SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msafirstein

Burger Cook-Off...Ideas, Recipes, Alternatives and Techniques

msafirstein
16 years ago

Here are 2 recipes from the Build-A-Better Burger contest and I think I will make bowls of the sauces for a condiment bar.

Portabello Burger

Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained

Spice Mixture

2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme

1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Grilled Portabellos

1/4 cup Zinfandel

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest

4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed

Patties

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck

3 tablespoons Zinfandel

2 shallots, finely chopped

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne

Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack

4 round focaccia rolls or onion rolls, split

16 arugula leaves

1/2 cup (about 4 ounces) fresh goat cheese

Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.

To make the mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise and the sun-dried tomatoes in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

To make the spice mixture, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.

To make the grilled portobellos, combine the Zinfandel, olive oil, lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture in a shallow container and whisk to blend well. Add the mushrooms and turn to coat with the marinade. Set aside.

To make the patties, combine the beef, Zinfandel, shallots, cumin, cayenne, and remaining spice mixture in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.

Drain the mushrooms, reserving the marinade.

When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties and the mushrooms on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until the patties are done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium, and the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.

Brush the mushrooms frequently with the reserved marinade.

During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.

To assemble the burgers, spread the mayonnaise over the cut sides of the rolls. On each roll bottom, place 4 arugula leaves, a patty, 2 tablespoons of the goat cheese, and a mushroom. Add the roll tops and serve.

Makes 4 burgers

Napa Valley Basil-Smoked Burgers

Pesto Mayonnaise

2/3 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto

Patties

2 pounds ground sirloin

1/4 cup Zinfandel

1/4 cup lightly packed minced fresh basil

1/4 cup minced red onion

1/4 cup fresh Italian bread crumbs

8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, finely chopped

2 teaspoons garlic salt

Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack

8 large fresh basil sprigs, moistened with water, for grilling

6 large seeded sandwich rolls, split

6 slices Monterey Jack cheese

6 red leaf lettuce leaves

6 (1/4-inch-thick) large tomato slices

6 paper-thin red onion slices, separated into rings

6 fresh basil sprigs, for serving

Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.

To make the mayonnaise, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

To make the patties, combine the sirloin, Zinfandel, basil, onion, bread crumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic salt in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.

When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.

Toss the moistened basil sprigs directly onto the fire.

Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium.

During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.

During the last minute of cooking, top each patty with a cheese slice.

To assemble the burgers, spread the mayonnaise over the cut sides of the rolls. On each roll bottom, place a lettuce leaf, a patty, a tomato slice, an onion slice, and a basil sprig. Add the roll tops and serve.

Makes 6 burgers

Here is a link that might be useful: Build a Better Burger

Comments (50)

• jessyf
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Two of my favorite turkey burger recipes. This first one I ignore the sausage directions and just grill 'em. I made the second one for my MIL, she's a curry freak, and she asked me to keep it in my 'repetoire' (sp?)

Thai Turkey Sausage - Sunset magazine

Notes: It's easiest to mince lemon grass in a food processor or mini-chopper. For best texture, mince the remaining ingredients with a knife.

Makes: 16 patties; 8 servings

1 pound ground turkey
    1/4 pound green beans, ends and strings removed, minced
    8 green onions, ends trimmed, minced
    1 stalk (5 to 8 in.) fresh lemon grass, tough outer layers, stem end, and coarse leaves removed, minced
    3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
    2 to 3 teaspoons fresh serrano chilies (2 or 3), stemmed, seeded, and finely minced
    2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    About 2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Mix turkey well with beans, onions, lemon grass, cilantro, chilies (lesser amount for mildest flavor), fish sauce, egg, cornstarch, and sugar. Divide into 16 equal portions and shape into 16 patties, each 1/2 inch thick.

2. Pour oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add a few patties, without crowding. Cook until brown on each side and no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 7 minutes total. Remove as cooked and drain on paper towels; add more patties to pan.

Per patty: 73 cal., 53% (39 cal.) from fat; 5.9 g protein; 4.3 g fat (0.9 g sat.); 2.4 g carbo (0.3 g fiber); 107 mg sodium; 34 mg chol.

Curry Turkey Burgers Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
    1 1/3 pounds ground turkey breast, the average weight of 1 package
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    A handful cilantro, chopped very fine, about 2 tablespoons, optional
    1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated or minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    Coarse salt
    2 tablespoons mild curry paste or a handful of curry powder (Preferred brand: Patak's Mild Curry Paste)
    Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
    5 crusty rolls, split
    Toppings:
    Bib or leaf lettuce
    Sliced vine-ripe tomatoes
    Mango chutney (preferred brands: Major Grey's or Patak's Mango Chutney)
    Serving Suggestions: Thai Slaw Salad, recipe follows and root vegetable chips (preferred brands: Terra Chips)

Combine first 8 ingredients and form into 5 patties.
    Brush or drizzle patties with extra-virgin olive oil. Grill patties 6 minutes on each side on indoor electric grill or pan fry for same amount of time in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
    Pile patties on split crusty rolls with lettuce, tomato, and chutney spread liberally on roll tops as a condiment. Serve curry turkey burgers with Thai Slaw and root vegetable chips.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Here are a few recipes FYI

Roasted Pepper and Garlic Turkey Burgers

I am a huge turkey burger fan, and this recipe is a family favorite. The
    red pepper and garlic help overcome the two major complaints people have
    with turkey burgers (dry and tasteless) by adding oodles of flavor and
    keeping the meat moist. Serve these burgers with Aioli or your favorite
    herb mayonnaise, Romaine lettuce leaves, and kaiser rolls or grilled
    sourdough bread.

