would look on E=bay for one if I was in the market. They are industrial quality and what the pro's turn to. Just my 2 pennies.

Duane

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Yes, but . . . those old Hobart KA's do sell for a mint, even on Ebay. And you're buying sight unseen.

I love my old KitchenAid. This is probably one of the fewer occasions when being older pays off. But seeing what they can sell for secondhand, I'm just not sure the prices are justified.

Of course, now that the economy is down perhaps there won't be a bidding war and you will get lucky.

Carol

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I'd save your money and get another KA. Get a color you love. I've had mine for 12 years and it still looks and works great.
    You can find deals if you look.
    In the meantime, use a handmixer.

• User
    15 years ago

Actually Bobby, I think that you did really good. The Hamilton Beach looks like a beautiful machine and as I mentioned above it was noted as the Best Buy by Consumers Report. I wouldn't be concerned about it having the "KitchenAid" name.

Have fun playing with your new toy.

Ann

• bri29
    15 years ago

I wish I was closer to Florida, I'd see if I could fix your KA for you!

Bri

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're very sweet, Bri. Thanks Ann. I must admit, I do like the way it looks. The black matches my dishwasher and coffee maker. I like the chrome looking switch as well. I ran it, and it's much quieter than the KA, but I haven't had the chance to put any ingredients in it yet!

I have comparison pictures. On the left is Old Faithful but broken... the mixer that I got when I was 17 and that actually inspired my passion for baking. And on the right of course is Black Beauty (whom I'm JUST dating... not marrying yet)...

One thing that I already don't like is the button that is in the back to raise and lower the head. I prefer the KA where I can raise or lower it without doing anything... if I want to lock the KA I can... with the HB, I don't have a choice. It locks automatically up or down and the button must be pressed to release it. Same kind of thing with Kirby vacuums... cheaper vacuums have a pedal release button while Kirbys (and Royal), you just pull the handle back. Much simpler, but I digress. Anyway, here's that pesky button. I'm not exactly enthralled with the gray cord either... what's wrong with black or white?

Jessy, I'm going to call the repair shop in Orlando and get a quote before throwing Old Faithful away. Thanks for going to all that trouble. Btw... I AM in communication with a lady on CL who has a KA for 50 bucks. We've corresponded twice already. All I know is that it's a stand mixer. She ignored my question of what color it is. Wonder if it's tilt head or bowl lift. I will want to see a picture before I go traipsing over an hour to Tampa... we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for the support, more details to come as I put the machine to actual use.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I just put the machine through its first test. Honey Wheat bread. Mind you, I usually use the bread machine for bread and don't make it very often (and prefer white anyway), BUT I want to be able to use the mixer for bread if I need to.

The recipe I used had 2 3/4 cups white flour, and 1 cup wheat. I mixed first with the flat beater, then switched to the dough hook. It had enough power to plow through the dough, but boy did it move around the counter. I've heard of mixers "walking" before... well this one must have been sprinting, and dancing at the same time. It is just too light weight to stay steady on the counter. So, I held it down during the kneading process. But still, the head of the mixer jostled to and fro with the motion of the dough hook. It isn't a tight fit at all.

One good thing... the dough did NOT climb the hook as is common with KAs.

I wanted to like the mixer, because it is pretty... but I'm afraid it will be going back to the store for a refund. I may play with it a little more while I have it... and certainly will wait until I get a KA before returning it (I think I have 30 days).

• rhome410
    15 years ago

If it's a Hobart KA, I'd have it fixed by someone who can fix it back to Hobart condition. If they can only put in new KA parts, I don't think I'd do that...Or if it is not a Hobart, I'd replace it. I, personally, wouldn't go with a new KA, though, as so many reviews of them are so bad and we really give a mixer a work out. The new Cuisinart gets good reviews and might be worth a try...I'd sure want to buy from someone with a good return policy, no matter what. None of them seem to have good enough reviews to make me feel totally confident.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

When we first got married, we did a little "shopping" at mom's... I got the spare stand mixer she had used at our camp which had been sold a couple years before. I used to eye the KitchenAid mixers at the store, and tell my husband "when my mixer blows up, I'm getting one of those". Well, after about 14 years or so, my husband bought me the KitchenAid for Christmas. The old mixer never died (of course, I did baby it, and bread wasn't even an option).
    My new one is a shiny black Artisan.
    My old one is a Hamilton Beach that belonged to my great-grandmother, new in about 1945. Mom said she got the mixer not long after they got electricity...
    When my mom came to visit, she did some baking, but never touched my KitchenAid...

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to put a conclusion on the saga, I will be getting a Kitchen Aid tomorrow. It's used. I could buy a new one, but I don't think that's a prudent use of that kind of money. This one is an Ultra Power model in white which is 50 more watts than my Cassic was. And the bowl will fit, so I'll have two mixer bowls now... that's sure to be handy.

So, for an hour and 13 minute drive and 50 bucks, I will once again be a member of the Kitchen Aid family.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

Bobby - Thanks for the link to taking it apart. DH is an engineer and can take car engines apart, and has done so many times, so should be able to tackle this. Your new Hamilton Beach machine looks very nice but performance is what matters. I don't know if I could hold down a 'walking' mixer. So are you taking that back when you buy the used KA? Great that you will have 2 mixing bowls. That could come in handy. Good luck with your new used one.
    Clare

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I know on other forums there's been some discussion of repair issues. The Viking, the Cuisinart, the KitchenAid all have had repair problems post warranty. Of course, there's no way of knowing what the frequency is per capita. Far more people own KitchenAids (of all models and years) than own Viking or Cuisinart (or Kenwood and DeLongo precursors) so it's natural to hear more about KitchenAid breakdowns.

