Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chicken leg quarters

Posted by mikie (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 11:03

How do I simply cook chicken leg quarters.
Grocery had them on sale so I bought their a 5 pack for $1.10 . Smallest/cheapest pack they had.
Now I'm not sure how to deal with them before they go bad.

Hate to freeze things like that because 9 months from now I'll wonder if its still any good. And I hate thaw things out.
But if I can simply cook them and use them through the week(end) for fast meal with a nuked potato and veggies.. I might go back for more early next week while they're still on sale.

Thanks!

mikiebookmark chicken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chicken leg quarters

Put them into a fryapn that has a lid, put about 1/2 inch of water in the bottom, turn the heat to medium and simmer until done....about 30 to 45 minutes. Temove skin (which will be soft and sloppy) and remove bones and there's your meat.
Or put them on a jelly roll pan covered with foil ( I am lazy!), sprinkle with salt and pepper, and perhaps garlic powder....maybe Lowrey's seasoned salt...and bake at 375 for 40 minutes....or at 425 for for 25 minutes.
The skin will be crispy.
Linda C

o

Most of the time I just cook them like fried chicken in a pan on the stove or roast in the oven (I don't use foil), then about 15 minutes before they are done I brush the skin with BBQ sauce. If you have a meat thermometer, test the thigh in the thickest part to see that it is 180 degrees.

There's lots of recipes around for chicken leg quarters, if you want to get fancier....

Nancy

o

This recipe is very easy and very good; you could use the leg quarters or just thighs:

Chicken Oreganato

"Lemon and oregano deftly flavor this accommodating chicken dish--you can serve it hot, cold or at room temperature."
INGREDIENTS:
7 chicken thighs
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. Wash chicken well and pat dry. Mix oregano with salt and pepper to taste. Rub well over all of the chicken pieces. Put chicken in a greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. Whisk the oil with the lemon juice and drizzle half over the chicken. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces and drizzle with the remaining oil/lemon mixture. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm, cold or at room temperature!

o

Personally the prefered method of cooking for leg quarters is the grill..But injected first, because I'm not fond of thigh meat on it's own. But I love it injected with whatever favorite seasonings, then let marinate for a bit.

My husband actually cooks them..and he puts the whole lot in a foil pan on the grill covered with foil and lets them essentially steam to cook through, then takes them off, slathers with BBQ sauce and lets them get sticky.

Yummmy..I could eat that meat cold, hot or whatever...

o

I agree either on the BBQ or in the oven with salt, pepper and garlic powder and bake.

Linda

o

This one's a forum favorite, and you can use whatever chicken pieces you have:

Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil and/or oregano
S & P to taste

1 3-1/2 pound fryer chicken, cut up
25 garlic cloves
3/4 cup chicken broth

In a small bowl, stir to combine, the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, 1/4 cup of the herbs, and salt and pepper.

Preheat oven to 425F. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, and pour the lemon-herb mixture over. Arrange the garlic cloves all around the chicken, stirring them to coat with the mixture. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden brown.

Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the broth to the pan and place on top of the stove over medium-high heat. Stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, while smooshing the roasted garlic to thicken the sauce slightly. I like to transfer the chicken to a platter, pour the sauce over the chicken and then, garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons herbs and lemon wedges.

o

Mikie : They are so easy to cook , you will be amazed.
You can cook like all the others said or

throw them in a pan,rub on some oil ; sprinkle with Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Parsley flakes,
along with potatoes, Onions, and Carrots.Put a little water in the pan.

Bake them in the oven at about 325 Deg. for about 1 1/2 hrs. or until they are browned nicely.
Enjoy !!!!! LOU

o

OK.
I found two 8 inch square brownie pans? Scrubbed them well and lined them with foil. Poured into one some oil and orange juice. Then washed the chicken well and dipped & flopped and rubbed them around in the oil/oj mixture. Poured out the oil/oj left overs into a can.

Arranged my chicken in the pans and dribbled onto them a bit more of the oil and oj mixture.. then added maybe 3 ounces each of water and oj to the pans.
Sprinked on some Badia Complete Seasoning (tasty & cheap). Covered with foil and they are in the oven right now at 375. Figure I'll unconver them in maybe half an hour & take them out in 40 minutes... maybe bbq in one pan.
Set thetimer for 40 minutes. Hopefully I dont forget .. Hopefully that's cooked.

I've not had much experience in oven nor chicken cooking.

Stuck a couple of foil wrapped small idaho baking potato's in the over too.

Mucho Thanks to everyone for the help & idea's!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here