2 pounds ground turkey
    1 cup chopped roasted red peppers
    6 minced garlic cloves
    3 tablespoons minced onion
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the grill. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl. Gently
    pat the mixture into eight 4-inch patties. Grill over medium high heat for
    10-12 minutes, or until cooked through, turning once partway through.

Makes 8 servings.

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
    Cooking Time: 15 minutes
    Total Time: 20 minutes

Barb's Lentil Burgers
    by Alexander Yotis

1/2 cup brown lentils
    1 bay leaf
    2 medium onions chopped
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    2 tablespoons oil
    1 tablespoon chooped parsley (dried)
    1/2 teaspoon basil (dried)
    1/2 teaspoon marjoram (dried)
    1/4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
    salt and black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
    2 medium eggs
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
    1/2 cup plain flour

Cook lentils with bay leaf till soft, remove bay leaf and drain. Saute garlic
    and onions till clear, add herbs. Mix rest of ingredients, it should be soft
    but workable, make into patties and fry in a little oil and brown on each side.
    You can freeze some patties (1/4-3/8 inch, in gladwrap) and then cook directly from the freezer..

RECIPE: Cuban Fritas (Cuban Hamburgers)
    Posted by Marlen (My Page) on Fri, Aug 15, 03 at 0:33

This is the Cuban version of the good ole American hamburger. It is made into patties and served on plain hamburger buns. A deli close to my house makes them into rectangles and serves them on Cuban bread and they are superb!
    Traditional Cuban fritas are served with a bit of ketchup, a sprinkle of chopped onions and a pile of shoe string potatoes right out of the can  on top of the meat, inside the bun!
    The traditional version also has no lettuce or cheese, but DH sneaks it in and calls it the Cuban-American version! LOLOL
    If the patties are not too firm after I form them, I return them to the refrigerator to firm up before cooking.
    This is my version.

1/2 lb. lean ground beef
    1/2 lb/ ground pork
    2 T ketchup
    1/ 2 c fresh bread crumbs
    1 egg beaten
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 /2 c finely minced yellow onion
    1/4 tsp cumin
    Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients well and form into patties. Fry in olive oil or grill.
    I use my George Foreman grill.

• Related Discussions

Burger Recipes

Q

Comments (21)
    If I going fancy for myself I start with the meat. It has to be local. Wallyworld or grocery store burger can be very bad... unfixable.... something to be covered in sauce and consumed for the calories. Put in another order for 10 lbs of ground cow Tuseday night! Local dairy farmer culls the herd regular to keep milk production high.. lower producing cows become hamburger... that is sold to me "as is"... I also get the liver, tounge, tail and hearts for free. Ground heart makes great chili meat! Burgers... got good meat so I sprinkle it with cayenne powder, cardamon, and black pepper.... easy on the cardamon... extra cayenne if it is going to be a cheeseburger. Pan has to be hot. Grilled is great but I think the best burger patty comes from a smoking hot iron pan greased with bacon grease. It has to sizzle good when it hits the pan. Looking for the meat to turn dark brown... that is the sugars from the meat juices fried onto the burger surface. You have to stand there and watch because at high heat things go from perfect to burnt in just a few seconds. A fine coating of grease on your glasses means you have it about the right heat. I only flip once! Bun needs to be buttered and fried in the pan next to the burger patty. Very easy to burn the bun because of the butter... put it on to cook after flipping and have a plate ready to put it on. I salt the bun when it is toasted and before putting the patty on it. That puts the least amount of salt right where I can taste it the most... salted buttery toasted bread is a treat by itself! I like my toppings cold. I buy cheap american cheese slices just because they seem to be the perfect burger cheese. I know they ain't real cheese but they make a cheeseburger. Fresh leaf lettuce is critical because it adds moisture to the burger. Mayo needs black pepper on it or mixed in it... other wise skip the mayo. Miracle Whip stuffs need not apply for a burger position around here. I like hot onions sliced thin. About all I need for a nice burger... crispy bacon slices are acceptable. If my burger is going to work as my lunch the greens and onions get put in a seperate baggie... the burger and cheese warmed in the microwave then the fresh veggies are assembled. My co-workers drool without shame. MY version of perfect for ME. Others probably have different tastes. I've been known to slip slivers of fresh habenera pepper into the meat in place of cayenne. Thin slices of jalpeno on top are a treat when I'm in that mood. Most of the time I'm in a hurry or out of an item so my burger ain't "perfect"... does not slow me down. : ) lyra
    ...See More

Speaking of burgers - has there been a favorite thread?