But one of the points that comes up quite often is repair network. It's easier to find parts and repair shops for KitchenAid simply because there are so many of them "out there."

Carol

• lisbet
    15 years ago
  • emmisme
    15 years ago

I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread but I'm in the market for a new stand mixer. Those of you with KA experience, do you prefer the tilt head or bowl lift style? TIA for any input!

• lisbet
    15 years ago

"emmisme" Think your choice should depend on how much and what heavy the use you are going to put your stand mixer through. Only you can determine that! If you are an avid baker, and use the mixer just about every day, I would get the 600 watt pro with the bowl lifter! If ever I should have to replace the one that I now have, that is what I would get. Also consider if you expect to use the attachments, like the meat grinder, ice cream maker, pasta....using these will put a real stress load on your machine....so go for the pro models.

Have had my KA for years now......and still going strong!

• emmisme
    15 years ago

Thanks lisbet for your comments. My main question was tilt head vs bowl lift and after doing more research the bigger KA models (which are more than I need) are bowl lift. So I'll decide between the models with the tilt head.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

emmisme - I have had a tilt head since 1978. I find it very easy to put in all ingredients then put on the correct attachment and down for mixing. It works for me, but then I have never used the bowl lift ones.
    Clare

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I was looking at the bowl lift types, but realized the one I wanted was too tall to keep at the back of the counter under the cabinets.

• misfit
    15 years ago

Bobby if you still have the KA classic you were talking about,keep it! Maybe someday you will run across some one that can repair it. Or if it were me I would at least keep the attachments.
    I had an old (Hobart made) KA that I gave to my niece in South Carolina several years ago. I told her to bring it back on her next trip home. I have a 6 quart pro sitting in my garage colecting dust I will give her in exchange.

KA has a great return/repair policy. 9 times out of 10 if someone sends a mixer back for repair it is completly replaced with another mixer.

For the person asking about the Hobart N-50 mixer. KA does NOT make them anymore. Kitchen Aid has not made Hobart mixers since the mid 80's. Thats when Dart Kraft bought the KA division from Hobart. Later to be bought out by Whirlpool. Whirlpool now also owns JenAir, and Maytag in addition to KA.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Story.

I was visiting my dad couple of weeks ago. We walked into the garage and I saw a box of stuff in the corner destined for charity...on top was a KA mixing bowl. No mixer in sight. I know his wife isn't a KA type of cook, so I put two and two together and asked for the mixer, still in the kitchen. She was happy to part with it. I scored my mom's Hobart era mixer. Now to clean it up and see if it works, hasn't been run in 10 years or so. I'll let DH do the honors, he is more machine oriented and will know what to do in case it needs TLC. Yeehaw if it still works - I can pass them on down to my kids!

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

Well Kudos to you for trying to fix it. If it was me, I think I would take it in and see if you could negotiate an appraisal price for letting you know what it would cost to fix it. Some places I have been to, will take the appliance in lieu of a checking out service fee, if you decide not to get it fixed, because at least then they can turn around and sell it after they have fixed it if you don't want it. Also most places I have been to, don't charge if the appliance turns out not to be fixable.

Good luck, and sorry that it's not working 100%.

Shelley S.

• vacuumfreak
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got rid of the old one after I got the replacement. At first I didn't want to for emotional reasons. Then I thought that it was clutter, and as long as I had 1 good stand mixer, that's all I really needed. In a 1 bedroom apartment with 30 vacuums, I don't have room for multiple mixers! I kept the bowl and whisk and dough hook (the flat paddle was in bad shape).

• azzalea
    15 years ago

What would I do if my KA broke? I'd run down to the basement and grab the other one (I've got both the 5 and 4 quart models). But I guess that doesn't help you much, does it?

A KA that's only about 16 years old is a baby. The one I'm using, I bought in 1973--and it's still going strong. Just used it this past weekend to make the filling for buttercream candy (a stiff, tough job). I'd be inclined to see if it was fixable, I think. And if it wasn't, I'd invest in another--if that was my only stand mixer. A new KA should last you many, many years.

• twoyur
    15 years ago

i killed my original 1981 vintage KA sometime in the mid 90's ( it was that double batch of mrs. fields knock off dough) then I purchased a kenwood that seemed to be indestructible. That is until i made a double batch of Challah dough this weekend I first thought i had blown the built in breaker. ( breakers don't don't have flames) Unfortunately it wasn't that and now I need to find a new mixer. I am thinking i need to find something that is either double proof or learn to make do with single batches. SO... I am thinking I'll see what the 5 quart Hobart will set me back anyone want to toss out some numbers I'm thinking 2K but Ill see

• lindasglassgarden_npgcable_com
    13 years ago

I would Buy a Bosch Universal mixer, they don't break! I just bought a brand new one today. Not because my old one broke, but I ground my own flour and made WW Bread. My hubby only liked white so i sold it all and regret it. They are still selling on Ebay for a good price and some are 30 years old. But I opted to buy new.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleasant Hill Grain