Q

Comments (12)
    Dirtgirl107: I put this in a while back. A few have tried iand liked it. LouÂs Italian Hamburgers or Meatballs Do you use your KA for mixing Meatballs ??? I watched many of my relatives making Meatballs, thru the years. Break the eggs on the meat and start mixing with their hands. Then throw some bread crumbs in , with all the spices and keep mixing. Always thought there should be another way to mix the Spices, thru the crumbs and meat evenly throughout.. I did it this way now, for years. Ingredients: 4 ½ lbs. of Ground Sirloin 1 ½ lbs. Of ground Pork ½ Cup of fine chopped Onion ( micro wave 2 minutes ) let it cool. 3 cups of Italian Bread crumbs ( including 1 cup of Corn Flakes, ground to crumbs ) 3 tablespoons of Parsley 1 tablespoon of Salt 1 tablespoon of Garlic powder 1 tablespoon of Onion powder .3 tablespoons of Parmesan Cheese. 3 tablespoons of Powdered eggs or 2 large eggs 1 tablespoon of Chicken Soup base , mixed in 1 cup of warm water, Put the meat into the mixer , in alternate spoonfuls . Use the paddle beater. Turn on low speed to mix. Meanwhile , in another bowl, put in the bread crumbs, Onions and all the spices. Add the Chicken water mixture, if needed add more water, to make a damp mixture. Add this to the meat in the mixer. Everything mixed thru evenly. And the paddle took all the Gristle, from the meat. - - - - - - - - - - - - Measure out the meatballs ( I use an ice cream dipper ) and roll them. Place in an oiled baking pan. And Bake at 350 Degrees for about ½ hour or, Until they are browned slightly or cooked thru. I made 38 meatballs. BUT I stole a piece of the meatball mix and made an Italian Hamburger. It was delicious in a slice of bread , with nothing else on it. Reminded me of when I used to steal a fried meatball and run out of the kitchen, before my Grandmother grabbed the Wooden Spoon. LOU
    ...See More

quinoa burger?

Q

Comments (3)
    I make quinoa patties from leftover cooked quinoa. If you use red quinoa, it actually looks more like a meat product than using white quinoa, if you want to serve them on buns as an alternative to hamburgers. No recipe - add a beaten egg/s (depends on how much quinoa you have), finely chopped onion or fresh chives, parsley, dried vegetable flakes (optional), seasonings of choice (McCormick Grill Mates Barbecue for a bbq flavor, Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle is good, or something less meaty will work as well), cheese (Parmesan, etc.), nutritional yeast (optional), bread crumbs (enough to hold the mixture together). I've also added sprouted lentils (fresh or dried) or dehydrated sprouted navy beans, dried pinto bean or black bean flakes, or mashed cooked beans of any kind will also work. This is something I make with leftovers and anything I happen to have on hand. Pan fry or bake in the oven. They also freeze and reheat well. -Grainlady
    ...See More

meat for a burger not beef.

Q

Comments (32)
    True. Sometimes they just say "mince", as well. But then there's mincemeat, which originally contained meat, but is often just fruit, booze and spices, sometimes with meat fat, nowadays (according to Wikipedia, because it's something I've only heard of and marvelled at--but now that I know it used to have meat in it I understand better why it's called "meat" :) ). Ci_lantro, I'm sure you're right about it being regional. Calling it "hamburger" made me think of old movies where they say the boxer's face looked like "hamburger". I always knew they meant raw ground beef, not sandwiches. :) But they inevitably had some kind of New York or maybe Boston or Rhode Island, accent. Distinctively Northeast, anyway. The kind of guys who called clueless people "mugs". OH!!! "Mugs"! Like 'Muggles"!!! Oh!! Found a cognate! How fun!
    ...See More
  • bunnyman
    16 years ago

Soak the bread side of the bun in butter or burger grease or both and toast/grill it.

Hot onions turn sweet when fried.

Raw sweet onions mixed in with the french frys.

Tiny slices of habenera pepper stuck in the burger... what they make beer for.

Kosher salt... lots of it. Tellicherry black pepper... fresh ground. Pinch of cardamom has made eyes light up when I add it. Cayenne if you don't have habenera stuck in them.

Bacon bacon bacon... did I mention bacon?

Long comfortable couch so after 2 burgers, 3 beers, and a load of fries you have a place to crash. Purring cats optional if they stay off your tummy.

: )
    michael

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

One of the stuffed burgers I love to make is:

Inside Out Smoked Bacon Cheese Burger.

Lean ground beef
    crisp fried bacon pieces
    kosher salt
    fresh cracked black pepper
    smoked cheddar cut into small cubes

Form ground beef into buns size thin patties.(I actually go a bit larger to allow for shrinkage.) Put a few pinches of bacon and cheese on half the patties, cover them with the other halves...pinch closed well. season both sides with s&p.
    Grill up to your desired doneness.
    I like mine with dill pickle slices, lettuce and mayo.
    Hubby likes his with a slice of american on top, lettuce and thousand island dressing or mircle whip and ketchup.

And the turkey burger is:

Parmesan Chive Turkey Burger

ground turkey (I like white, but you can NOT over cook!)
    handful of parmesan for each pound of meat
    half a handful of fresh snipped chives for each pound
    s&p
    Mix together quickly, grill, pan sear or bake, until "just done".

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Woodie for posting the lentil burger recipe.

Since we are doing the entire weekend with burgers I'm considering a veggie burger for Saturday Lunch and would like to read some veggie burger recipes before deciding on which one I make. We already eat Tofu burgers but I'd like to try something new.

I searched on the internet and most of the veggie burger recipes sound pretty strange. Any one have a T&T veggie burger recipe?

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Both of these are from Southern Living and there are a lot more in the Tailgating section

Chicken-Apple-Bacon Burgers Try Cooking Light!

Ingredients
    2 bacon slices
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, coarsely chopped
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Cooking spray
    1 granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut crosswise into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
    4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls

Preparation
    Prepare grill.
    Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, and crumble. Add onion to drippings in pan, and saute 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly.

Place chicken in a food processor; process until coarsely ground. Combine chicken, bacon, onion, sage, salt, and pepper. Divide chicken mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.

Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Place apple slices on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 1 minute on each side. Place rolls, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 1 minute or until toasted. Place patties on bottom halves of rolls; top each serving with 2 apple slices and top half of roll.

Yield
    Makes 4 servings

Mini Cajun Burgers With Easy Rémoulade Southern Living
    Prep: 20 min., Grill: 10 min. Prepare patties the night before the game. Stack between sheets of wax paper, place in a disposable plastic container, cover with lid, and refrigerate overnight. Transport patties safely by packing in a cooler with ice. They'll be ready for the grill once you arrive at your destination.

Ingredients
    1 1/4 pounds ground beef
    1/2 pound spicy Cajun sausage, finely chopped
    2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
    1 (14-oz.) package dinner rolls, split
    Green leaf lettuce
    Easy Rémoulade

Preparation
    1. Combine ground beef and sausage in a large bowl. Shape mixture into 12 (2 1/2-inch) patties, and place on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle patties evenly with Cajun seasoning. Cover and chill up to 1 day, if desired.
    2. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center. Serve on split rolls with green leaf lettuce and Easy Rémoulade.

Easy Rémoulade: Stir together 3/4 cup light mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp. Creole mustard, and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley. Cover and chill 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Makes 1 cup. Prep: 5 min., Chill: 30 min.

Yield
    Makes 12 appetizer servings

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Oooh Kathleen..those mini burgers sound yumm..

Two of my three boys love the Aidele Chicken apple sausages..But I wonder it the burger would translate to them as the "same"?

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

miche,

what if we are just winging it and have no real recipe to follow? i won't know what kind of burger i will be in the mood for until the time comes to enjoy it. does that disqualify a participant?

maryanne

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maryanne, you can do whatever you want. You don't have to follow a recipe or even post your recipe.

But after you post your pictures please share with us what you did even it's "abt 1/2 c. and abt a slight TBL of" or "I'm not quite sure but just enough to make it gooey".

Our virtual dinners are just for fun and sharing.

Michelle

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

okily dokily...thanks for the clarification.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

From Martha Stewart...

Burgers will shrink during grilling, so make the diameter of the patties about 1/2 inch larger than the buns for the perfect fit.

-Season patties on the outside only; this prevents overworking the meat while mixing in the seasonings.

-If serving a crowd, stack patties on a plate, separating layers with wax paper.

-Season just before grilling to avoid drawing moisture out of patties.

-Grill patties straight from the fridge; don't bring them to room temperature. To prevent cross-contamination, never return grilled burgers to the plate you put them on before cooking.

-Scrape grates clean before oiling and grilling to give burgers nice grill marks and keep them from sticking.

-Don't press on patties as they cook. This only squeezes out the juices and encourages flare-ups.

-Use a thin, wide spatula for turning. If the burger doesn't come off the grill immediately, it's too soon to turn it. Continue cooking, and once the meat forms a crust, you can lift it right off the grill.

First Published: July/August 2007

• gwtamara
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I mentioned this cook-off to our producers and they loved that you are planning to do this. Once you have it up and running, they'd like to feature it as a slideshow in the food section of iVillage. So, sort of fun and nice to know that people take notice. And, don't worry -- you don't have to do a thing. Just post along as usual and once we've created the feature, we'll be sure to let you know.

Also, thought you might be interested in some exisiting content:

101 Burger Builders
    5 Gourmet Burgers

Best,

Tamara
    GW Community Manager

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ah oh...now we know we are being watched. Should I wear makeup? ;)

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Oh, how exciting!!I'd better get my buns in shape..hamburger buns, ie!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I'm going to do mine Sunday at a friend's house. Just simple grilled burgers as my audience is not that food-sophisticated and one is downright picky.

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

all these virtual dinners and finally LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!

i'm debating making my own rolls/buns. anyone have a decent recipe for a nice, soft, delicious hamburger bun? i'd like to experiment before the big day.

thanks
    maryanne

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I am going to try AnnT's Potato Rosemary Rolls.

Potato Rosemary Rolls

Makes 18 small rolls or 12 hamburger sized buns

1 potato, cooked and mashed
    1 lb (3 1/2 cups) bread or all-purpose unbleached flour
    3/4 - 1 cup water
    2 teaspoons instant yeast
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary or 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground sage leaves

Cook the potato until soft, either by boiling or baking in the oven or microwave. For this batch I chopped up and boiled the potato. I then reserved a cup of the potato water to add to the loaf, figuring it had additional nutrients and starches that would help my loaf.

Mash the potato. Removing the skin prior to mashing is optional: if you are using tough skinned potatoes like russets I would suggest removing them, but with soft skinned potatoes such as yukon gold or red potatoes I typically leave them on. The chopped up skin add nice color and texture to your rolls.

Combine the flour, mashed potato, yeast, salt, pepper and herbs in a large bowl. Add 3/4 cups water and knead or mix for 5 to 10 minutes, adding more water or flour until a consistency you are comfortable working with is reached. I added close to a full cup of water and ended up with an extremely sticky dough that was difficult to work with. I was only able to shape the rolls by repeatedly dipping my fingers in flour. The end result was wonderful though.

(I encourage amateur bakers to push the limit of what they think they can handle, moisture-wise. More often than not you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results, though you can go too far and end up baking a pancake, which I've done more than once.)

Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a moist towel and let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, typically 60 to 90 minutes.

Remove the dough from the bowl, gently degas it, and shape it. For rolls or buns you can weigh them if you like or just eyeball them. I cut racquetball sized chunks of dough (larger than golf balls, smaller than tennis balls) then rolled them into balls in my well-floured hands. I placed them on a baking sheet covered with parchment, placed the entire sheet in a plastic trash bag, and set it aside to rise for approximately an hour again.

While the dough rose, I preheated the oven to 375 degrees.

If you have a spritzer, spray the top of the rolls with water right before placing them in the oven. Place them in the center rack and bake them for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan 180 degrees and bake them for another 10 to 20 minutes, depending on size. My large hamburger bun sized rolls took close to half an hour to bake. You'll know they are done when the bottom of the rolls is solid and slightly crispy. If you have a probe thermometer, check the temperature inside one of the rolls. When the internal temperature is approaching 200 degrees F, they are ready to pull out of the oven.

Allow the rolls to cool before serving. They keep very well too, so you could bake them a day or two ahead of time and still serve them for Thanksgiving.

Michelle

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Not sure if I'll have company or not yet...my group is last minute for the most part. I don't have any recipes to share at this time. The ones posted so far sound good, I may try some of them depending on how many may be here for the evening.

One thing I would like to try is to grind my own meat. I've never taken that on yet. Can I do that with a FP? I don't have a meat grinder. If so, what cut or combo of cuts should I use? I'm thinking it would be fun to compare homemade ground meat to the ground meat from the store or butcher.

I was thinking about making buns so it's good to see Ann's recipe posted above. Any other recipes for good buns from the group?? I've never made them before and always buy them at the store or bakery. They must be toasted on the grill though! I'm thinking I remember one from several year ago that included wine in the recipe.... or maybe it was a marbled rye combo??? I'm thinking Lars or Kframe posted it??? I like a heartier, crustier bread rather than the softer type of bun for my burger.

As far as sides go......I'm thinking fries, onion rings, or Lay's Potatoe Chips with a homemade dip. The pan fried onion dip is one of our favorites.

Even though Julia made a great burger in a cast iron skillet on one of her shows....I'll be using one of my grills!! LOL!

David

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Yikes!!! Our 15 minutes of fame!!! Was going to do my standby burger using my homemade chile sauce, now I'm thinking I may try and get a bit more creative. LOL

I was thinking of doing rolls as well. I recall someone posting pics of gorgeous hamburger rolls but I can't reall who. If we don't get the recipe here I'll start a thread requesting it.

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

David, I ground my pork for the Sausagethon in my FP with no problems. I cubed up the pork shoulder and put, I think, 3 cups at a time into the FP and pulsed 2-3 times and it was ground perfectly. Be careful with how many times you pulse as it can and will make the meat into mush which is not what you want.

David could you post the recipe for the pan fried onion dip? Thanks.

Onion rings sound great....YUM!

Michelle

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Debbie had posted these and they look great. I might go with these. Except for the mustard!

Mexican Burgers
    from debbie814
    ===============
    1 lb ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
    1 jalapeno
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp Tequila
    1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

sour dough bread

Top with:
    sliced tomato
    avocado
    salsa
    mustard

1. Finely chop onion, jalapeno and cilantro.

2. Combine beef, egg, cilantro, jalapeno, onion, salt, tequila and
    pepper in large bowl.

3. Divide into 4 patties.

4. Cut up the tomatoes and avocado and set aside for topping.

5. Grill burgers on each side for 4 minutes for medium doneness.

6. Toast bread lightly, if desired.

7. Top burger with avocado and tomato slices. Serve with salsa and mustard.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

This is getting more fun by the minute. I made Kaiser buns no long ago. If anyone needs the recipe, let me know.

Nancy

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips on grinding meat in the FP Michelle.

Nancy, I'd like your recipe please. If not for this dinner for a future venture in baking.

Here is the dip recipe. There is one floating around from Alton Brown too. I'm thinking they are basically the same thing.

David

Barefoot Contessa Pan-Fried Onion Dip Ina Garten
    2 large yellow onions
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise, not light
    Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds.
    (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
    Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
    Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
    Allow the onions to cool.
    Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
    Add the onions and mix well.
    Taste for seasonings.
    Serve at room temperature.

Note: I chop the onions. I didn't like the long strings of onion the first time I made this.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

David, here's the recipe I used along with another recipe for Onion Buns.

Kaiser Rolls (King Arthur Flour recipe)

3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3/4 cup water

Manual Method:In a large bowl, or the bowl of your electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients, stirring till the dough forms a cohesive mass and begins to clear the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, then allow it to rest for 10 minutes (which gives the dough a chance to absorb the liquid, and the gluten in the flour a chance to relax.) Knead the dough for an additional 5 minutes, or until it's smooth and supple. The dough should be quite stiff, but not at all "gnarly;" adjust its consistency with additional flour or water, as necessary. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise till it's noticeably puffy, about 1 hour.

Bread Machine Method:Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your machine, program the machine for manual or dough, and press start. About 10 minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle, examine the dough's consistency; it should be quite stiff, but not at all "gnarly;" adjust it consistency with additional flour or water, as necessary. Allow the machine to complete its cycle.

Shaping:Transfer the dough to a lightly greased work surface, and divide it into six equal pieces. Shape the pieces into round balls, and place them on a lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Working with one ball of dough at a time, center your kaiser stamp over the dough. Press down frimly, cutting to the bottom but not all the way through the dough. This is important; if you don't cut deeply enough, the shape disappears as the roll bakes; if you cut too deeply (all the way through), the roll will form "petals" as it rises and look like a daisy, not a kaiser roll. Practice makes perfect! Repeat with the remaining rolls.

Place the rolls cut-side down (yes-cut-side down--this helps them retain their shape) onto a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover the rolls, and allow them to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they've almost doubled in volume. Turn the rolls cut-side up. Dip tops in milk and coat with poppy or sesame seeds, if desired.

Bake the rolls in a preheated 425°F oven vor 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a wire rack.Yield: six large kaiser rolls.

ONION HAMBURGER ROLLS 2 eggs, divided 2 medium onions finely chopped, divided 1/4 cup butter 3/4 cup warm water 105 to 115 degrees 1 tablespoon dry yeast 1 teaspoon granulated sugar 3 cups (or more) bread flour 2 tablespoons instant dry milk powder 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided A pinch of mace (Optional but enhances flavor) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Melt butter, add onion and cook over medium heat until soft but not browned. Add yeast and sugar to hot water and let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. In a food processor, combine 3 cups of flour, 1 egg, milk powder, 1 teaspoon salt and all but 1/4 cup of the sauteed onion. With the processor running, pour yeast mixture through feed tube and mix until dough is uniformly moist and cleans side of work bowl, about 40 seconds. If dough is too sticky add more flour 1 teaspoon at a time until mixed in. Transfer dough to greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, let double in size...about 1 hour. Grease a baking sheet and set aside. Punch down dough and turn onto lightly floured surface and divide into ten pieces if making hamburg rolls. Shape into a ball and flatten to a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Arrange 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Mix remaining egg with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brush rolls with this glaze. Gently press 1 teaspoon of reserved onion onto tops of each roll. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let stand until almost doubled in size about 45 minutes. Bake rolls on center rack about 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to wire rack and cover with a kitchen towel until cool. If you want a hard crust then do not cover with a towel. Nancy
  • Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Well I was going to make the Honey Wheat Rolls..but I might just make one of Nancys recipes...

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thought I would let you know that there is a mustard thread over on Harvest that just might have the perfect condiment for your burgers.

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

Homemade buns and mustard ? I am skeered of you all :)

I have never made my own buns ... lol ... this will be fun.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

LOL Ohiomom!!!! No one says you have to make homemade buns... :P
    I only do on special occasions.... but hey, why not step out of the box once in a while?

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I'll have to look closer at that thread on Mustard making..I was going to just follow the Penzey directions one of these days and make it from their ground mustard. LOL

• debbie814
    16 years ago

LOL Ohiomom :-) I have a great recipe for homemade ketchup that I should post.

Carol, we're doing the Mexican Burgers as well. And we'll use mustard. Give it a try with the mustard. It really is good, unless you don't care for mustard.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Debbie, I love mustard, just never had it on a burger! I'll give it a try :)

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a great recipe for homemade ketchup that I should post.

I'd like to see the ketchup recipe, please. Although being a Chicagoan, ketchup is the same as sunshine to a vampire.

OhioMom, I was thinking about making some Focaccia, slicing it lengthwise and putting the burger on this. I've had it before at restaurants and it is deliciuos. And there is not much easier then Focaccia.

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I'm thinking I might make mini burgers for the boys..You serve it on grilled sliced bagette. They'd get a kick out of it...And we'll probably do it on Sunday that weekend, because there's no football obligations..

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks Michelle :) I thought about making some whole wheat buns. I do love Focaccia though, and have an easy recipe for it, I will have to give this some thought.

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops forgot to post the Focaccia recipes:

Focaccia Bread (My recipe)

1 1/3 c. warm tap water
    2 1/2 tsp (1 envelope) active dry yeast
    6 TBL. Olive Oil
    3 1/4 c. Flour
    2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. Kosher Salt

10 1/2 by 15 1/2 Jelly Roll Pan

1. Measure water into bowl and whisk in yeast and 3 TBL Oil.

2. Measure Flour and 2 tsp. salt into bowl. Mix.

3. Stir yeast/water into Flour. Cover bowl and let rise.

4. Spread 1 1/2 TBL. Oil on baking pan. Turn dough out onto pan and press into edges. Cover the dough with a piece of oiled plastic wrap and allow it ot rise again until doubled up to an hour.

5. Preheat oven to 450 Degrees

6. Poke cavities into dough at 2" intervals.

7. Drizzle remaining 1 1/2 TBL Oil and sprinkle with Kosher Salt.

8. Bake until brown on edges.

Note: Keep you eye on this bread as it bakes quickly. When it starts pulling away from the edges of the pan it is done.

NOTE: I dribble more EVOO on top of bread.

Focaccia (Wolfgang Puck)

1 cup warm water
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    1/2 oz. (1 packet) dry yeast
    2 3/4 cups bread flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme (or rosemary)
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    1 tablespoons olive oil + 1 tablespoon

Combine 1/4 cup of the warm water with sugar and yeast. Allow mixture to stand for 10 minutes, if it doubles continue.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil and pepper.

Mix in 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining ¾ cup warm water and yeast mixture.

When dough comes together, turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.

Lightly oil a bowl and place dough in it turning to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth, let rise in warm place for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450°.

Coat a 10X15-inch jelly roll pan with olive oil.

Place dough on pan and using your fingers pat to fill pan.

Drizzle top lightly with olive oil.

Sprinkle with coarse ground pepper as desired.

Allow to rise again 15 to 20 minutes.

Bake 15 minutes until golden.

Michelle

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a chutney recipe that I found that sounds good as a condiment.

Tomato Mustard Seed Chutney

2 large ripe tomatoes peeled & seeded
    1 Tablespoon mustard seed
    1 Tablespoon diced fresh ginger
    1/4 Cup diced red onion
    1/2 Cup sugar
    1/2 Cup rice wine vinegar

To make the chutney you will need a heavy
    saucepan. Place the saucepan over moderate
    heat and add the sugar. Melt the sugar until it
    caramelizes. Stir the rice wine vinegar into the
    sugar; once incorporated add the ginger,
    mustard seed, red onion, and diced tomatoes.
    Cook on a low heat until the liquid is absorbed.
    Cool and set aside.

And a Mustard Focaccia:

Mustard Infused Focaccia

1 lb all purpose flour
    1 lb bread flour
    1/2 ounce salt
    1 oz yeast
    2 c water, 110 degrees
    1/3 c sugar
    2 oz Dry Mustard
    2 oz olive oil

Combine the All Purpose Flour, Bread Flour and
    salt with a dough hook. Combine the Yeast,
    Water, Sugar, and Colemans Dry Mustard, proof
    (allow to stand) for 5 minutes. Add Olive Oil to
    the Yeast / Water mixture. Pour liquid mixture
    into dry. Process dough until elastic,
    approximately 10 minutes. Turn dough out into
    oiled bowl and cover with a clean towel. Allow
    dough to rise 2 hours. Punch down every 45
    minutes (two times). Pour dough out onto oiled
    sheetpan and bake in 350-degree oven for
    approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and
    cool, then cut into pieces.

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Wow..Yummm Michelle..I think I might have to try the focaccia this week..just cuz...

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just bumping this up so anyone else with ideas can post.

We still have 10 days to prepare so there is plenty of time. And don't think that you need to make a gourmet recipe, juicy burgers with mustard is fine.

Michelle

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Whew, I had forgotten about it and seeing this thread up again I thought it was this weekend. I still have time to figure out a good veggie burger. I may try the lentil one that was posted above, but I'm wondering if I could do a variation of the Mexican burger using black beans somehow. I'm going to experiment with it.

I love onion rings but I've never made them. I have a deep fat fryer that we picked up at a garage sale I could dust off. Does anyone have a good onion ring recipe? Of course, would onion rings go with Mexi-burgers? Oh, why not!

I sure am getting hungry reading this thread.

Sally

• debbie814
    16 years ago

Michelle, I'll type up the ketchup recipe and post by the weekend. I'm a slow typist :-) The ketchup is delicious and worth the extra effort.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Here's one from bon appetit, that I haven't tried yet.

PORCINI-GORGONZOLA BURGERS WITH VEAL DEMI-GLACE (not my pic)

A true demi-glace the luscious sauce made by reducing homemade stock and red wine to a rich concentration needs to simmer for several hours, making it the perfect activity for a lazy winter Sunday.
    Demi-glace
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 1/2 pounds meaty veal bones (such as shank knuckle bones or neck bones)
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 medium carrot, chopped
    1 celery stalk with leaves, chopped
    12 cups cold water, divided
    2 teaspoons tomato paste
    3 fresh parsley sprigs
    2 fresh thyme sprigs
    1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
    2 cups dry red wine
    Burgers
    2 cups water
    1 1/2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms,* broken into 1/2-inch pieces
    3 pounds ground sirloin
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter
    6 4-inch square or round sourdough rolls, halved horizontally
    Fresh arugula
    Olive oil
    6 1/4-inch-thick slices Gorgonzola cheese
    For demi-glace:
    Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add veal bones and sauté until deep brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer bones to bowl. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pot. Sauté until browned, about 6 minutes. Add 2 cups cold water, tomato paste, herbs, and peppercorns; bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add bones with any accumulated juices, then remaining 10 cups water to pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until stock is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, about 4 hours. Strain into 4-cup glass measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Refrigerate stock uncovered 1 hour.
    Spoon off fat from surface of stock. Place stock in heavy medium saucepan; add wine and simmer until reduced to 1 cup demi-glace, about 25 minutes. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
    For burgers:
    Bring 2 cups water and mushrooms to boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand until mushrooms soften, about 20 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to medium skillet. Slowly pour soaking liquid into skillet, leaving any sediment behind. Boil over medium-high heat until liquid is reduced to glaze, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Cool mushrooms. Transfer to work surface; chop mushrooms coarsely.
    Transfer mushrooms and any juices to large bowl. Add meat, salt, and pepper; mix gently. Shape mixture into six 1-inch-thick patties. Place on foil-lined baking sheet. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
    Preheat broiler. Rewarm demi-glace over medium-low heat; add butter and whisk until melted. Remove from heat. Place rolls, cut side up, on baking sheet. Broil until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove rolls; maintain broiler setting. Arrange roll bottoms on plates. Top with arugula. Heat 2 large broilerproof skillets over medium-high heat; brush with oil. Add 3 burgers to each skillet. Cook to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Top each burger with slice of cheese. Broil burgers until cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Place burgers on roll bottoms; spoon some demi-glace over. Cover with roll tops. Serve, passing remaining demi-glace separately.
    *Dried porcini mushrooms are available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores, and many supermarkets.
    Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
    January 2004

Great ideas at this site, too, - I will possibly make 2 kinds - one for kids one for grownups.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Oh, here's Ina's "Real hamburgers".

Real Hamburgers - Barefoot contessa
    2 pounds ground chuck
    1 pound ground sirloin
    3 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: Crosse & Blackwell)
    6 extra-large egg yolks
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
    12 hamburger buns

Carefully mix the meats, steak sauce, egg yolks, salt, and pepper with the tines of a fork, but do not mash it. Lightly form each hamburger and lightly press into a patty shape. Make an indentation and put a thin slice of butter inside each hamburger, making sure the butter is entirely encased in the meat.
    Heat a grill, broiler, or saute pan and cook the hamburgers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until almost done. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the hamburgers to rest for 5 minutes and serve immediately on buns.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Well I have my burger figured out but.....we have decided to go away next weekend so....I'll cook my burger Wednesday or Thursday.

Michelle. if I email you the picture can you post it on the actual Cook Off thread for me?

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

I think I may have some people up next weekend so I'm excited about that. I was going to do just traditional burgers but I'll be looking over all of the recipes posted and making a final decision next week. There are some great options to pick from for sure.

Sally, I don't have a recipe so to speak...more so a method. I like to slice the onions and soak them in Buttermilk for a few hours. Then I put them in seasoned flour and fry. I usually just use salt and pepper but I've been known to add some cayenne for a little heat and or some garlic powder. I've cut them thick, medium , or very thin. That is a personal preference/taste option.

A lot of people don't like deep frying anything because of the leftover smell. I'll do it outside if the weather permits. If not, I've found that burning a few candles or oil lamps takes care of the lingering fry/oil smell....it works with fish too.....and that smell/odor can really linger...LOL

David

• debbie814
    16 years ago

Even though this is a bit time consuming, it is wonderful on burgers and fries. We loved the ketchup so much when we had it at the restaurant, that we bought their cookbook.

Famous Tomato Ketchup "Recipes from HOME" - David Page and Barbara Shinn

"Our homemade ketchup is the only one served at our restaurant. After all, the motto at Home Restaurant is Fine Wine, Fine Ketchup.

2 large onions, sliced about 2/3 inch thick
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
    10 garlic cloves, peeled
    ¼ cup capers with their brine
    ¼ cup Tabasco sauce
    1 tablespoon Home Spice Mix (listed below)
    ¾ teaspoon mild paprika
    ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¾ teaspoon ground allspice
    ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
    ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
    ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
    3 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
    2 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat the broiler.

Toss the onion slices with the olive oil and broil them until charred, about 8 minutes on each side.

Put the onions and all the remaining ingredients in a deep heavy nonreactive pot. Simmer uncovered over low heat for about 3 hours, stirring every 15 minutes to break up the tomatoes and to keep the ketchup from sticking to the bottom of the pot. The mixture will thicken. Puree the ketchup in batches in a food processor or blender. If the pureed ketchup seems too thin, return it to the pot and simmer until it is as thick as you like it. This ketchup keeps well refrigerated for up to 4 weeks. Makes 3 quarts.

Home Spice Mix: (this spice mix is used at the restaurant, in quite a few of the recipes) .
    1/3 cup cumin seeds
    1/3 coriander seeds
    1/3 cup yellow mustard seeds

Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the cumin seeds and toss occasionally until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate to cool, and repeat with the coriander seeds and then the mustard seeds.

When the spices are cool, coarsely grind them together in a spice grinder or in a mortar with a pestle. Makes ¾ cup.

• msafirstein
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle. if I email you the picture can you post it on the actual Cook Off thread for me?

Sorry been at the MI Run with some "funny look'n" people in a "general sorta way".

Sure, I can post your pics for you. Send them directly to beans at rocketmail.com

Michelle

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks, David! I never would have thought of soaking the onion rings in buttermilk, but that sounds real good.

I came home from work yesterday to the house smelling strongly of fried food. My son has just started culinary school, and they just had a unit on frying food. He decided to practice, and made deep fried chicken, mushrooms and french fries. I rarely fry things due to the issue of what to do with the left over oil, not to mention the calories. But, now and then it's fun, and definately fun to eat! I definately want to try those onion rings the way you do it.

Sally

• mtnester
    16 years ago

Glad this post came to the top again: I need some advice. The ground beef I use is 15% fat. I usually make a plain-Jane burger with no additions except for onion flakes and Montreal seasoning. However, sometimes the burgers get very dry. What's the trick (other than going to a higher grade of fat) to make them more juicy? Or am I just overcooking them?

Sue

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Sue, with 15% fat..you must be over cooking them..
    That's the percent I use..sometimes I mix it with some 7% too...

• mtnester
    16 years ago

Terri, I think you're right. I tend to get distracted while food is cooking, and then suddenly it's overdone (pathetic, huh?). Tonight, however, I watched the pan carefully, and the burgers were still pink inside and pretty juicy. They were also quite tasty. Thanks for the link, too, but I don't mix meat and milk.

I have another thought on this: my store has just begun using a vacuum pack for ground meat; instead of a 1-day expiration, it's supposed to be good for a couple weeks. The freshness of the meat is probably a factor, too.

Sue

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County